Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
+1. Call recon ASAP.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by beltway
In case anyone actually cares about data points on churning Chase cards & timing thereof, here's a new report of someone trying to churn the BA Visa ~1 year after the prior successful application & being shot down in flames. Not terribly surprising, but one current data point is better than none.
Awesome - good to hear. One bonus per person per card should be sufficient.

Originally Posted by pickles1107
I would like to apply for the following cards:

CSP
Hyatt
IHG

I have the following cards within the past year:

Fairmont 7/12
SPG 8/12
Alaska 9/12
SW Premier personal 2/13
SW Plus business 2/13
USAir 2/13
Seeing as you only have 2 Chase cards, I think your chance at 1 more would be good, but 3 at the same time is probably stretching it. IME Chase seems more concerned with its own exposure (your available credit on the WN aka SW cards) and not your total borrowing power from all sources. However I am sure they would not look kindly on a high utilization ratio.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:23 pm

The recon team said ~ "we automatically decline the 2nd App" as if...
no call = denial letter
[I'm not really believing this, I shoulda been willing to be the test dummy]
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Chances to get Chase Bold and United MileagePlus card?

Hi, I would like to get your feedback to see my odds for getting Chase Bold card & United Explorer Personal card?

My Credit history is not old enough, and building it from April 2012.

Approved card history:
April 2012 - Got my first card Amex PRG ( Charge card )
July 2012 - PayPal Master Card 3k limit
Dec 2012 - Amex Business Gold card, Amex biz SimplyCash back ( 3k ), Discover More ( 1k ), Chase Amazon ( 3k )
May 2013 - Viking Store card ( 3.5k ) - opened accidentally
June 2013 - Chase Ink Classic ( 3k )

Denied credit card history:
June 2012 - Discover Personal ( Denied ), Capital One Business ( Denied )
July 2012 - WellsFargo Business ( Denied )
Nov 2012 - Chase Ink Cashback ( Denied )
Dec 2012 - Discover Business ( Denied ), Capital One Business ( Denied )
June 2013 - Discover Business ( Denied )

Mostly I use my business cards. My utilization on Personal cards are under 20%. All bills are paid on time in full. No late, nothing! everything is green in credit report except history is not long enough.

Last year, I was charging an average 11k a month on Amex Personal & Biz card.

On my newly chase ink classic card, I have been charging an average 10k a month even though my CL is 3k, but I just have to make payment more often.

I have Chase Personal and business account for almost a year, and would like to get a Bold charge card so that can give me better flexibility for CL. In fact, I would like to move my spending from Amex to chase, if I can get Chase Bold charge card.

My questions are:
1 - Do you suggest if I should apply Chase Bold card as well as United MileagePlus Personal card same day? or Just apply one card - Bold card?
2 - What are my odds for getting approval based on my spending pattern? Amex has been generous to me. Last year, they even allowed me to charge 45k on my charge card based on spending pattern. My highest balance on Amex charge card is 24k in my credit report.
3 - I know I may have to go thru reconsideration line. I would like to know - what should be my sales pitch so I may have better chances to get approved. My biggest concern is that business is 1 yr+ old only, as well as my credit history is not old enough.
4 - Should I wait for 90 days rule?

Than you - I appreciate your time and your kind help.

P.S. - I use my Personal/Business cards for legitimate charges only. No gift card purchases involved.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Given 6 denials in a row I would hang it up for this year and wait at least a year from your last new account. Computer will flag people who apply for too much credit in too short a time, particularly people who do not have an extensive credit history.

If you ignore this advice and apply for Chase, and do not get instant approval, I would call the reconsideration line and offer to move your credit from another Chase card (Amazon?) to the new card. They will generally be happy to do this for you. Make something up about how you don't use Amazon anymore but you want X benefits from the new card. Chase $3k limit is very low, many people get $10-20k very easily. That suggests that Chase doesn't trust you yet and wants you to build up a history before it will give you a higher line and/or more cards. I don't think they really care about your Amex history, all they see is that you keep opening accounts. Income will also be important factor.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Reconsideration Line Not Helpful at All

Its been over a year since my last Chase app so I recently applied for the IHG card. Got a pending decision and called up Recon line next day.

They said they saw it was pending and I would get notification within 30 days. I asked if they could do expedite and they said I would get a notification in 30 days.

Called again and got the same thing. Is this a new thing? I have always been able to get recon line to approve a pending app right away.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Given 6 denials in a row I would hang it up for this year and wait at least a year from your last new account. Computer will flag people who apply for too much credit in too short a time, particularly people who do not have an extensive credit history.

If you ignore this advice and apply for Chase, and do not get instant approval, I would call the reconsideration line and offer to move your credit from another Chase card (Amazon?) to the new card. They will generally be happy to do this for you. Make something up about how you don't use Amazon anymore but you want X benefits from the new card. Chase $3k limit is very low, many people get $10-20k very easily. That suggests that Chase doesn't trust you yet and wants you to build up a history before it will give you a higher line and/or more cards. I don't think they really care about your Amex history, all they see is that you keep opening accounts. Income will also be important factor.
Thank you for your time! I sincerely appreciate your advice.

I came to United States last year in April, and opened my Amex charge card using Global Card Transfer. Amex is being too generous to me and giving me an extended credit line with multiple credit cards. That really made me to think that I deserve more, but I was wrong! As other issuers do not know my history, while Amex considered my history from my home country. Due this reason, I attempted to apply multiple cards last year. I had no knowledge about hard enquiry or whatever! All I saw - 60 sec decision for credit card application. I certainly would not mind to wait for a year or less, but Chase Ultimate Miles are great! The best part that I like, I can transfer miles to United Airlines and can use it for my International trip, as I travel internationally once a year. While with Amex, I had to use those points for HomeDepot gift card and had to buy major appliances. Not a great value for points.

I know that my card is not going to be approved instantly. If I see myself as a risk for Chase, I may just try to apply for Bold card, and skip the United card, as I do not need United card right now. My preference is to get Bold card as first.

Reasons why I need a Bold card:
1 - Need flexible credit line based on my spending pattern as I like to pay off ever month
2 - Like 1:1 transfer for United and Hyatt.
3 - No foreign transaction fee
4 - Of course, love 5x for Office Supply/Internet/Cable ( Not sure if they like to hear this )

Reason why I am applying so soon:
1 - I would love to move my spending from Amex to Chase due to better rewards system
2 - I have been charging an average 10k a month on Chase Ink Classic card ( Which was opened 2 and half month ago ), if I get a bold card, I certainly would charge alot more.
3 - Since I spend alot, and whenever I make frequent payment, then their system sometimes does not accept more payment from me, as they have some limit like I can not over pay due to some of their limit. Plus I have to call too frequently to customer to extend temporary credit line as I have been charging for large purchase frequently.

I certainly can move Amazon card limit since I hardly use this card.

I would like if you guys can share some sales pitch that can help to get approval based on my spending pattern on Chase Ink classic card. My business is 1 and half yr old ( S-Corp ).

Just adding, I also have Chase Credit Card processing account ( authorize.net ), if it adds any weight for my application.

Thank you!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:38 am

I just opened a CSP...how long before I can open an Ink card?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: Far too many
There should be no required wait, as CSP is personal and Ink is business.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:51 am

And my last question is, if I have my wife open a CSP and an INK, can we combine points?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
I have combined UR points from my wife's CSP into my CSP with no issues.^
Originally Posted by rust1d
And my last question is, if I have my wife open a CSP and an INK, can we combine points?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by rust1d
yes
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:16 am

Sweet, thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
Ah. First time still not yet accepted after call...

Was just told my British Airways Visa SignatureŽ Card
app will be decided within 2 wks after I applied
online & got "call us" message.

Issue: too many Chase cards; as usual offered to
move credit limit around or even close unused card;
(none of my Chase cards are older than 9 mos.)

Rep specifically asked why I've applied for so many
credit cards recently, verified my financial condition.
(Lifetime, I've always paid balances in full each month)

My response was I liked the offers & earning points,
& was patron of BA, Marriott, & other card partners.

Was there "magic" phrase or word I should'a used?
Advice from experts appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by TravelPhotographer; Aug 30, 2013 at 9:45 pm
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
What reason did they give you for why you couldn't be approved? Did you try calling back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.