FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1191535-applying-chase-credit-cards-archived-2008-5-2015-a.html)

I can see for miles Dec 15, 2008 7:09 pm

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Based on a couple other threads it seems you can churn Chase credit cards if you wait until record of your previous card approval drops off "their records." Does anyone know how long one must wait, based on experience or information? I'd love to apply for the Chase Marriott Rewards and United Visa cards again.

TravelerMSY Dec 15, 2008 11:22 pm

I've had more than one UA card with Chase but my experience won't help much as the two cards were 10+ years apart.

dr84 Dec 17, 2008 1:02 pm

Its hard to know when that happens. Is it a certain amount of months from when you last applied, or is it frim when you closed the last card...I personally dont think it has anything to do with either.

philemer Feb 2, 2010 3:37 pm

Chase's "one card every six months" policy

I applied for the Chase Southwest Airlines Business card last week to get the 16 RR credits & a free flight. Yesterday I received the rejection letter that said I was rejected because of: too many requests or opened accounts with us.

A little background:
*I have a Chase (no fee) UA card that I've had for at least three years
*I applied for, and received, the Chase British Airways (BA) card in November
*I have not applied for any other Chase cards in the past 12 months

Being an optimistic person I decided to call the # on the rejection letter and plead my case. The lady I talked to said the only reason I was rejected was because I had applied for & received a Chase card (BA card) within the last six months. She said a credit report was NOT pulled. I told her I really needed the card for my business spending (true), that my credit was very good (true) and that I had been a loyal Chase customer for many years (true).

She then preceded to question me about my business income. She wanted gross & net figures from my 2008 & 2009 tax returns. I gave her the actual figures. She then asked what my other income was because the figures I gave her didn't add up to what I put on the application. I proceeded to give the other sources of income I have that are not taxable. She also asked me how long I had been self employed. Finally, she said: I will approve your application with a $5K CL and you should receive your card in 7-10 days.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, of course. Hey, I'm a fighter, what can I say. Having an arbitrary "one card per six months" rule seems crazy to me. But, it's their business to run as they see fit.

I'm not 100% positive if this policy is really a "policy" or something she concocted but I've read similar stories on the LONG Chase BA thread so I'm guessing it's probably true.

Of course, YMMV. :)

MORAL? Don't give up just because you were declined.

RameshK Feb 6, 2010 12:05 pm

Good data point!

I too had been rejected for a Continental Chase CC. The reason given was too many open CCs. When I called and got past the doorkeeper and his boss, and talked to the underwriter, I was able to convince her that some of the cards were frivolous and I had been talked into signing up for them in my weak moments - Macy's for a paltry 15% off on the day's purchases and a credit union CC for a promotion. With my good credit rating and no debts, she let me have the CO (35K bonus miles) card with a 5K credit limit. So, yes, if you have valid explanations to plead your case, they do listen and give you another card. But, you must have a strong case as Chase does try to find any of a million excuses to reject your application.

financeprof Feb 6, 2010 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by RameshK (Post 13338604)
Good data point!

I too had been rejected for a Continental Chase CC. The reason given was too many open CCs. When I called and got past the doorkeeper and his boss, and talked to the underwriter, I was able to convince her that some of the cards were frivolous and I had been talked into signing up for them in my weak moments - Macy's for a paltry 15% off on the day's purchases and a credit union CC for a promotion. With my good credit rating and no debts, she let me have the CO (35K bonus miles) card with a 5K credit limit. So, yes, if you have valid explanations to plead your case, they do listen and give you another card. But, you must have a strong case as Chase does try to find any of a million excuses to reject your application.

Is this your first CO Chsae CC?

beltway Feb 7, 2010 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 13311362)
Having an arbitrary "one card per six months" rule seems crazy to me. But, it's their business to run as they see fit.

I'm not 100% positive if this policy is really a "policy" or something she concocted but I've read similar stories on the LONG Chase BA thread so I'm guessing it's probably true.

According to Frugal Travel Guy yesterday,

I asked about the reported "only one application in six months policy" Remember we all got the Chase BA card within the last two or three months. He assured me that that indeed is an exaggeration, and they do not hold to that policy, but instead recommend that you not apply for more than one card in a 30 day period.

RameshK Feb 7, 2010 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by financeprof (Post 13338783)
Is this your first CO Chsae CC?

I had one in 2007 - forget if it was from Chase - but I canceled it in 2008. So this is my second CO card. And no, I did not apply for the BA 100K that most folks seem to have done recently.

financeprof Feb 7, 2010 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by RameshK (Post 13345062)
I had one in 2007 - forget if it was from Chase - but I canceled it in 2008. So this is my second CO card. And no, I did not apply for the BA 100K that most folks seem to have done recently.

If you had a CHASE CO CC, that would be a good news for me... :)

Mountain Trader Feb 8, 2010 6:17 am

Anyone have thoughts on whether the Chase CO debit card would fall under the "1 Every 6 months" rule?

easygoing77 Feb 8, 2010 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader (Post 13347845)
Anyone have thoughts on whether the Chase CO debit card would fall under the "1 Every 6 months" rule?

No Debit cards are not considered when they review new credit card apps.
Debit cards are issued by totally different department.

ingy Feb 16, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm getting more than one in six months

I got the BA card in November and applied for the United Club card in early February.

I got the phone call last night from Chase to reduce some credit lines and maybe close an account to get the new United card approved.

All indications in the conversation were that I will be getting my second card since November 2009 :cool:

philemer Feb 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by ingy (Post 13402545)
I got the BA card in November and applied for the United Club card in early February.

I got the phone call last night from Chase to reduce some credit lines and maybe close an account to get the new United card approved.

All indications in the conversation were that I will be getting my second card since November 2009 :cool:

Good to hear. Each CSR has a separate "line" don't they. :) Of course, every customer's situation is a little diff. too.

highgear Feb 16, 2010 9:40 pm

I've got a somewhat related question about this Chase policy.

I applied for the BA Chase card back in early December and was denied due to having applied for another Chase card within 6 months and also due to a high balance showing on my credit report. This high balance was due to a credit card funding w/ Citi and has now been paid off and isn't showing on my credit report. Also, it has now been more than 6 months since that last card was applied for.

What I'm wondering is if I should re-apply for the BA Visa card or call and see if they will reconsider my old application? I'm not sure how long you have for a reconsideration and I don't mind if they want to do another hard pull to see that the balance has been paid off.

So what do you all think would be the best course of action here?

TIA :D

dracs Feb 17, 2010 5:46 pm

just adding my experience

I called for my application for BA chase visa today which I applied on feb 14th . I was told it has been rejected for too many inquiries in last 6 months. I had a gut feeling that I will get rejected. I had applied 2AA, 1 delta, 1 charles schwab all in october and were approved and one more CHASE freedom in december so basically 5 in last six months. I was asked , why particularly interested in this card, and why I have too many inquiries. I tried to explain that I got those offers in mail and just couldn't resist .I offered them to close my other account and That I have always paid in time. But still they said since I had so many inquiries so they cannot give me this product this time. Denied Tough Luck!!