Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Trying again after Chase blacklisting: Data Points

Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

I figured that with enough of us blacklisted by Chase, but yet still jonesing for all of those good Chase cards, we could potentially learn something by posting info about trying to work with Chase again after being blacklisted.

For reference, the general "Chase Blacklisting" thread is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...account-s.html

For me:

2013-10 - Shutdown

2014-04 - Applied and was approved for United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card. Received the card in the mail the same day as a letter telling me it was already cancelled.

So, my blacklisting is clearly lasting longer than six months.

I've heard of people getting back in with Chase after 15 years. I'm hoping there's a shorter timeframe in there between six months and 15 years.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
I figured that with enough of us blacklisted by Chase, but yet still jonesing for all of those good Chase cards, we could potentially learn something by posting info about trying to work with Chase again after being blacklisted.

For reference, the general "Chase Blacklisting" thread is here:

For me:

2013-10 - Shutdown

2014-04 - Applied and was approved for United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card. Received the card in the mail the same day as a letter telling me it was already cancelled.

So, my blacklisting is clearly lasting longer than six months.

I've heard of people getting back in with Chase after 15 years. I'm hoping there's a shorter timeframe in there between six months and 15 years.
2014-08 - Shutdown

Won't be trying to get back in with Chase for the foreseeable future as other issuing banks offer more lucrative long-term products (IMO). Don't get me wrong, chase has a solid rewards currency and extremely lucrative sign-on bonuses but for the long term for myself and my family's travel goals other cards will work better.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:18 pm

It's been nearly a year since Chase blacklisted me. I'll probably wait for the two-year anniversary to pass, then try my first post-blacklist app. I'm not optimistic but would love to hear if others have gotten back into Chase's good graces within a reasonable period of time. I don't consider 15 years reasonable
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
It's been nearly a year since Chase blacklisted me. I'll probably wait for the two-year anniversary to pass, then try my first post-blacklist app. I'm not optimistic but would love to hear if others have gotten back into Chase's good graces within a reasonable period of time. I don't consider 15 years reasonable
I got shut down a while back. I have very high credit and never had such a situation. I should also state I did no MS to cause the shutdown. In any case about a year later I was back in good graces with Chase. They have some very good bonuses and I also have a business. I will also state that over the years I definitely had some sub par Chase card products and promotions. In fact I had card benefits where the benefits were refused to be honored. I take no sides. If the oromos are good I stay with them. I would suggest just applying for one Chase card initially. You know your scores so the higher the better. I see no issue a few months later getting other Chase cards. I have several and they have been fairly generous with lines. Again I mention I have high limits with other issuers and a stellar payment record with everyone.

Rob
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:57 am

I've been blacklisted about 18 months. Twice I've tries to get back in. Both times I took a hard inquiry, got approved, but had the account closed before the card arrived.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Wouldn't the reason for being blacklisted have a major impact on how long they refuse to do business with you? Seems like someone who had a $100K charge off for walking away from their bill may be gone for life while the churn abuser would get a much shorter sentence. Without that info, the data points are not very useful.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tev9999
Wouldn't the reason for being blacklisted have a major impact on how long they refuse to do business with you? Seems like someone who had a $100K charge off for walking away from their bill may be gone for life while the churn abuser would get a much shorter sentence. Without that info, the data points are not very useful.
Fair enough.

In my case, no charge off at all. No reason given for deposit account closures, and credit accounts were "prior unsatisfactory relationship."

Pretty sure most of us do not have chargeoffs who are here complaining.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:21 am

Trying to figure out why Chase would blacklist any of the above posters if they did nothing out of the ordinary
There is another thread that basically stated many accts were closed by banks for non-use or not enough use of their cards.

My mom was blacklisted by Citibank and she have not been able to get any from them. One rep said her record will clear in 7 yrs. (not sure if they made this number up or its actually true).
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sharka
Trying to figure out why Chase would blacklist any of the above posters if they did nothing out of the ordinary
There is another thread that basically stated many accts were closed by banks for non-use or not enough use of their cards.

My mom was blacklisted by Citibank and she have not been able to get any from them. One rep said her record will clear in 7 yrs. (not sure if they made this number up or its actually true).
There is full discussion of the hows and whys over here:

Bottom line: Chase never tells you specifically, so you don't know. Most likely, they don't like what you are doing because your activities require extra federal reporting and/or just cost them more money than you bring in fees, float, and merchant fees.

But see that other thread for full discussion.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Forgot about this thread!

2014-11 - back in action

2015-03 - second card

still going strong (or, rather, weakly, as I'm treading very lightly)
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:20 pm

This and some other post clearly indicate that such blacklisting, etc are not based on credit decision. That is why blacklisting is illegal.

Originally Posted by Father-of-3
I've been blacklisted about 18 months. Twice I've tries to get back in. Both times I took a hard inquiry, got approved, but had the account closed before the card arrived.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:38 pm

It is really very poor business practice to approve you, send card out and then cancel almost immediately. Although Chase may have some crazy byzarre reason for their own to do that intentionally. What could that be?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.