Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer
Issue: too many Chase cards; as usual offered to move credit limit around or even close unused card;
(none of my Chase cards are older than 9 mos.)
How many Chase applications in those 9 months?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
Thanks for responses.
Called today with intent to cancel UnitedMPExpl card.
Was told BA card approved, to my surprise.
Rep suggested calling Consolidation Dept 888-298-5623
on Tues if I still (yes I do) wanted to close UMPE cc
approved back in 12/2012, to move its credit limit
to another existing card.

How many Chase cc's in 9 months?
Guessing 5 or less.
Am guessing it was more about
having been approved for Marrriott
70K MRP bonus $1K spend card
only 24 hrs earlier, & about Chase's
total unsecured credit exposure,
( = ~$75K+?), much more than enough...
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:21 pm

I'm a bit confused about the downgrade options for the Ink Bold/Plus. Some posts on the blogs say you can downgrade either, but other posts say the Bold can not be downgraded as it is a charge card and all the no-fee options are credit cards.

Can anyone provide some clarity on this? Has anyone here actually tried to downgrade an Ink Bold, and what happened?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 4:33 pm

Recommendations?

Hubby and I would like to do an apporama... if that is still possible these days. We want to do some international travel in the upcoming year and would love to get some miles. We're very new to this game.

We'd like to each get:
Chase Airtran 16 credit
Amex Delta 30k
Citi AA 50k

Then I was hoping to apply for the British Airways Chase Visa again around November, as that will be 19 months since I last got one. Do you all think I have a chance of getting the miles again (like my husband did in January), or has that ship sailed? Also, would applying for the Chase Airtran significantly hurt my chances (if I do have a shot)? What about the other apps, does Chase care if I get those Citi and Amex cards?

Husband's recent applications/approvals
6/2011 British Airways Chase Visa 50k (closed at one year anniversary)
1/2013 British Airways Chase Visa 50k (still open)
8/2013 Citi Gold / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card 25k (open)

My recent applications/approvals
4/2012 British Airways Chase Visa (closed at 1 year anniversary)
8/2013 CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® World card (Mastercard) (open)
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:56 pm

Just got denied for an Ink for a modest part-time sole proprietorship, despite having pristine personal credit history (but no previous business credit). Will wait a year I guess while building a relationship with Chase using my CSP.

Anyone know of a way to start building business credit? If only I could add a business as an AU to a personal card :P
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by aradisc
Just got denied for an Ink for a modest part-time sole proprietorship, despite having pristine personal credit history (but no previous business credit). Will wait a year I guess while building a relationship with Chase using my CSP.

Anyone know of a way to start building business credit? If only I could add a business as an AU to a personal card :P
Amex seems friendly to give business cards easily. Last year, when I applied for Amex Gold and SimplyCash back business card, and was approved for both cards same day. My business was 6 months old, and my personal credit history was 8 months old only. They basically gave me consideration based on my Personal Gold charge usage.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by pickles1107
I would like to apply for the following cards:

CSP
Hyatt
IHG

I have the following cards within the past year:

Fairmont 7/12
SPG 8/12
Alaska 9/12
SW Premier personal 2/13
SW Plus business 2/13
USAir 2/13

Also, had a home mortgage opened with Chase in 7/12 and have checking and savings accounts with them.

I don't need the Fairmont card anymore and would offer to close that one to approve one of the others.

Pulled my Experian:
9 pulls in last two years (4 of these were for mortgage)
AAoA is 21 months

Credit Sesame is 736, DTI is 27%.

What are my chances of getting the 3 other cards?
Just a data point.
I applied for and was instantly approved for the IHG and the CSP. I did two browsers and submitted the aps within seconds of each other. Left the Hyatt for the future even though I was targeted for no annual fee the first year.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:16 pm

We now have a new, slightly encouraging report of a successful churn of the BA Visa after roughly 17 months from cancellation to reapplication:
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Applied 100k offer March, 2011.
Canceled March, 2012 for AF.

Applied 50k offer no AF Aug 2013
Received bonus Sep 2013.
Chase has always allowed users to get a second bonus when the new card is treated as a distinct product, so I suppose it's possible that Chase's internal systems treat the AF & no-AF BA cards as separate. Personally, I doubt that this is the explanation here; if I'm right, then perhaps the wait is now well under the mythical 2 years.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:48 pm

However, it seems that issuers really base small business cards on the person--meaning it does not make that much difference if you personally apply, or in the name of the "business."

Originally Posted by fl9999
Amex seems friendly to give business cards easily. Last year, when I applied for Amex Gold and SimplyCash back business card, and was approved for both cards same day. My business was 6 months old, and my personal credit history was 8 months old only. They basically gave me consideration based on my Personal Gold charge usage.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: Air France Gold, Emirates Gold, former UA 1K, Marriott/Ritz Gold, Hyatt Diamond...
Applied to united explorer, auto approved end of july

Applied to ritz mid august, not auto approved but later approved moved some credit from my pre-existing freedom and amazon lines to get a decent line

Just applied today to CSP, not auto approved (obviously) called recon line, was asked why I want CSP and then had to move 10k from united card to get approved (and stay on hold for a bit - 14 mins total call)

I'm also interested in getting the hyatt but the recon rep said they probably want to see more time passed/age on the new accounts / that I'm not likely to get a new card.

So for getting the hyatt card - is 3 new chase cards in 3 months on top of 2 old accounts indeed dooming me for getting a 4th (which I want for status and mlife status match and maybe do a status challenge to get free suite stays) ?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:03 am

Before applying for another Chase card, should I close 1 of 3 which I already have?

Have BA, UA Select and UA Explorer. Want to apply for Slate, but wasn't sure if they would allow 4 cards at once. Ever since Explorer eliminated Foreign Trans Fees, I don't really need the BA. I will certainly not close either of the 2 UA cards.

Should I close the BA before applying for the Slate? Alternatively, should I try to "convert" the BA into the Slate? Not sure if I would still be eligible for Slate's 0% Balance Transfer offer if I did that, or if they even allow "conversion".

Oh and I have a Kohls which is Chase issued I think -- but that's a dept store card.

Last edited by philemer; Sep 8, 2013 at 9:44 am
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Close when for what reason?

Keep in mind that the credit limit from a just-closed card may not become available for new cards for many months. So the best time to cancel is at least 3 to 6 months before you apply for the next card.

So if you're about to apply for a new card, that's too late. Might as well keep it open, see if they need to pull credit limit from it to approve you for the new card, and whatever happens then cancel this card after you get the new card.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:11 am

I'm going to be launching a venture with a friend and the business is going to be operated through their LLC which I am not currently named on. Can I apply for the Ink Bold still? Not sure how this would work. Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by MoogLiberation
I'm going to be launching a venture with a friend and the business is going to be operated through their LLC which I am not currently named on. Can I apply for the Ink Bold still? Not sure how this would work. Thanks.

No, my brother tried this and Chase wanted fax of LLC and since it a LLC wanted the IRS tax # with it. Better to apply for card by yourselves. Less hassles.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Chase appears to have had a reconsideration call with itself. I got a letter in the mail that reads, "...that you have sufficient credit available with us in relation to your income. In order to open your new account and provide you with the highest possible credit limit, we adjusted other active credit line(s)..."

The letter goes on to say that they reduced the Hyatt line to create the Marriott line.

Cool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.