Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by LesBesTes
I've been pretty conservative in my credit card churning (about 2-3 cards a year), but am getting a bit more aggressive and need some advice from those of you who have gone before.

I currently hold 3 Chase cards (Southwest, United, and Marriott) and have a pretty large combined credit limit with Chase between these three cards -- $75K. This is way, way, way more than I need.

My Southwest card's anniversary date is coming up in October, and I plan to cancel it before the annual fee is due.

But I also plan to apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred in the next few weeks. I'm guessing there is a decent chance I won't be approved for it given that Chase has extended me so much credit already.

So, does it make sense to go ahead and cancel the Southwest card before applying for the Sapphire to increase my chances of getting the Sapphire? Or do I simply wait and call the reconsideration line if I'm denied the Sapphire and see if they can move credit limits around so that I can be approved? What has a higher chance of success? I'm planning to move most of my spending to the Sapphire and hold it long-term, so I don't want to miss my chance to get this card.

Move the credit limit from the Southwest card to one of your existing cards, then close the Southwest card. Then when it comes time for the Sapphire, move credit from an existing card if necessary.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Do you have the Premier version of the SWA card? The one that gives 6,000 points ($100 WGA fare value) each anniversary with a $99 AF? If so, why plan to cancel it and cut the growth of your AAoA?
No, I just have the Plus card, which is $69 and only 3000 bonus points. Not worth the annual fee to me. Card is only 9 months old - does that really help AAoA when I have credit history and other cards open going back a decade?

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Why not apply for the CSP and *if* you are not instantly approved, simply call the recon. line immediately and ask them to transfer all but $5k (the min for a visa sig. card) of that card's CL over to the CSP you applied for? And, only if you are unsuccessful in convincing the rep. to do so then offer to cancel the SWA card?
Seems like a decent gamble and compromise solution.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
I recommend you apply for the CSP first. If you don't get approved, you can offer to sacrifice your Southwest card in exchange for getting the CSP, or better yet, just transfer a portion of your CL.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:29 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
I vote with FindAway and bribro on not canceling the card until you see what they do on the CSP application. $75k in limits across 3 Chase cards is solid but not "high" per se. They may be willing to extend much more to you, but may label you a churner if you start canceling then reapplying for bonus-driven cards. That's not a label anyone wants with Chase, considering their sweet-tooth enabling card offerings.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: AA BAEC FL WN US SPG Marriott Hyatt UR
Don't cancel anything. Apply for the new card first. If you get denied, then call recon. line and offer to reallocate credit limits. If get denied, hang up and call back. Another CSR may be more lenient. (I actually sent a secure message after a recon. denial, received a call back, and ultimately got approved ) If still get denied, offer to cancel a cc. (I personally wouldn't cancel a Chase cc until six months from the date its sign-up bonus posted. I've heard of cases where Chase will claw it back if cc closed too soon).
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Before applying for the fourth card with Chase my situation was similar to yours. I already had 3 cards with a very large credit limit from the first card. When I got the second card I had to move CLs around. The (no-fee) third card came with only $500 CL. Again I moved CLs around.

Recently I sent in the application for the fourth card, a Visa Signature, even as I was wondering whether Chase would extend more credit to me. To my surprise I received instant approval with $5,000 CL.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:31 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I went to the teeth doctor today to consult about Invisalign, the clear teeth-alignment braces usually used for adults. The doctor came up with an estimated bill of $4500, and the first thing that came to my mind was "I need to do this after applying for my second Ink."
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by agp423
I went to the teeth doctor today to consult about Invisalign, the clear teeth-alignment braces usually used for adults. The doctor came up with an estimated bill of $4500, and the first thing that came to my mind was "I need to do this after applying for my second Ink."
It's pretty sad (but really awesome) that we all have a mindset like this...
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:21 pm

Swap new Chase Ink Biz for existing SW/BA Visas

I'm looking to get a Chase Ink Visa business card for my new S-Corp....seems like a great card with solid benefits, plus the 50k free miles.

The issue is that I currently have both a Southwest Visa and a British Airways Visa through Chase. I applied for a third Chase Visa a few months ago and was denied, basically because I already have two Chase cards.

I no longer need the SW or BA Visa - I'd be happy to "trade" them for a single Chase Ink Visa. Is there a good way to go about attempting that move? Call Chase, etc? Cancel the other two cards, wait, then apply for the Ink card? Any and all help is appreciated.....
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:33 pm

Applied for the Ink Plus two days ago, no instant approval. Called automated app status line and it said pending and they'll let me know by mail in approximately 2 weeks. Should I call to talk with a live person, or just wait. No rush to get card, but I do want it!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by biostatistician
Applied for the Ink Plus two days ago, no instant approval. Called automated app status line and it said pending and they'll let me know by mail in approximately 2 weeks. Should I call to talk with a live person, or just wait. No rush to get card, but I do want it!
Definitely talk to a Live person. It's pretty much worthless talking to a dead person. Joke aside, these days, how can anyone wait 2 weeks for a result?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I have a Chase Ink, Business, SW Business, SW personal, United, BA, Sapphire, and a few others,

Why not open a Business Checking Account with Chase,

I don't think 2 cards is a reason for a decline, show Chase some Love.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
Definitely call. Chase recon is a breeze. Just expect to answer some general questions about you and your business and you'll be approved.

Originally Posted by biostatistician
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
It's pretty much worthless talking to a dead person.
The only dead people I talk to are at Citi, I don't think they have a heartbeat

Originally Posted by vodkashine
Definitely call. Chase recon is a breeze. Just expect to answer some general questions about you and your business and you'll be approved.
Thanks, guys, will do. Legit biz, so no worries, just that I've never had biz credit before.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by agp423

I had the same thought when my wife and I decided that it was time to buy "big girl beds" for our toddlers. I'm pretty sure I can make minimum spend on a card from this purchase

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.