FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:43 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinrop
Yes, my credit history is rather short, with all the new chase cards it put my average credit age at a little over 3 years. I just made 30, Ive never had a mortgage (inherited my home) or a car note. 732 while not excellent is still not a bad credit score and I realize I am still building my credit profile, I was just quite shocked to be shut down. It's a bit unfortunate as I really liked the service previously received from chase, it had been excellent, but Citi seems to be more than happy to take my business.
I am perplexed here because you said you carried balance(s) on your card(s) from time to time. With your stated income, no mortgage, no car loan, and 150K annual income, why would you carry a balance?

The short 3 years history should not be a big factor as I have read about people who are younger, being still in Grad school or PhD programs, from other countries, who have short credit histories that are shu tdown by Chase all are able to reinstate their accounts, some even got apology letters from Chase together with account reinstation without them doing anything / calling Chase as the apology letters came rather quickly, as in 2 weeks time.
In one crazy story the person who was shut down because she opened several Chase co-branded cards, and AMEX cards, after 2 or 3 denials of reinstation over the phone, she SMed Chase with a long message stated the reasons why she should not be shut down, esp in light of the opening of co-branded cards (families came to vist and required hotel stays, airline tickets etc etc). Her accounts were all restored a week after the SM sent. The fact that she has bank accounts with Chase that has reasonable level of balances and activities and she emphasized this in her plead, probably did help her case.

Something else Chase is looking at and Chase does not like it.

What is the nature of those 10 to 15K spend on your CSR?