Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by UpUpAway89
The problem is my Capital One is 10k limit and I never use it because not as good as Ultimate Rewards and they won't decrease.
You do realize that a nice, high credit line helps your score? It gets added to the denominator of your total credit available, the numerator being the amount outstanding when the card companies report to the bureau (usually statement dates). This percentage is your utilization %, and its calc'd on a per card and an overall basis. Generally speaking, the lower the % the higher your credit score.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by UpUpAway89

I also wanted a Freedom, but I guess the consensus would be to wait until next year?
not even worth the inquiry hit. just threaten to close down an account and they''ll transfer u to a retention manager who will probably give u the same bonus offer.
Old May 3, 2013, 4:44 pm

Anyone know if Chase biz recon is open on weekends? I'm pretty sure personal is, but wasn't positive about biz.
Old May 3, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Anyone know if Chase biz recon is open on weekends? I'm pretty sure personal is, but wasn't positive about biz.
Sat/Sun no, they're open right now though. I just got off the phone with them (declined, though).
Old May 4, 2013, 5:25 pm

hi all -

my last chase run was in feb , i got the freedome and Ink ---considering marriot and PC cards for an immediate need. i have a total of 4 chase cards...can i apply to both at the same time? am i goign to have any issues my score is 770-780.

thanks. !
Old May 5, 2013, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by jordandawg05
hi all -

my last chase run was in feb , i got the freedome and Ink ---considering marriot and PC cards for an immediate need. i have a total of 4 chase cards...can i apply to both at the same time? am i goign to have any issues my score is 770-780.

thanks. !
it may depend on your total credit limit from Chase across those 4 CCs. u can always ask them to reallocate it across the 5 cards.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
it may depend on your total credit limit from Chase across those 4 CCs. u can always ask them to reallocate it across the 5 cards.
just got the phone with recon line - had to close one card to reallocate for the marriot card and then split my freedome to get the PC card...too many cards in the last 6 months with them was thier spill...i'll lay low for the remaining of the year with chase...i already have 2 flights free and more than half of my next vacation on points...woot !! i'll let my credit score recover too so until next year i am good. well trying to get my wife establish her credit so i may be playing with her apps
Old May 9, 2013, 1:49 pm

Applying for Chase Freedom and Sapphirre Preferred on the Same Day?

Hi,

I'm thinking of applying for the Chase Sapphire Preffered and Chase Freedom cards on the same day in order to start earning Ultimate Rewards Points. Has anyone done this and had success with it? Also, what kind of impact would this have on my credit report?

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2013, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by ColoradoGirl1213
Hi,

I'm thinking of applying for the Chase Sapphire Preffered and Chase Freedom cards on the same day in order to start earning Ultimate Rewards Points. Has anyone done this and had success with it? Also, what kind of impact would this have on my credit report?

Thanks!
Chase will allow 2 apps in one day but they MAY reject the 2nd app. Then you call the Chase reconsideration phone line & tell them why you want both (maybe certain spend on one card & something else on the other). Search this thread for "reconsideration". Good luck. Your credit score tends to drop 4-8 pts per app. and will come back up after a couple months. Applying for 2 cards at the same time MAY only produce one hard pull. This varies but I'd sure try it.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:29 pm

RetiredRadWarrior -> that was really funny!

Hello,
I was reading your proctology exam questions and it really made me laugh my guts out!!!

Did he really talk that way?

Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior
Just once. The grumpy CSR made me grumpy.

Probably good advice. Next time I'll have my thumb poised on the red key.

Decades of great credit history, zero black marks. I doubt there has been any time in the last 20 years that any of my credit scores dropped below 780. Had Chase Marriott Premier for years, cancelled last Sept (very little usage since retirement), Chase Sapphire Preferred for about a year at time of declined app (met min spend, then little usage), approved for new UA 9/6/11 (very little usage).

Now that I've written all that down, I look like someone signing up only because of bonuses. Ahah! Perhaps the mystery is solved!

[edit]

To present a complete picture I thought it might be useful to include the transcript of my reconsideration phone call. I don't have the actual transcript, but I think this is a fair representation . . .

Me: Good morning. A splendid day, is it not? Hope you are well. I was wondering if . . .

CSR Cratchit: Declined!

Me: But but . . .

CSR Cratchit: What, you got a banana in your ear? I said DECLINED!!

Me: But but I don’t understand why my application . . .

CSR Cratchit: Too many inquiries!

Me: But but I’ve only applied for two Chase cards in the last 14 months.

CSR Cratchit: Listen, Toadstool, I said TOO MANY INQUIRIES!! Everywhere, not just Chase. Eight inquiries in the last four months.

Me: I believe it’s only seven, but . . .

CSR Cratchit: You made an inquiry to the produce manager at WalMart as to whether the rutabagas were from Mexico. That’s eight.

Me: But but I believe my Experian is 787 . . .

CSR Cratchit: It’s 784 after I dinged you for a credit pull. Bend over and I’ll do another dozen pulls and spank you into Credit Hell, you degenerate jerk.

Me: But but my credit utilization is under 5%.

CSR Cratchit: Your credit utilization is 6%!!!! You are a fraud and a despicable human being. And you smell like the inside of a Russian horse doctor’s valise.

Me: You can smell . . .

CSR Cratchit: Thank you for calling Chase. Is there anything else I might do you for today? Sharp stick in the eye? Proctology exam administered by Genghis Khan?

Me: No, thank you for your time and consideration.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:33 pm

RetiredRadWarrior -> that was really funny!

Hello,
I was reading your proctology exam questions and it really made me laugh my guts out!!!
Thanks again for the info!

Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior
Just once. The grumpy CSR made me grumpy.

Probably good advice. Next time I'll have my thumb poised on the red key.

Decades of great credit history, zero black marks. I doubt there has been any time in the last 20 years that any of my credit scores dropped below 780. Had Chase Marriott Premier for years, cancelled last Sept (very little usage since retirement), Chase Sapphire Preferred for about a year at time of declined app (met min spend, then little usage), approved for new UA 9/6/11 (very little usage).

Now that I've written all that down, I look like someone signing up only because of bonuses. Ahah! Perhaps the mystery is solved!

[edit]

To present a complete picture I thought it might be useful to include the transcript of my reconsideration phone call. I don't have the actual transcript, but I think this is a fair representation . . .

Me: Good morning. A splendid day, is it not? Hope you are well. I was wondering if . . .

CSR Cratchit: Declined!

Me: But but . . .

CSR Cratchit: What, you got a banana in your ear? I said DECLINED!!

Me: But but I don’t understand why my application . . .

CSR Cratchit: Too many inquiries!

Me: But but I’ve only applied for two Chase cards in the last 14 months.

CSR Cratchit: Listen, Toadstool, I said TOO MANY INQUIRIES!! Everywhere, not just Chase. Eight inquiries in the last four months.

Me: I believe it’s only seven, but . . .

CSR Cratchit: You made an inquiry to the produce manager at WalMart as to whether the rutabagas were from Mexico. That’s eight.

Me: But but I believe my Experian is 787 . . .

CSR Cratchit: It’s 784 after I dinged you for a credit pull. Bend over and I’ll do another dozen pulls and spank you into Credit Hell, you degenerate jerk.

Me: But but my credit utilization is under 5%.

CSR Cratchit: Your credit utilization is 6%!!!! You are a fraud and a despicable human being. And you smell like the inside of a Russian horse doctor’s valise.

Me: You can smell . . .

CSR Cratchit: Thank you for calling Chase. Is there anything else I might do you for today? Sharp stick in the eye? Proctology exam administered by Genghis Khan?

Me: No, thank you for your time and consideration.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:47 pm

Are 2x EX pulls typical for an Ink Bold application? I applied, and the same day Chase pulled EX and TU. I didn't get immediate approval, so I called the recon line next day. Then, there was another pull on the EX for the recon. I called the number on the back of Ink Bold about this. The CSR said that they'll get back to me with a letter 7 - 10 business days, which I haven't seen it yet. I'm thinking to call the executive office if it's worth a while.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 14, 2013, 11:51 am

Applied for and approved for the Club card this morning. I was a little worried about the application since I already have 5 Chase cards, most recent one was only 6 weeks ago, and most of my approvals were lower limits (5k on CSP, 2k on most recent MPE, and a Freedom and Amazon at 2.3k and 1.5k).

But was approved with no recon and given 20k.

Credit history is around 14 years, AAoA around 6.5 years, 739 EQ according to myFico, and 6% reporting utilization.
Old May 14, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: US Gold & AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jpark1982
Applied for and approved for the Club card this morning. I was a little worried about the application since I already have 5 Chase cards, most recent one was only 6 weeks ago, and most of my approvals were lower limits (5k on CSP, 2k on most recent MPE, and a Freedom and Amazon at 2.3k and 1.5k).

But was approved with no recon and given 20k.

Credit history is around 14 years, AAoA around 6.5 years, 739 EQ according to myFico, and 6% reporting utilization.
In your case, I think that you were helped by the fact that you have small credit limits on your existing cards. I think Chase really focuses on the amount of Chase credit you already have with them.

I was recently approved for the Club card too but needed recon and was raked over the coals a bit because I already had 4 Chase cards and they each had $20k limits. They wouldn't even let me transfer credit. I had to completely close my SW Biz card to get the deal to fly. My fico is 756 (been a bit beat up this year by many new cards) and 5% utilization.
Old May 15, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
hey guys - I've tried searching and reading through this thread but couldn't find a confirmed answer.

Has anyone successfully churned the Chase Hyatt Card?

A data point I want to contribute - I had a BA card (got 100k sign up) that I cancelled in May 2012. I didn't read enough and applied for the BA card last month for the 100k (50k+25k+25k) offer. After 2k in spending I read a bunch of threads and realized I made a mistake - didn't expect to get the 50k again. Lo and behold it shows up on my account at statement closing! Very pleasantly surprised. I don't know how/why it happened but happy to provide additional info for any questions

Cheers,

Last edited by Duffman; May 15, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.