Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by joe_miami
How long ago did you apply for the BA card? Shutdowns typically occur after an approval, not during the approval process.

I have to say: If Chase shut you down, I wouldn't blame them. I can't believe banks let customers abuse them to the tune of 19 cards opened and 15 cards closed.
Abuse? They gave him the card and another card and another card and .... willingly. Banks are still making $ hand over fist and don't need protection from "abuse" (they could just disallow sign-on bonus etc).
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen
Abuse? They gave him the card and another card and another card and .... willingly. Banks are still making $ hand over fist and don't need protection from "abuse" (they could just disallow sign-on bonus etc).
Your second sentence has nothing to do with the first, nor did I say banks needed "protection from abuse." I said I was surprised banks haven't cracked down sooner and harder.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Just to shed a little more light on my shutdown, my request for them to reconsider was declined.

My fico is 732, credit utilization was at 16% and I only had about 50,000 in credit (40,000 was with Chase) and make about 150,000 a year and own my home outright, no mortgage. The cards were about 2 years old.

I have been approved for a city prestige card and will likely add another card to my portfolio soon so that I will have a citi, my amex plat and whatever other card I decide to get. Really discouraged as I dont understand the shutdown, the only thing I was told was too many open accounts and too many recent applications but many people have WAY more accounts and inquiries than I did. I had a total of 9 credit accounts including a couple of store accounts and had 5 inquiries. No delinquencies on my credit report. Live and learn I guess, but I just really fail to see how I was an unsatisfactory customer to them.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
try the CFPB
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jinrop
Just to shed a little more light on my shutdown, my request for them to reconsider was declined.

My fico is 732, credit utilization was at 16% and I only had about 50,000 in credit (40,000 was with Chase) and make about 150,000 a year and own my home outright, no mortgage. The cards were about 2 years old.

I have been approved for a city prestige card and will likely add another card to my portfolio soon so that I will have a citi, my amex plat and whatever other card I decide to get. Really discouraged as I dont understand the shutdown, the only thing I was told was too many open accounts and too many recent applications but many people have WAY more accounts and inquiries than I did. I had a total of 9 credit accounts including a couple of store accounts and had 5 inquiries. No delinquencies on my credit report. Live and learn I guess, but I just really fail to see how I was an unsatisfactory customer to them.
Something is odd here. Your house is paid off, you have no delinquencies/negatives, and your utilization is under 20%, but your FICO is only 732? Do you have a very short credit history?

If your only non-Chase cards at the time of shutdown were the $1,000 Barclaycard and the Amex Plat, Chase might see you as too aggressively seeking credit if you tried to add a fifth and sixth Chase card in addition to the Chase AU.
Happy, RNE and Diplomatico like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:58 pm

Something is odd here. Your house is paid off, you have no delinquencies/negatives, and your utilization is under 20%, but your FICO is only 732? Do you have a very short credit history?

If your only non-Chase cards at the time of shutdown were the $1,000 Barclaycard and the Amex Plat, Chase might see you as too aggressively seeking credit if you tried to add a fifth and sixth Chase card in addition to the Chase AU.

Yes, my credit history is rather short, with all the new chase cards it put my average credit age at a little over 3 years. I just made 30, Ive never had a mortgage (inherited my home) or a car note. 732 while not excellent is still not a bad credit score and I realize I am still building my credit profile, I was just quite shocked to be shut down. It's a bit unfortunate as I really liked the service previously received from chase, it had been excellent, but Citi seems to be more than happy to take my business.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Yes, my credit history is rather short, with all the new chase cards it put my average credit age at a little over 3 years. I just made 30, Ive never had a mortgage (inherited my home) or a car note. 732 while not excellent is still not a bad credit score and I realize I am still building my credit profile, I was just quite shocked to be shut down. It's a bit unfortunate as I really liked the service previously received from chase, it had been excellent, but Citi seems to be more than happy to take my business.
No need to answer if you don't want to, but is the short credit history due to the fact you didn't have any credit accounts until you were well into your 20s or because of prior delinquencies? Chase has been known to shut people down if, e.g., they included Chase account(s) in a bankruptcy or left Chase with an unpaid charge-off(s).

You're right that 732 isn't a bad credit score; it's just lower than I would have expected when I saw that your house was paid off, etc. (I read that to mean a mortgage was paid off, which would normally suggest a much longer credit history.)
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:40 pm

No need to answer if you don't want to, but is the short credit history due to the fact you didn't have any credit accounts until you were well into your 20s or because of prior delinquencies? Chase has been known to shut people down if, e.g., they included Chase account(s) in a bankruptcy or left Chase with an unpaid charge-off(s).
Only delinquincy Ive ever had was a 30 day late mark when I was in college that is off my report due to time now and that account was closed by me shortly after, and I didnt have another card other than a debit card until a few years ago. Definitely no bankruptcy or charge offs in my past . I was using my CSR quite a bit, sometimes spending 10-15k a month which may seem strange due to my income, but I have other assets that allow me to spend above my income. I sometimes left balances on my accounts as I was under the impression that doing so as long as I stayed under 30% was actually a good way to improve my payment history and raise my score.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am perplexed here because you said you carried balance(s) on your card(s) from time to time. With your stated income, no mortgage, no car loan, and 150K annual income, why would you carry a balance?

The short 3 years history should not be a big factor as I have read about people who are younger, being still in Grad school or PhD programs, from other countries, who have short credit histories that are shu tdown by Chase all are able to reinstate their accounts, some even got apology letters from Chase together with account reinstation without them doing anything / calling Chase as the apology letters came rather quickly, as in 2 weeks time.
In one crazy story the person who was shut down because she opened several Chase co-branded cards, and AMEX cards, after 2 or 3 denials of reinstation over the phone, she SMed Chase with a long message stated the reasons why she should not be shut down, esp in light of the opening of co-branded cards (families came to vist and required hotel stays, airline tickets etc etc). Her accounts were all restored a week after the SM sent. The fact that she has bank accounts with Chase that has reasonable level of balances and activities and she emphasized this in her plead, probably did help her case.

Something else Chase is looking at and Chase does not like it.

What is the nature of those 10 to 15K spend on your CSR?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I am perplexed here because you said you carried balance(s) on your card(s) from time to time. With your stated income, no mortgage, no car loan, and 150K annual income, why would you carry a balance?

What is the nature of those 10 to 15K spend on your CSR?
The small balance carry was because I was at one point told keeping a smallish balance and paying on it over time was good for your credit history. The monthly spend is mostly airfare, hotels, and dining. I can work remotely and spend a lot of time traveling (but work for a real company and have proof of steady income. I did not share the total of my assets with chase.)

I contacted chase first thing on monday morning and the gentleman I spoke with pretty much blew me off but said he would submit me for review. Said it could take up to 10 days but I could call back at the end of the week for an update and I did and was told they were choosing to end the relationship. I will not beg and call multiple times and bend over backwards to salvage the relationship, I will just take my business to another bank.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
While I have not been shut down and don't have reason to believe I would be, these cases are a cause for concern to me

I recently applied for the WN Visa( to ensure CP) and was denied for the first time ever,for any lender. Chase's reason-too many accounts I am "associated with". I assume these are my spouse's accounts,as we are AU on many of each others accounts,with similar FICO scores.

The only account I have opened in the last 24 months or so has been a HH Surpass.
835 FICO(on 850 scale). No MS ,utilization very low. I charge 10K or so monthly spread across several cards,depending on various travel assignments. No blemishes on credit reports.

I did not contact recon, mainly because I want to keep our current accounts open and not in jeopardy as we near retirement, and truthfully,I did not want eyes on these accounts,mostly because of some of these reports of closures that seem baseless.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Only delinquincy Ive ever had was a 30 day late mark when I was in college that is off my report due to time now and that account was closed by me shortly after, and I didnt have another card other than a debit card until a few years ago. Definitely no bankruptcy or charge offs in my past . I was using my CSR quite a bit, sometimes spending 10-15k a month which may seem strange due to my income, but I have other assets that allow me to spend above my income. I sometimes left balances on my accounts as I was under the impression that doing so as long as I stayed under 30% was actually a good way to improve my payment history and raise my score.
Something does not add up here.....at all. Forget the "other assets" you have which you do everything but come out and say are significant. There is simply no way you only have a credit score of 732 unless you have some form of negativity on it.....not based on the other parameters you give....no debt, six figure income, etc. Also, carrying a balance in an attempt to improve your FICO score may be the worst decision I have ever heard
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Something does not add up here.....at all. Forget the "other assets" you have which you do everything but come out and say are significant. There is simply no way you only have a credit score of 732 unless you have some form of negativity on it.....not based on the other parameters you give....no debt, six figure income, etc. Also, carrying a balance in an attempt to improve your FICO score may be the worst decision I have ever heard
OP has plenty of "negativity" in their score--never had a mortgage, never had a car loan, probably never had a student loan, and has high utilization and short credit history. These will all weigh on one's score. 732 sounds exactly right to me.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:23 am
RNE

My credit utilization was at 16% and I only had about 50,000 in credit (40,000 was with Chase)...
Given a $50k credit line, your 16% utilization would mean about an $8k balance on your credit cards. A pittance to someone earning $150k annually. Am I correct to assume you pay that off every month? If not, please enlighten me.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
OP has plenty of "negativity" in their score--never had a mortgage, never had a car loan, probably never had a student loan, and has high utilization and short credit history. These will all weigh on one's score. 732 sounds exactly right to me.
These may be viewed as "negativity" as they are supposedly to show your payment history thus proves you are a responsible person, I dont agree these 3 "negativity" would have enough impact to affect score.
Our mortgages and car loan were decades ago and I dont even know if they ever show up on the credit reports. At least there are Zero records of them probably due to paying off so long ago they fell off. The subsequent residences and cars were all paid with cash. Never have a student loan.

But the first time we learned about our scores, when we opened a Wachovia (now Wells Fargo) checking account, the banker commented, "wow, you guys have very high scores." She would not let us see the actual numbers but said they were well above 750. She also commented we had quite a few credit cards which I pointed to her many of them were closed by customers, and all of them were paid in full without ever having a revolving balance. She nodded, "I noticed that." That was about 15 years ago.
I do notice that we seem to be stuck at the level just under 800 for a long long long time, and the above "negativity" often mentioned in those analytical tools, as being "no recurring payments type of loans". But who cares?! Credit worthiness has never been a factor in a denied application which everyone in this game would encounter a few no matter what.
FICO is an important factor in the sense it can be used as a cut off threshold, but it is not the determinant factor.

Yet, it is still odd that the poster has $10 to $15K monthly spend on travels, hotels, and dining - may be work related and being reimbursed - but the bank's black box probably just sees outsize spending in certain categories that do not fit a regular consumer profile and flag the accounts, then led to the eventual consequence.
Frankly, how many cardholder would spend $10 to $15K Every Month on the travel/hotel/dining catehories as a Consumer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.