Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:27 pm

Data point: confirmed that you can receive the bonus on the Chase Sapphire Preferred again, even if the original account was downgraded (and not closed). I didn't see this noted anywhere, so hopefully it helps. Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by mrfreemiles
Data point: confirmed that you can receive the bonus on the Chase Sapphire Preferred again, even if the original account was downgraded (and not closed). I didn't see this noted anywhere, so hopefully it helps. Thanks.
what was the timing? tia
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:14 pm

SO applied for the Freedom Card. Got a "will send you a decision soon" message from the online app. Calling recon line has gotten a "your app is pending and we'll send you a decision by mail" response multiple times. Any suggestions other than more HUAC or waiting for mail decision?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:53 am
RNE

Originally Posted by tomterrfic
SO applied for the Freedom Card. Got a "will send you a decision soon" message from the online app. Calling recon line has gotten a "your app is pending and we'll send you a decision by mail" response multiple times. Any suggestions other than more HUAC or waiting for mail decision?
No. Just wait.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:41 am

Has anyone had the experience of the automated line not giving any info? When I call in now for my partners status, it has no message after I enter the SSN and goes immediately to "press 7 to repeat this info etc".

We are angling for SW CP next year. Applied for SW personal and business premier in Nov. Called in and approved for personal. Had to submit documents for biz. Submitted a couple weeks ago and still no word from Chase. Heard that the 50k RR bonus was going away Dec 2, so applied for a biz plus on that day under sole prop (instead of biz EIN that was used for the biz premier) hoping for an auto approval. Was not approved immediately and the automated line gave the "2 weeks" message. But when I've called since then, there is no message at all.

Edit: Just received welcome email for the 2nd biz card. Still no idea what's going on with the 1st one. Ironically it seems easier to get approval as a "sole prop" with minimal income rather than an established business...

Last edited by yakk0; Dec 9, 2014 at 1:08 pm
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:57 pm

I have an excel spreadsheet with all the dates for my cards, app date, bonus date and cancel date. I keep my cards at least 8 months and I apply again at lest 24 months after I CANCEL the card.

I feel it's safer this way and there are so many cards I can easily wait 2 years.

If you are applying for the SW cards in hopes of getting CP for 2015 and 2016 my suggestion is to apply for the business card first as that one will most likely be the hardest to get and if denied you can always try get the 2nd personal card.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I keep my cards at least 8 months and I apply again at lest 24 months after I CANCEL the card.
My new policy with Chase is to keep all Chase cards open until the AF posts. And to put some spending on every card, every month, even if the spend benefits aren't all that good (I'm looking at you, Marriott). I really want Chase to think "he always uses his new cards, let's give him another one".

There are also some cards where the benefits are too good to cancel until it's time to reapply, so I do pay the AF for the second year. IHG comes to mind....
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:36 am

Has anyone had this problem?

I applied for the Marriott card, personal and business. I got "pending" when I applied online.

A few days later I called for reconsideration. The person went over finances, etc., on my personal and business cards, reduced some CL, and that was that. I got the business card in the mail a little while later.

I was traveling, so wasn't really focused on this. A while later I called, they said I was DECLINED for the personal card. It turns out the person I spoke with could only "recommend" approval, not actually approve the card, and his "recommendation" was overruled. (I wasn't told this on the recon call.) Because I was traveling I missed the 30 day window and now I'm SOL unless I apply again.

I don't too much mind applying again, I guess, but my question is about this "recommending" approval. Has anyone else been "recommended" for approval but denied -- and if so, can I call back to get the denial reconsidered?

FWIW the reason for denial was too many recent cards opened with Chase - though I think I've only opened 1-2 this year, including the most recent. (An IHG card and now the Marriott.)
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by crimson12
Has anyone had this problem?

I applied for the Marriott card, personal and business. I got "pending" when I applied online.

A few days later I called for reconsideration. The person went over finances, etc., on my personal and business cards, reduced some CL, and that was that. I got the business card in the mail a little while later.

I was traveling, so wasn't really focused on this. A while later I called, they said I was DECLINED for the personal card. It turns out the person I spoke with could only "recommend" approval, not actually approve the card, and his "recommendation" was overruled. (I wasn't told this on the recon call.) Because I was traveling I missed the 30 day window and now I'm SOL unless I apply again.

I don't too much mind applying again, I guess, but my question is about this "recommending" approval. Has anyone else been "recommended" for approval but denied -- and if so, can I call back to get the denial reconsidered?

FWIW the reason for denial was too many recent cards opened with Chase - though I think I've only opened 1-2 this year, including the most recent. (An IHG card and now the Marriott.)
One or two shouldn't be "too many". Are you sure they said too many "with Chase" and not just too many with everyone?

I do know you can't be approved by Recon with more than $60K CL with Chase, it has to go to a supervisor for approval, even if the Recon CSR recommends it. It doesn't sound like you would be over that amount though.

Then again, too many may not mean too many in actual number, but just more than Chase is willing to give you right now, based on credit rating, income, and your history with Chase.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
One or two shouldn't be "too many". Are you sure they said too many "with Chase" and not just too many with everyone?

I do know you can't be approved by Recon with more than $60K CL with Chase, it has to go to a supervisor for approval, even if the Recon CSR recommends it. It doesn't sound like you would be over that amount though.

Then again, too many may not mean too many in actual number, but just more than Chase is willing to give you right now, based on credit rating, income, and your history with Chase.
I was told by the CSR today that I had too many "with us." I probably have 4 or 5 Chase cards total -- Sapphire Preferred ('11), Hyatt & Ritz ('13), IHG (early '14) and Marriott.

I was not aware of the total $60k CL, but I might be near that total across all of my cards -- but that's what I assumed the CSR was taking care of when he said I should lower the CL on one of my other cards (which I did, or at least I thought I did).

I am confident credit score, income, and history with Chase aren't an issue. I just wasn't aware that the person I talk to on my recon call isn't actually making the ultimate decision. Is there a way to talk to the actual decisionmaker, rather than someone who merely "recommends" the decision?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told by the CSR today that I had too many "with us." I probably have 4 or 5 Chase cards total -- Sapphire Preferred ('11), Hyatt & Ritz ('13), IHG (early '14) and Marriott.

I was not aware of the total $60k CL, but I might be near that total across all of my cards -- but that's what I assumed the CSR was taking care of when he said I should lower the CL on one of my other cards (which I did, or at least I thought I did).

I am confident credit score, income, and history with Chase aren't an issue. I just wasn't aware that the person I talk to on my recon call isn't actually making the ultimate decision. Is there a way to talk to the actual decisionmaker, rather than someone who merely "recommends" the decision?
If the rep could make the decision, you would be approved right on the phone, without being "recommended to approve". Clearly the system is telling the rep that your app requires FURTHER REVIEW by higher level.

You were told "recommended for approval" by the rep you talked to, so what is that you dont understand?

I am sure in your own line of work, if you are not your own boss, surely some of your decisions are subjected to your superior's approval, no?

Yes, many people are told that, but few people reported receiving a denial after being recommended for approval. And no, nobody has reported that s/he demanded to talk to someone who can actually make decision, Right on the Spot, versus accepted the fact that the first level recon rep could make a recommendation but not actual approval on the recon call. So you would be the pioneer to do that should you decide to pursuit, and please report back the final outcome.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:29 pm

One credit inquiry for applying two credit cards

I once saw a post that if applying more than one Chase cards (2) in the same time, credit score would only dint once. Would like to confirm if this is true.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
My new policy with Chase is to keep all Chase cards open until the AF posts. And to put some spending on every card, every month, even if the spend benefits aren't all that good (I'm looking at you, Marriott). I really want Chase to think "he always uses his new cards, let's give him another one".

There are also some cards where the benefits are too good to cancel until it's time to reapply, so I do pay the AF for the second year. IHG comes to mind....
The only AF I pay is IHG. I don't MS so I have no worries about Chase not giving me a card
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:04 am

If your CL is anywhere near $60K, which you can check on the Chase webpage that shows all of your cards, (My Accounts), start sending SMs to Chase to lower some or all of the CLs. I have $10k on Sapphire, in case I run into problems while traveling outside the country, but have lowered everything else to $3K to $5K. So my 5 cards total $35K.

I did this for both Chase and Citi, and am really enjoying the instant approvals. I find I don't miss making the Recon calls at all.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:15 am

Happy, please read more carefully.

Originally Posted by Happy
If the rep could make the decision, you would be approved right on the phone, without being "recommended to approve". Clearly the system is telling the rep that your app requires FURTHER REVIEW by higher level.

You were told "recommended for approval" by the rep you talked to, so what is that you dont understand?
But upthread:

And as to:

Originally Posted by Happy
And no, nobody has reported that s/he demanded to talk to someone who can actually make decision, Right on the Spot, versus accepted the fact that the first level recon rep could make a recommendation but not actual approval on the recon call. So you would be the pioneer to do that should you decide to pursuit, and please report back the final outcome.
Although I appreciate your snark, I'm sure you are well aware that people routinely ask to talk to supervisors, and get different answers from them than they do from front line CSRs.

Thanks for talking to me like I'm an idiot, though, that was really helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.