Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: Far too many
Originally Posted by SexyTurtle
I opened my 2nd, 3rd, & 4th CCs last month (Citi AA, CSP, Barclays Arrival) and put my husband as an Authorized User on them.

hubby gets cranky about having to do anything besides use the CCs and he's already had to give his info for a recon call twice
Hubby only needs to authorize chase to speak with you about the account. Then you have 24 hours to talk with them as many times as you like.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, AA, united, delta, southwest, us airways, Hilton
my recent chase experience

Yesterday I signed up for the chase ink bold sole proprietor and club Carlson (85K). I was instantly approved for club Carlson, but had to phone chase recon line. (I have 4 chase cards, 2 slates 8+ years old with $13K credit line each, sapphire from 1/13 with $11K and priority club from 3/13 with $2K line. I called and CSR wanted me to close most recent priority club card to transfer credit line to new ink bold, and move an additional $3K from sapphire to ink bold...... Sounds like a winning situation for me. Most recent card closed, longer history cards with no annual fee still intact. Any thoughts????
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nevadarain
Any thoughts????
That this should have been in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html thread.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by nevadarain
Yesterday I signed up for the chase ink bold sole proprietor and club Carlson (85K). I was instantly approved for club Carlson, but had to phone chase recon line. (I have 4 chase cards, 2 slates 8+ years old with $13K credit line each, sapphire from 1/13 with $11K and priority club from 3/13 with $2K line. I called and CSR wanted me to close most recent priority club card to transfer credit line to new ink bold, and move an additional $3K from sapphire to ink bold...... Sounds like a winning situation for me. Most recent card closed, longer history cards with no annual fee still intact. Any thoughts????
Sounds fine, but why 2 Slates? I would have reduced (or closed) one of those.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Is it just me or does this thread keep moving forums? I could have sworn it was in the Chase forum earlier.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, AA, united, delta, southwest, us airways, Hilton
Originally Posted by ctbarron
Sounds fine, but why 2 Slates? I would have reduced (or closed) one of those.
received 2 slates when my 2 other chase cards (before slates) were converted to slates. at that time just wanted to keep 2 cards both with long credit history.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Hello all, been reading quite a few pages and I realize this is going to be a pretty specific question, but I would love your guys' opinions!

I've been a new Chase customer as of 12/27/12 when I applied for the Personal/Business SW cards.

Around 4/1, I applied and was approved for the CSP and Ink Bold but I had to cancel my Business Southwest card to get it.

I was looking to pick up the pair of united explorer cards (personal & business) this AoR.

CS: 773 (Probably have close to 8 or 9 inquiries)
CK: 754 (showing 3 inquiries)

Chase Cards:
SW Personal ($5k limit)
Ink Bold ($5k flex spend)
CSP ($9k limit)

I have no problem cancelling my SW personal to get approved for the United personal... but I really don't want to have to cancel my ink. Should I wait longer until I become more of an established member of chase before attempting anymore of their business cards?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:24 pm

Looking for some help from the veterans. I applied today for the Chase Marriott card and, for the first time ever, was not approved instantly. Called the reconsideration line, tried all the tricks, no luck. They said that reducing my credit limit on other Chase cards would not help the situation because I have too many Chase cards open. I asked if I could simply close a card and then get approved. The CSR put me on hold and then said there's nothing they can do because the cards I have open are too "new" (something about them having been opened for less than 9 months; very unclear). He suggested that I close some of the Chase cards and try applying in 6 months or so. Also important to note is that at the beginning of the call, he stated that I had too many credit inquiries over the past 12 months. My credit score is 786. In addition to the Chase cards below, I have been approved for 8 other cards in the past 8 months, all of which remain open.

Here are the Chase cards I currently have, the dates on which I was approved, and the credit limits:

United Explorer Personal - Jan 2013 ($18k)
Priority Club Rewards - March 2013 ($16k)
Ink Plus Business - March 2013 ($5k)
Fairmont Visa Signature - May 2013 ($8k)
Airtran - May 2013 ($8k)

Would like to hear suggested approaches to getting approved again for Chase cards.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hazarrd
Looking for some help from the veterans. I applied today for the Chase Marriott card and, for the first time ever, was not approved instantly. Called the reconsideration line, tried all the tricks, no luck. They said that reducing my credit limit on other Chase cards would not help the situation because I have too many Chase cards open. I asked if I could simply close a card and then get approved. The CSR put me on hold and then said there's nothing they can do because the cards I have open are too "new" (something about them having been opened for less than 9 months; very unclear). He suggested that I close some of the Chase cards and try applying in 6 months or so. Also important to note is that at the beginning of the call, he stated that I had too many credit inquiries over the past 12 months. My credit score is 786. In addition to the Chase cards below, I have been approved for 8 other cards in the past 8 months, all of which remain open.

Here are the Chase cards I currently have, the dates on which I was approved, and the credit limits:

Airtran - May 2013 ($8k)

Would like to hear suggested approaches to getting approved again for Chase cards.
Man, 5 cards in less than 5 months. And you have less than a 8 month relationship with Chase. You're pushing it.

You should probably try and stick to a once every 3 month schedule like people commonly recommend.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
I faced resistance from recon for similar reasons, my story here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21056554-post1146.html

If you have a wealth management relationship that might help, and you can ask for a supervisor either way, but it's an uphill battle.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majikow
Man, 5 cards in less than 5 months. And you have less than a 8 month relationship with Chase. You're pushing it.

You should probably try and stick to a once every 3 month schedule like people commonly recommend.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

All very good suggestions, especially the last one.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:12 pm

Chase Mileage Plus Explorer Cancellation

Hi all, I am brand new to the forum, but I am looking for advice for a specific scenario.

I have a Chase Mileage Plus Explorer with a CL of $8,000. I signed up about a year ago when there was a big (55,000pt) sign-up bonus. I have used it for most purchases over the past year (about $800/month). I also just applied for and was approved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card (CL $5,000) with the 40k pt bonus. I think I would rather use the CSP as my primary card, so I don't want to pay the annual fee on the MP card. I would rather not cancel it and lose my credit history, but if I have to I will. I contacted Chase via direct message online asking what my options were. I even suggested downgrading to a no-fee card (like this one). They replied that there are no options to convert to a no-fee card available and no programs or offers to reduce the fee.

Does anyone have any advice? Probably the best thing to do would be to just cancel it. If that is the case, I have one more question.

One of the perks to the MP card is that I get two passes to the United Club every year. If I wait until my second year on the MP card starts, I presume they will send me the two United club passes. Then, before the first month is over can I cancel the card, and get the annual fee refunded while keeping the two United Club passes?

Thanks in advance,
greeney
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold

Airtran - May 2013 ($8k)

And it's kind of ironic that your handle is 'Hazarrd'.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL, UA, lotsa hotels
I'm about to apply for Chase Marriott Rewards Visa Signature (EMV-signature, 50k bonus + 1 free nite, 5x, 3x, 1x, points, waived 1st annual fee, offer linked from Marriott site). My own and my spouse's credit reports are locked. Anyone have experience with:

1) which to unlock (looks like Experian is most often pulled first by Chase), or all? Costs $10 apiece to unlock.

2) Spouse won't be on the app for another card, should I unlock her reports as well? Costs a little more again.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DrJohn999
I'm about to apply for Chase Marriott Rewards Visa Signature (EMV-signature, 50k bonus + 1 free nite, 5x, 3x, 1x, points, waived 1st annual fee, offer linked from Marriott site). My own and my spouse's credit reports are locked. Anyone have experience with:

1) which to unlock (looks like Experian is most often pulled first by Chase), or all? Costs $10 apiece to unlock.

2) Spouse won't be on the app for another card, should I unlock her reports as well? Costs a little more again.
You can unlock or get a one time PIN if you want to keep it locked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.