Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I would love to not do DD to Chase, the reason I need to do DD is to avoid the monthly fee. And I would only do $500 and send the rest of the paycheck to my main account. That way Chase won't know how much I make.
Originally Posted by Happy
Then in this case, just let the $500 sit there and only do transfer out or pay Chase cards once every few months when it adds up to $1500. $500 a month sitting idle is not going to break you finance I assume. Chase has thousands of our money in each of our accounts (both me and husband have our own individual biz/personal checking and saving accounts there though saving accounts are only for the cash bonus each calendar year.)
Agreed with letting $500 sit. In one of the other Chase shutdown threads the person attributed the shutdown to DD in and out with just enough left to avoid paying the fee.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
So, it seems Chase is purging I guess?

All my Chase CC's are now closed.

Have hardly done any MS with chase either in the last 8 months or so.

Just happened today, so, I have no other details.

UR accounts still seemed to be working, so, I've made all transfers and redemptions I could. Miles landed in UA nicely, don't see them at IHG yet...

EDIT: And just realized for added irony, this is about a year to the week that Citi performed the same stunt with me. March/April seems to be a bad bad bad time of year.

Last edited by thehawk75; Apr 3, 2014 at 3:12 pm
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Sorry to hear that. Can you give us details - how much was your MS 8 months before? Any checking account?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:26 pm

Sorry to hear that. Can you give us details - how much was your MS 8 months before? Any checking account?
The only MS was with IB/IP cards at OM during their $200 Visa/MC promo back in June.

I would have done some more the last few times OM ran the promo, but, since it was so much more publicized the last few times, I could hardly find any to buy.

That's it. All the rest is typical use Freedom only in 5X categories, but, since Freedom has such low cap, there's no MS going on there.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you didn't hear? Chase is the devil.

Makes is hard for me to really commit to shifting my Delta flights over to United, since United is tight with Chase at this point. And I really don't want to have anything to do with Chase anymore.

I'm thinking that no Chase = no United for me and my family.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
So you didn't hear? Chase is the devil.

Makes is hard for me to really commit to shifting my Delta flights over to United, since United is tight with Chase at this point. And I really don't want to have anything to do with Chase anymore.

I'm thinking that no Chase = no United for me and my family.
Are you able to redeem miles? I wish there was some way to earn YQ free Star miles apart from Chase.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure - I can redeem all day. I'm just loathe to spend $$ on UA since without a Chase UA card, I won't get a PQD waiver, so no status. That means I get a lot less return on my $$ if a flight is comparably priced on AA (or DL, assuming Amex still likes all of us).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:41 pm

Sure - I can redeem all day. I'm just loathe to spend $$ on UA since without a Chase UA card, I won't get a PQD waiver, so no status. That means I get a lot less return on my $$ if a flight is comparably priced on AA (or DL, assuming Amex still likes all of us).
Why do I fear that to be the next shoe to drop. Now... with AMEX... I do MS... a lot... Worst I've had is an FR and passed (granted that was a year ago).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Barclays is certainly getting into the Chase groove:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-com-visa.html
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure - I can redeem all day.
At low levels?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:52 pm

What irks me on this whole thing is, aside for a few GC's at OM during their promotions (when I could even find any on the shelves), is I haven't even done any AOR with Chase in nearly 2 years. I've actually paid AF on the Marriott, IHG, IB/IP cards too.

And... no MO deposits to Chase accounts either. I am a heavy MSer, but, not with Chase. I've kept pretty much clean relationship with them. So, if they're ready to close down my account... for simply only using my cards in 5X categories with minimal MS in the last 8 months... then... I kind of have a feeling I'm just a number in a much larger purge going on.

I'd recommend any who have a high UR point balance and have done 'any' MS (no matter how small) to consider sending a great number of those UR points to a safer home.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At low levels?
Nope. But in that regard, DL is even worse. AA has that market cornered, for me.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehawk75
... I'd recommend any who have a high UR point balance and have done 'any' MS (no matter how small) to consider sending a great number of those UR points to a safer home.
No question that UR points aren't safe with Chase (nor are Arrival miles safe with Barclays).

Yes, flexibility is nice. But the price you pay for that is that you can get wiped out.

Again, Amex stands out in the bank-mileage category here. But I'm all for getting these to airlines and hotels (or, with Barclays, cash) and not relying on these companies.

Of course, clawbacks could come next . . .
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:09 pm

Of course, clawbacks could come next . . .
damn, talk about giving them ideas
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:11 pm

@thehawk75 ... were any of your cards reporting balances for past few months ? I am wondering if chase did some soft pulls and found that you were hitting non-chase cards hard enough to be considered a risk ?

with the way these shutdowns are coming I am sure many would be caught with their pants down.... oh , and when I think of it I could be next in line...

Last edited by coolblues; Apr 3, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.