Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xu3jo6p
I once saw a post that if applying more than one Chase cards (2) in the same time, credit score would only dint once. Would like to confirm if this is true.
You've got a few things confused.

First, it's not that your credit score would dint, it's that you'd only get one "hard pull" on your credit report (at one bureau), not two. That doesn't affect your credit score at all at other bureaus, and affects your credit score negligibly even at that bureau (assuming you have any decent credit history and credit score to begin with, which you need anyway to be likely to approved for 2 cards from the same bank).

Second, it's not the bank that only does one "hard pull"; they do two. It's the credit bureau which in many (but not all) circumstances see two "hard pulls" coming from the same bank and cannot tell whether they are duplicates or not, and so to avoid putting duplicates into your report, they "err on the safe side" and only put on of those two "hard pulls" on your report. But "hard pulls" which come on different days are clearly not duplicates, and there may be other ways to tell two "hard pulls" within the same bank apart.

But, sorry, I don't know what Chase allows in terms of two same-day apps, and on whether "hard pulls" do vs don't get merged with Chase card applications. Someone else will have to answer that part.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:01 pm

Yes, they should get merged, as long as both are consumer.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by medellinfein
What does this mean if I were to apply for the Ink Plus and Freedom on the same day? Would it be a problem to apply for these 2 on the same day?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by mommafrica
What does this mean if I were to apply for the Ink Plus and Freedom on the same day? Would it be a problem to apply for these 2 on the same day?
Ink Plus is a business card, ergo not a consumer card, meaning that the hard pull for that application will not be merged with the hard pull for a Freedom card application.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Should? I want Freedom and I'm also considering CSP. I have Ink already so the possibility of 60k UR points is appealing. 20k Freedom + 40k CSP.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Ink Plus is a business card, ergo not a consumer card, meaning that the hard pull for that application will not be merged with the hard pull for a Freedom card application.
Thank You Very Much! This is definitely a lesson learned. I got it now.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:34 pm

Hello, I'm new to this.

I was watching a travel hacking seminar online and Chase Sapphire Preferred was mentioned as the card to get for newbies.

My goal is to travel to Thailand and I don't really have a preferred airline, but, if all factors are equal, I'd go with American Airlines/U.S. Airways since I already have some points with them. My home airport is CHS (Charleston, SC). My main concern is the final price of the airplane ticket (I want it to be as cheap as possible) and I plan on making this trip probably 6 months from today.

Based on my goals, should I get the Chase Sapphire Preferred card?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by clockw0rk
Hello, I'm new to this.

I was watching a travel hacking seminar online and Chase Sapphire Preferred was mentioned as the card to get for newbies.

My goal is to travel to Thailand and I don't really have a preferred airline, but, if all factors are equal, I'd go with American Airlines/U.S. Airways since I already have some points with them. My home airport is CHS (Charleston, SC). My main concern is the final price of the airplane ticket (I want it to be as cheap as possible) and I plan on making this trip probably 6 months from today.

I'm no expert but if you want to add to your US air account open the Barclays US air card before it's too late. Right now it's 50,000 US air miles with your first purchase. The annual fee is $89. Once the 2 airlines merge they will combine your miles. Very easy 50,000 to add to your account.

Read the threads about the various bonus offers that may be marketed to you for that card. One is 15,000 after a $750 spend for 3 months.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:26 pm

Hello, I'm new to this.

Chase Sapphire Preferred won't get you American Airlines miles. CSP will transfer to United, but United to Bangkok is going to be tough. (UA will get you to Hong Kong. You can fly UA's partner Thai Airways to BKK, but UA will charge you many more miles.)

If you want to fly to BKK, I'd get the AA Platinum card with 50k miles. If you meet the minimum spend, you'll have 53,000 AA miles. A r/t in coach is 70k. That plus the miles you currently have may get you there (or close).
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Pending 30 days...dog gone it!

DH just got pending on the Freedom with the dreaded 'we'll let you know by mail in 30 days'. He has several Chase cards and a long and positive history with them plus an excellent credit score. He was approved for the Chase Ink 3 months ago. The goal was to get the app in on the Freedom while the 20k bonus was active but now we are concerned we should have passed this time. I checked but could not find a reference here regarding how long the decision really takes. 30 days sounds like a long time for a simple yes or no answer. So to those of you who have received the same 30 day pending, how long did it take for you to get a decision? Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I'm no expert but if you want to add to your US air account open the Barclays US air card before it's too late. Right now it's 50,000 US air miles with your first purchase. The annual fee is $89. Once the 2 airlines merge they will combine your miles. Very easy 50,000 to add to your account.

Read the threads about the various bonus offers that may be marketed to you for that card. One is 15,000 after a $750 spend for 3 months.
^ Thanks for the information! I like how this card gives you 50K miles without having to meet a min spend requirement. I may go for this card.

Originally Posted by crimson12
Chase Sapphire Preferred won't get you American Airlines miles. CSP will transfer to United, but United to Bangkok is going to be tough. (UA will get you to Hong Kong. You can fly UA's partner Thai Airways to BKK, but UA will charge you many more miles.)

If you want to fly to BKK, I'd get the AA Platinum card with 50k miles. If you meet the minimum spend, you'll have 53,000 AA miles. A r/t in coach is 70k. That plus the miles you currently have may get you there (or close).
Thanks for the response. What does 'r/t' mean?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aglasgow
DH just got pending on the Freedom with the dreaded 'we'll let you know by mail in 30 days'. He has several Chase cards and a long and positive history with them plus an excellent credit score. He was approved for the Chase Ink 3 months ago. The goal was to get the app in on the Freedom while the 20k bonus was active but now we are concerned we should have passed this time. I checked but could not find a reference here regarding how long the decision really takes. 30 days sounds like a long time for a simple yes or no answer. So to those of you who have received the same 30 day pending, how long did it take for you to get a decision? Thanks!
First, it almost never takes 30 days.

Next, you get the offer you applied for, even if it expires before you are approved. The date of the application determines the bonus, so you are fine there, even if it does take 30 days.

Most likely you can speed things up by calling the Chase Reconsideration line. Tell them right away you are not looking for more credit, you are happy to move some of the CL from an existing Chase card to this new card. Tell them the last 4 numbers of that card, so they don't have to go poking around in your file to discover it on their own.

Since the Ink is a business card, you maybe can't move credit from that to a personal card. But I'm not sure, maybe you can. At least ask. If he has a Chase personal card, that would be even better.

First call the automated line, and find out if he has already been approved:
(800) 432-3117
If not approved yet, or if denied, call the line with a live Recon CSR:
(888) 245-0625
If he doesn't like to talk to Recon, you can have him do the identification part, then tell them he authorizes you to finish the call.

If the first CSR you get seems grumpy or difficult, say "oh, theres someone at the door, I'll have to call you back" Wait a minute or so for that person to go on to another caller, then call again and get a hopefully more friendly CSR. If you don't get anywhere with the first call, you can always think over what to say to change their minds, and call back tomorrow. Or maybe at a different time of day so you make sure you get a different CSR and supervisor. You should always call at least 3 times before you even think of giving up on an app with Chase.

Good Luck
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Hello, I'm new to this.

I travel a similar route frequently. United will cost you 80,000 miles one way in business class, 160,000 round trip (r/t). You can fly with Cathay Pacific to BKK on about 100,000 AA miles in business class. You need to get a Citi AA card, non-Executive their regular card http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...al/default.htm then get their Executive card 8 days later. You will need to spend $3,000 on the first one and $5,000 on the second one. But that is a separate conversation for another thread. That will get you 100,000 miles as soon as you can reach the minimum spend. Booking that ticket will cost you about $100 and you will be on one of the best airlines in the world. Forget Barclays. That will get you in Economy and only will save you maybe $500. AA miles are the way to go. PM me or head over to Citi AA message boards for more info.

The USAir card is worthless to you because they think merger will happen in Summer 2015 but may take longer in any case you need miles asap to get your trip booked since availability dries up quick.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Originally Posted by Brugge
First, it almost never takes 30 days...

Good Luck
Thank you for the very detailed answer to my question! I will indeed follow your advice. You're the best!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
To the people who lower CLs to get instant approvals - I am considering lowering CL on my CSP to free up credit on the $20k line. My concern is that I want this to be my "go to" card and that lowering CL will matter more than doing so for an Exec card that I don't plan to keep. Lowering the CL will result in a higher utilization for me but I usually do not put more than a few hundred $ on CSP anyhow. That said, my business cards can pick up slack if I need to make a large purchase and have it now show on my credit report. I have acquired 6 Chase cards in 2014 so I think I may have to wait a bit before next app anyhow, so maybe I wait until I plan to apply before lowering CL? Not sure why I am so hung up on keeping that high CL, but I am. Thoughts are appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.