Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
Why not get the 70k Marriott linked here?
Originally Posted by DrJohn999
I'm about to apply for Chase Marriott Rewards Visa Signature (EMV-signature, 50k bonus + 1 free nite, 5x, 3x, 1x, points, waived 1st annual fee, offer linked from Marriott site). My own and my spouse's credit reports are locked. Anyone have experience with:

1) which to unlock (looks like Experian is most often pulled first by Chase), or all? Costs $10 apiece to unlock.

2) Spouse won't be on the app for another card, should I unlock her reports as well? Costs a little more again.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Welcome to FT.
If your credit history is kind of young I'd pay the fee & keep the card. It takes quite a few years to build a solid credit history.

Originally Posted by greeney
Hi all, I am brand new to the forum, but I am looking for advice for a specific scenario.

I have a Chase Mileage Plus Explorer with a CL of $8,000. I signed up about a year ago when there was a big (55,000pt) sign-up bonus. I have used it for most purchases over the past year (about $800/month). I also just applied for and was approved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card (CL $5,000) with the 40k pt bonus. I think I would rather use the CSP as my primary card, so I don't want to pay the annual fee on the MP card. I would rather not cancel it and lose my credit history, but if I have to I will. I contacted Chase via direct message online asking what my options were. I even suggested downgrading to a no-fee card (like this one). They replied that there are no options to convert to a no-fee card available and no programs or offers to reduce the fee.

Does anyone have any advice? Probably the best thing to do would be to just cancel it. If that is the case, I have one more question.

One of the perks to the MP card is that I get two passes to the United Club every year. If I wait until my second year on the MP card starts, I presume they will send me the two United club passes. Then, before the first month is over can I cancel the card, and get the annual fee refunded while keeping the two United Club passes?

Thanks in advance,
greeney
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Hazarrd
Also important to note is that at the beginning of the call, he stated that I had too many credit inquiries over the past 12 months. My credit score is 786. In addition to the Chase cards below, I have been approved for 8 other cards in the past 8 months, all of which remain open.
Chase did the same thing to me about 2 years ago, I wanted an Amtrak card and they said I had too many apps total ,not just with Chase.

In 7 years of churning ( and my entire life before that) this was the only card that ever turned me down.

I was so mad I immediately applied and was approved for 2 different non Chase cards

My advice is to move on and come back to Chase in 6 months or so.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL, UA, lotsa hotels
Originally Posted by vodkashine
Why not get the 70k Marriott linked here?
Tried that but it didn't work at first: the link from my Marriott account had some additional /numbers/... on it. But when I used the link that just ends with the 50... and changed that to 70.. it worked. Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
You can unlock or get a one time PIN if you want to keep it locked.
(Updated 2013-08-02 8:42 AM PDT) Oh, now I see the Experian page. Guess I shouldn't have tried to find it after my long yesterday... Will give it a try soon.

I don't see a way to generate a "one-time PIN" for unlocking. Of course, I have the PINs assigned when I locked it down, one for each bureau. I have unlocked them before, which was a PITA, and a one-time PIN would be nice.

Say I have this one-time PIN, there's no place in an on-line app to put it. Send on a faxed app?

Last edited by DrJohn999; Aug 2, 2013 at 9:44 am Reason: Update
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:52 pm

Say I have this one-time PIN, there's no place in an on-line app to put it. Send on a faxed app?
Answering my own question. From @ChaseSupport via Twitter:
We select the credit bureau we pull from at random, so it may not be Experian we use. However, you will need to first apply for the card, then you will need to contact our Lending Dept to determine who we pulled from. If it was Experian, you can give them the PIN. If not, you'll need to unlock that bureau & call our Lending Dept back. Their number is 888-609-7805.
Response came within 10 mins of posting. The number given is the "Alternative Personal Reconsideration line with live rep" number shown at the top of this thread. I'll post later on how it goes with them.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: United, southwest, ihg, club Carlson, hyatt
I want to add an Ink, but just got rejected 90 days ago due to accounts being too new, and business being too new. I wonder if applying for an Ink Cash/Classic vs an Ink Bold for a first card with them would make a difference as one is obviously targeted more towards start ups or even smaller businesses. Guess I'll find out in 90 more days when I apply for Freedom and Ink Classic.
have you tried an ink plus? i applied for the ink bold and was told to wait 2 weeks, called recon same day and after going through standard questions they said the charge card is their premier business card and my business didn't have high enough revenues.

rep told me to try applying for one of the other cards. i applied for the plus the same day and did another recon call. they approved me after asking the standard questions again.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yaounit
have you tried an ink plus? i applied for the ink bold and was told to wait 2 weeks, called recon same day and after going through standard questions they said the charge card is their premier business card and my business didn't have high enough revenues.

rep told me to try applying for one of the other cards. i applied for the plus the same day and did another recon call. they approved me after asking the standard questions again.
Hmm, maybe I'll do that then. She did express concern over it being a Charge card, but I told her I like that because it makes me pay it off, so I'm more careful about what I charge.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Answering my own question. From @ChaseSupport via Twitter:
We select the credit bureau we pull from at random, so it may not be Experian we use. However, you will need to first apply for the card, then you will need to contact our Lending Dept to determine who we pulled from. If it was Experian, you can give them the PIN. If not, you'll need to unlock that bureau & call our Lending Dept back. Their number is 888-609-7805.
Response came within 10 mins of posting. The number given is the "Alternative Personal Reconsideration line with live rep" number shown at the top of this thread. I'll post later on how it goes with them.
BULL. I've applied for a TON of Chase cards & they always pull Experian. It's a geographical thing. See creditcards.com
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by philemer
BULL. I've applied for a TON of Chase cards & they always pull Experian. It's a geographical thing. See creditcards.com
Same, I laughed when I read that tweet. Chase has never pulled anything but Experian for me. Actually, everyone except Barclays pulls Experian for me, to the point I froze it just to keep anything off of there I can.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:05 pm

Yeah, Chase has always pulled TU for me when I apply in OK, but pulls EX when I applied in NV and NY.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Yeah, Chase has always pulled TU for me when I apply in OK, but pulls EX when I applied in NV and NY.
So what you're saying is we should do AORs on a long layover to get different bureaus to be pulled? =P
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:45 am

Agreed, and I have the Experian PIN ready for them. Its a control thing: they have to tell you which each time.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:54 am

Cool first chase denial

Originally Posted by bribro
I also faced a lot of resistance with my Ink Plus application for having too many recent cards. My first JPMC credit cards were Freedom Visa, CSP Visa, and Palladium Visa, all opened right around March 2012 when I first opened my JPM Private Bank accounts. I added the Ink Bold in November 2012 then United MP Explorer around March 2013. Last month I downgraded my CSP Visa to a Freedom MC, waited a few days, then got instant approval on a CSP MC (hoping to get another sign-up bonus). I also applied for an Ink Plus later that same day and got the 2 weeks message.

I called into recon the next day and the CSR asked me several questions including why I had opened "6 credit cards within the last year;" I said it was actually 3 cards within the last year and 3 before that (she would repeat this 6 cards within 1 year line several times even after I corrected her), and explained how each one played a different role and that I was moving all my credit card spending to JPMC after opening my PB accounts. She put me on hold for a few minutes and came back saying I was unfortunately declined for having "too many recent credit cards." I asked her to take away some credit from the other cards since I had $200k in total credit (not including my Ink Bold charge card), but she said it was the number of recent cards, not total credit exposure or anything else. I asked if there was a certain number of cards that is too much, but she dodged the question. I tried a few other things but she wouldn't budge, so I asked to speak to a senior analyst. She told me it wouldn't make a difference but transferred me anyway.

The 1st CSR summarized my situation with the 2nd CSR on the line with me, once again repeating her erroneous "6 cards within the past year" line. At this point, after nearly 30 minutes on the phone, I'm pretty pissed; I said this is the fifth time correcting her that it's 3 cards within the past year, and another 3 from several months before that. I've opened these cards for legitimate reasons, use them heavily and PIF, have X amount in JPM PB investment accounts and Y amount in my JPM PB checking and savings accounts, and if they didn't approve me for this measly business credit card I'd be happy to take my business elsewhere. I was then instantly approved by the 2nd CSR for $25k, who also apologized for the inconvenience and expedited shipment. It's stupid that it came down to that, but happy to have the Ink Plus with a 60k bonus.
I had a pretty similar experience, denied for too many new cards. I called back and the 2nd lady started out "I see you just called". Anyway it was my 10th card this year (5th chase), so eventually I decided to lay low with Chase for now (don't want to get blacklisted). The odd thing is, about 2 weeks ago I noticed Chase upped my CSP CL from $8K to $18K without any sort of notification (or me asking). I pointed this out to her, she said it isn't the total credit available but all the new accounts. Oh well. I have $12K of spending on Citi AA cards I need to worry about
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:15 am

So what you're saying is we should do AORs on a long layover to get different bureaus to be pulled? =P
lol. I was just telling my experience with pulls within the last 5 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.