Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Majo79
I applied and was approved for two credit cards with Chase. 1. A Chase Sapphire Reserve 2. Chase Ritz Carlton. The first was applied for and approved on 10/26/2017 and the second was applied for and approved on 11/06/2017. I informed Chase that I would be traveling in Canada from 11/07/2017 to 11/13/2017. I was offered rush delivery on the Sapphire Reserve and was delivered to me before my departure date. On 11/12/2013 I received a message that my chase card had been removed from Apple Pay. I then logged in and found that both accounts had been closed despite me being on travel. I called Chase and was told that the risk analysis department had closed my accounts without any warning. I had not used more than 15% of my total available credit and was mostly on food and travel. I was also charged the $450 annual fee and had the card less than 10 days.
Welcome to Flyertalk!
What is the rest of the story? Had Chase shut you down before?
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I applied and was approved for two credit cards with Chase. 1. A Chase Sapphire Reserve 2. Chase Ritz Carlton. The first was applied for and approved on 10/26/2017 and the second was applied for and approved on 11/06/2017. I informed Chase that I would be traveling in Canada from 11/07/2017 to 11/13/2017. I was offered rush delivery on the Sapphire Reserve and was delivered to me before my departure date. On 11/12/2013 I received a message that my chase card had been removed from Apple Pay. I then logged in and found that both accounts had been closed despite me being on travel. I called Chase and was told that the risk analysis department had closed my accounts without any warning. I had not used more than 15% of my total available credit and was mostly on food and travel. I was also charged the $450 annual fee and had the card less than 10 days.
if you have not been shut down by Chase, then most likely the closure is caused by the rapid succession of applying Chase cards. The risk analysis dept may have done a soft pull to see your overall available credits from all other banks, your debt level, your usage history of available credits, etc etc and then determined you are a high risk customer and decided to fire you. Such closures have been reported happened a lot a few months ago. A good portion of such closures were subsequently reversed after customers and the risk analysis dept have had good talks.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by dickinson
Welcome to Flyertalk!
What is the rest of the story? Had Chase shut you down before?

Never had a relationship with Chase till these two cards. Clean credit reports, AAoA a little over 6 years. High 700’s across the board. Last hard inquiry was in January for a Barclays Arrival+ which I still have.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
if you have not been shut down by Chase, then most likely the closure is caused by the rapid succession of applying Chase cards. The risk analysis dept may have done a soft pull to see your overall available credits from all other banks, your debt level, your usage history of available credits, etc etc and then determined you are a high risk customer and decided to fire you. Such closures have been reported happened a lot a few months ago. A good portion of such closures were subsequently reversed after customers and the risk analysis dept have had good talks.
I have spoken to them twice since this has occurred. I’ve been asked to drop into a branch to submit my drivers license and passport when I return back home on Friday. I also submitted a CFPB complaint. Will update on the outcome. Was told a re-review would be complete by the 22nd.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:39 am

I have spoken to them twice since this has occurred. I’ve been asked to drop into a branch to submit my drivers license and passport when I return back home on Friday. I also submitted a CFPB complaint. Will update on the outcome. Was told a re-review would be complete by the 22nd.
The passport part is unusual - or maybe they want 2nd form if ID. Could be simply checking it's you that's applying.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I’ve been asked to drop into a branch to submit my drivers license and passport when I return back home on Friday. I also submitted a CFPB complaint. Will update on the outcome. Was told a re-review would be complete by the 22nd.
Why would you submit a CFPB complaint and on what grounds before Chase even finished the review? If they asked for ID it sounds like a fairly routine ID verification.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
The passport part is unusual - or maybe they want 2nd form if ID. Could be simply checking it's you that's applying.
Just a second form of ID they recommended.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Why would you submit a CFPB complaint and on what grounds before Chase even finished the review? If they asked for ID it sounds like a fairly routine ID verification.
The first conversation with them did not go well at all. The CSR was having a bad day. Wouldn’t even discuss the issue or submit it for re-review. After that conversation I submitted the complaint. I then called an EO number and got a hold someone who was having a very good day and they transferred me to someone who was much more open to having it re-reviewed. They looked at my bureau that was pulled during application and could not come up with a valid reason for the close down. I did notify them of the complaint and said that would not be a bearing on the outcome. That’s where I am at the moment. Will be heading to the branch this afternoon and will update after.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:25 pm

After visiting the branch with my required id this morning I received a call this afternoon stating both cards had been reinstated.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I did notify them of the complaint and said that would not be a bearing on the outcome.
Exactly.

CPFB complaint is basically pointless. Other than getting 1 more response, most companies' decisions are firm when they make it.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Exactly.

CPFB complaint is basically pointless. Other than getting 1 more response, most companies' decisions are firm when they make it.
While I believe there is no need to file CFPB in OP's case which from the outset seems just risk assessment went wild, I dont agree with the statement "most comoanies' decisions are firm when they make it" especially in light of the closures on new accounts by Chase started a few months ago.

Have you read about the follow up by Majo79? Chase reinstated his accounts. Hence the decision to close his accounts obviously are not "firm", as many Chase closures in recent months have been overturned when the risk assessment dept made a mistake and overreached.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Happy
While I believe there is no need to file CFPB in OP's case which from the outset seems just risk assessment went wild...
Please obtain a dictionary and look for the meaning of "most". "Most" is not an equivalent to "all".

There will be outliers for sure. However, in most of the cases, when you game the system, be expected for the consequence.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Please obtain a dictionary and look for the meaning of "most". "Most" is not an equivalent to "all".

There will be outliers for sure. However, in most of the cases, when you game the system, be expected for the consequence.
Please make your reply to Majo79 being relevant instead of a generalization as your post does not address to his specific situation and does not help him at all. Post pertinent information instead of broad generalization as it does not provide much value to the poster who presented a specific scenario.
Majo79's case is NOT an outlier but quite a rampant happening since a few months ago when Chase risk assessment dept went haywire. His case is NOT even the first case posted on this thread.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Unhappy Seeking Advice for a Similar Shutdown

Happy almost December!

Recently I've had an experience with Chase shutting down both of my existing CC accounts, very similar to that of @Majo79.

I was approved for the Sapphire Reserve back in September, and then the IHG more than a month after. I always carried a relatively low balance compared to credit line and paid my balance on time, if not early. I have never done any shady spends, and I don't believe in churning card thereby hurting credit card companies.

Note that, I did, however, make a rookie mistake by applying for the Marriott card within a month of having my IHG approved--needless to say, my tertiary card application was denied on the grounds of having "too many apps with a 30-day period". (In retrospect, my applying for a tertiary Chase card within a relatively short period of time and calling the reconsideration line might have triggered the following

About a day or two after my phone convo regarding my Marriott application (probably exactly a week ago by now), I put in a travel notice for my week-long European trip, only to have been placed on a "Periodic Review" the same evening. About three days ago I found out through the online portal that for both of my existing CC accounts:

Your account is closed.

If you have a balance on this account, please continue to make your payments by the due date each month.
As of right now, I haven't recieved a phone call or anything in writing from Chase. All I see is the above message through the online portal.

This is beyond frustrating, as I believe that I've been nothing but a good customer (700+ score across the board) to Chase, and see no reason other than the risk of having too many applications within a short period (a decision I now regret, of course! )

I was happy to read that some fellow flyers here found success in having their cases reevaluated and accounts reinstated. I was wondering if you could provide insights as to whom I should reach out directly (what is the best EO number? Is it (800) 242-7399?) and what the best strategy that I should employ would be to go about having my case reviewed and escalated?

Thanks in advance!

----
TL, DR:

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name? No
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone? No
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months? 90%
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards? No
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards? No? (30% Max.)
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks? Yes (my only other credit card account is with a major US bank; 3k limit, very good history)
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.) 3 in total; first two approved (2nd card approved almost instantly)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any? JUST opened my checking AND savings accounts with Chase, in person, and with intentions to 1) take advantage of the $500 bonus and 2) to start a Private Client relations (this was all 1.5-2 weeks before account closure/rejection of 3rd card.)
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months? No
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit? No, never
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year? 15%. All was for legitimate personal use and via MileagePlusX
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any? Never
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase? No
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score? No
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by NachoHoughton
... week-long European trip......(700+ score across the board)...(my only other credit card account is with a major US bank; 3k limit)
It sounds as if your USA credit history is short, and your file is thin. Did you recently move to the USA from another country, perhaps the country you intend to visit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.