Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:19 pm

how long does it take Chase to generate an account number (so I can ask them to expedite) after the application is approved?

already forgot from my last churn 6 months ago...
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I posted this question yesterday to no reaction. Anyone want to comment?

Originally Posted by italdesign
Would like y'all's opinion on my chances for the United Biz card.

I started playing the credit card game this year, so here's the history:

Jan 2013 - Chase United
March 2013 - Chase Hyatt
March 2013 - Chase Sw Plus
March 2013 - Citi AA
March 2013 - Barclay US Airways
March 2013 - US Bank Club Carlson - DENIED
April 2013 - Barclay Choice Priv - DENIED
July 2013 - Citi AA
Aug 2013 - Citi AA
Aug 2013 - Chase SW Premier

I've also had a Freedom card for a few years, so not brand new to Chase, but not much history either. You can see I've gotten 4 new cards from Chase this year. The last TWO weren't instantly approved because I'd reached the max credit limit Chase is willing to give me. Recon did approve them after moving credit from cards. But it looks like Chase won't give me any more new credit - which is just fine by me, but it also means no more instant approval, if approval at all.

Given this, what are my chances of getting approved for a United Biz card in the next 30 days? Note that I don't have an incorporated business, just sell stuff on ebay on the side.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
I would give yourself 6 months off from Chase apps.
Until then...Use the cards and pay on time and I'm pretty sure they would approve with another CL shuffle.
Originally Posted by italdesign
I posted this question yesterday to no reaction. Anyone want to comment?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:33 am

"we have submitted a recommendation for approval, your application is pending final verification. You should receive the welcome packet in 7-10 business days."

anyone gotten this line before?

doesn't make sense to me as approval is usually instant after recommendation and I can expedite the card right away...
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:33 am

Do we have any current data points on the length of the required waiting period (as measured from account closure to next application) to churn* a Chase card? I haven't seen much discussion of this recently, and the wiki is a hot mess right now.

(*I mean a successful, bonus-earning churn, of course. Getting the second card has never been the problem with Chase.)
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:28 pm

12/12 CSP- Instantly approved

5/13 SW RR- Instantly approved. RR Points posted 5/24!

8/6/13 United MP Explorer Business- pending, called recon line, answered questions, and approved after a 5 min call. They asked me what kind of business it is, verified my gross income, business revenue, where I work, and asked how much I expect to spend on the card each month.

8/6/13 Marriott Rewards Premier- pending decision, did not call recon line, approved today 8/8. I had no idea I was approved until I got an email from Marriott rewards saying my e-certificate has arrived. What a nice surprise!

Now it's time to chill. I have 5 chase credit cards. Bittersweet.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
twitter?

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
First statement posted already, before I hit the threshold. I'll wait for the next. I only asked because Amex says next statement but usually posts in like 2-3 days.

I'm trying to book a return for a trip next January, so I may SM them and see if they can accelerate it.
Don't think an SM will help but one never knows. When dealing with a similar issue last week with AMEX, I asked for help via twitter & my AMEX MR pts posted very quickly. Not sure how UA is via twitter.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by beltway
Do we have any current data points on the length of the required waiting period (as measured from account closure to next application) to churn* a Chase card? I haven't seen much discussion of this recently, and the wiki is a hot mess right now.

(*I mean a successful, bonus-earning churn, of course. Getting the second card has never been the problem with Chase.)
Good question. It would be nice to have some hard facts. I've just heard rumors of from 12 mo. to 24 mo.

Just remembered that I have churned the Chase Marriott card. First card was about 2009 & second one in 2011. I got the 70K pts the second time but NOT the free night. I was OK with that.

Last edited by philemer; Aug 8, 2013 at 2:14 pm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA MR UR AA
Currently have the Chase United, paid off in full. Credit Sesame scores are excellent (790s), I've been with Amex for > 10 years and some time with Chase but almost zero with Citi.

I'm aiming for the CSP with 40k UR for an upcoming huge spend. My recent history:

6/17 approved Ink Bold for the 60k bonus
6/22 denied Ink Plus?
8/8 instantly approved for Chase Hyatt
8/8 instantly approved for Amex SPG
8/8 on hold with Citi AAdvantage

What's my realistic chance in getting the CSP? I could technically wait a few months for the next AOR but would prefer to have it now if possible.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by farulg
Currently have the Chase United, paid off in full. Credit Sesame scores are excellent (790s), I've been with Amex for > 10 years and some time with Chase but almost zero with Citi.

I'm aiming for the CSP with 40k UR for an upcoming huge spend. My recent history:

6/17 approved Ink Bold for the 60k bonus
6/22 denied Ink Plus?
8/8 instantly approved for Chase Hyatt
8/8 instantly approved for Amex SPG
8/8 on hold with Citi AAdvantage

What's my realistic chance in getting the CSP? I could technically wait a few months for the next AOR but would prefer to have it now if possible.
Probably impossible to get instantly approved since the Chase Hyatt already instantly approved on 8/8. Actually i'm pretty sure it's impossible period as the computer automatically blocks you from applying two cards in the same week (auto denial). However If you call recon and have a good story then maybe.
That's why you were denied the Ink Plus on 6/22. Almost impossible to get approved for two business cards in the same week or two personal cards in the same week from Chase. YMMV with the recon calls though...
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MR UR AA
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Probably impossible to get instantly approved since the Chase Hyatt already instantly approved on 8/8. Actually i'm pretty sure it's impossible period as the computer automatically blocks you from applying two cards in the same week (auto denial). However If you call recon and have a good story then maybe.
That's why you were denied the Ink Plus on 6/22. Almost impossible to get approved for two business cards in the same week or two personal cards in the same week from Chase. YMMV with the recon calls though...
Thanks SuperKirby. The only reason I'm a bit hopeful is that my spouse got both the Plus approved instantly and the Bold approved after about a week.

I'll hold off the CSP then, no reason to push my luck since my spend will only start to come in sometime in October. Will try the recon line with Citi first.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by farulg
Thanks SuperKirby. The only reason I'm a bit hopeful is that my spouse got both the Plus approved instantly and the Bold approved after about a week.

I'll hold off the CSP then, no reason to push my luck since my spend will only start to come in sometime in October. Will try the recon line with Citi first.
NP. If you have some luck then you may be able to get it after a week, however from what i've read it's very, very hard (for instant approval). Recon may be a different story though if you want to try that. IMO, don't waste a hard pull. Wait till your next AOR. Unless you're desperate for some quick points for a trip soon, then apply next week and have a good story for recon.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Strategy for Chase Cards With High Amount of Credit Already Extended

I've been pretty conservative in my credit card churning (about 2-3 cards a year), but am getting a bit more aggressive and need some advice from those of you who have gone before.

I currently hold 3 Chase cards (Southwest, United, and Marriott) and have a pretty large combined credit limit with Chase between these three cards -- $75K. This is way, way, way more than I need.

My Southwest card's anniversary date is coming up in October, and I plan to cancel it before the annual fee is due.

But I also plan to apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred in the next few weeks. I'm guessing there is a decent chance I won't be approved for it given that Chase has extended me so much credit already.

So, does it make sense to go ahead and cancel the Southwest card before applying for the Sapphire to increase my chances of getting the Sapphire? Or do I simply wait and call the reconsideration line if I'm denied the Sapphire and see if they can move credit limits around so that I can be approved? What has a higher chance of success? I'm planning to move most of my spending to the Sapphire and hold it long-term, so I don't want to miss my chance to get this card.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:20 pm
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
Strategy for Chase Cards With High Amount of Credit Already Extended

Yes I think you should cancel the card and wait a little bit before you apply
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by LesBesTes
I've been pretty conservative in my credit card churning (about 2-3 cards a year), but am getting a bit more aggressive and need some advice from those of you who have gone before.

I currently hold 3 Chase cards (Southwest, United, and Marriott) and have a pretty large combined credit limit with Chase between these three cards -- $75K. This is way, way, way more than I need.

My Southwest card's anniversary date is coming up in October, and I plan to cancel it before the annual fee is due.

But I also plan to apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred in the next few weeks. I'm guessing there is a decent chance I won't be approved for it given that Chase has extended me so much credit already.
Do you have the Premier version of the SWA card? The one that gives 6,000 points ($100 WGA fare value) each anniversary with a $99 AF? If so, why plan to cancel it and cut the growth of your AAoA?

Why not apply for the CSP and *if* you are not instantly approved, simply call the recon. line immediately and ask them to transfer all but $5k (the min for a visa sig. card) of that card's CL over to the CSP you applied for? And, only if you are unsuccessful in convincing the rep. to do so then offer to cancel the SWA card?

I have a similar amount of CL from Chase and did this exact thing this week (4th personal, 6th card overall approved during instant <10min. recon. call by reallocating CLs between cards without closing a card)

Originally Posted by LesBesTes
So, does it make sense to go ahead and cancel the Southwest card before applying for the Sapphire to increase my chances of getting the Sapphire? Or do I simply wait and call the reconsideration line if I'm denied the Sapphire and see if they can move credit limits around so that I can be approved? What has a higher chance of success? I'm planning to move most of my spending to the Sapphire and hold it long-term, so I don't want to miss my chance to get this card.
If it were me, I'd *NOT* cancel the SWA card before applying for the CSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.