Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by Rickdog99
Quick question. If I apply for a Chase Freedom Card and receive instant approval online, will they provide the cc number so I can make a purchase right away without waiting for the card in the mail. Thanks.
No, you can't. Legally they require you to sign the card before you can use it. As they want to make sure that you agree with their credit card agreement.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:56 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by fl9999
No, you can't. Legally they require you to sign the card before you can use it. As they want to make sure that you agree with their credit card agreement.
That is false. You never have to sign your card. You are already bound to the card agreement when you apply for it and are accepted.

Anyway, to answer Rockdog99's question, that's a flat no. They will not give you the numbers. You have to wait for the card.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Choosing a first Chase Card

I have a 784 FICO and several travel rewards cards with Amex and Citi. I would like to start earning miles for United and Southwest flights. I have no preference for which airline I get a card from first, and I am not ready to have 3 credit pulls in one day. So my question is, which card would you recommend I apply for first, Chase Saphire Preferred, United Mile Explorer, or Southwest Rapid Rewards. I plan on applying in May or June. Once I establish a satisfactory account with Chase, I will apply for other cards with them.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:40 pm

Explorer and Freedom
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
You never have to sign your card. .
True, in fact although the CSR or computer that activates your card will say to sign it, the bank's own Security Department will probably suggest you don't do that. If someone gets ahold of your cc, their signature will not resemble yours, unless you have signed the card. In which case they may try to duplicate your signature, making it harder to prove you are not the person who made the charge. Instead, just write "ask for id" on the signature panel.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat,SPG-Plat,Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by Brugge
True, in fact although the CSR or computer that activates your card will say to sign it, the bank's own Security Department will probably suggest you don't do that. If someone gets ahold of your cc, their signature will not resemble yours, unless you have signed the card. In which case they may try to duplicate your signature, making it harder to prove you are not the person who made the charge. Instead, just write "ask for id" on the signature panel.
Once in a while, if a merchant reject your transaction based on SEE ID remark, and if you are okay with this, then you can go with this route. It may not happen often, but some merchant may decline to complete the transaction based on SEE ID remark.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-ca...ee-ID-1282.php

I put large charges on my card, and wouldn't like to cause any trouble, so I sign it as per CC instruction. If anything goes wrong ( Fraud charge or whatever ), then I am not responsible.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:09 pm

received UA Explorer, Fairfield, and Hyatt cards in last 6 months. Fairfield 3 months back.

Had 2 ink bolds for biz, cancelled one, applied for ink plus. Denied after recon call.

Hold Sapphire Preferred MC that I am going to PC to a Sapphire and want to apply for Preferred VISA.

How many cards are too many in 6 - 9 months? Does biz decision portend decision on personal applications. biz spending stopped shortly after getting bonus on cards? (they bonused bold card 2x)

also turned down for second citibiz last month.

experience . guidance appreciated.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:18 pm

United Mileage plus explorer first (make sure you get the 50k offer though). If you actually fly southwest, you want to apply for that in November/december along with the southwest business card at the same time, and complete minimum spending + enough extra to earn a total of 110k miles for the companion pass in January.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by jacobsta811
United Mileage plus explorer first (make sure you get the 50k offer though). If you actually fly southwest, you want to apply for that in November/december along with the southwest business card at the same time, and complete minimum spending + enough extra to earn a total of 110k miles for the companion pass in January.
If you want the full 22 months to use the CP, that's good advice. But if you don't want to wait 9 months, you could apply for both of them now, do the full min spnd as soon as you get them. Then you could have the CP as soon as June, giving you 7 months to use it this year. Then have your SO follow the advice above in Nov 2015, and cancel your cards. Then if things stay as they are now, you can repeat the process yourself in Nov 2017.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:00 am

Reapply for Sapphire Preferred?

I had a Sapphire Preferred Card which I closed in July 2012. Realize now that this is a great card and would like to reapply. Should I wait until July 2014 or reapply now? Naturally, would like to earn the 40,000 point bonus if possible.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by kajaz
I had a Sapphire Preferred Card which I closed in July 2012. Realize now that this is a great card and would like to reapply. Should I wait until July 2014 or reapply now? Naturally, would like to earn the 40,000 point bonus if possible.
I'd recommend waiting until July or even August 2014 to maximize your chances of getting a second sign-up bonus. In the meantime, if you don't already have one, you can apply for a Freedom card which gives you 5x on dining this quarter. Then you can transfer those points to your CSP and then on to travel partners like United, Hyatt, etc.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:16 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
hello everyone, have a good banking relationship with Chase for a long time. however, new to the CC game, specifically when it comes to Chase. applied for my first Chase card (freedom) last month. I have great credit history (score was around 750 but has dipped after a recent mini-AOR) and all that, have many other CCs, always pay on time etc.

now my Q is how long should I wait before applying for other Chase CCs? next on my list are CSP and Ink. I think I should apply for the CSP first since it's a personal card and then go for the biz ones, right? am I good to apply say a month after my last Chase app?

another card I want to get is the amex SPG, although I'm holding off on it till a better offer comes around -- usually towards the end of the summer when the signup offers are bumped up, especially with amex possibly going to only 1 signup bonus per card per person.

I know this isnt the amex forum but hopefully someone can help: so what would you all recommend? get another Chase (CSP) or get an amex (SPG or blue etc) in the interim... or hold off on both (potentially better offers, historically speaking during the rest of the year) and get some other CC or another Chase CC (UA explorer, marriott) with a currently limited time offer?

hopefully this all makes sense, appreciate all your help!

Last edited by FTR 787; Apr 24, 2014 at 12:22 am
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by FTRox87
hello everyone, have a good banking relationship with Chase for a long time. however, new to the CC game, specifically when it comes to Chase. applied for my first Chase card (freedom) last month. I have great credit history (score was around 750 but has dipped after a recent mini-AOR) and all that, have many other CCs, always pay on time etc.

now my Q is how long should I wait before applying for other Chase CCs? next on my list are CSP and Ink. I think I should apply for the CSP first since it's a personal card and then go for the biz ones, right? am I good to apply say a month after my last Chase app?

another card I want to get is the amex SPG, although I'm holding off on it till a better offer comes around -- usually towards the end of the summer when the signup offers are bumped up, especially with amex possibly going to only 1 signup bonus per card per person.

I know this isnt the amex forum but hopefully someone can help: so what would you all recommend? get another Chase (CSP) or get an amex (SPG or blue etc) in the interim... or hold off on both (potentially better offers, historically speaking during the rest of the year) and get some other CC or another Chase CC (UA explorer, marriott) with a currently limited time offer?

hopefully this all makes sense, appreciate all your help!
I think I'd wait another month or two to apply with Chase. In the meantime, make sure you put some spend on the Freedom card, and pay if off promptly. If your balance gets above $1K or $2K, no harm in paying it off even before the statement closes.

Whether or not to wait till August for the SPG enhanced bonus, that's just a question of how much you value those extra 5K miles. Especially since we can't be sure that will happen anyway.

As for other ccs, it depends on your travel habits. I personally love the IHG card, since the annual fee is only $49 and gets you a certificate for a free night at virtually any IHG property world wide. There are some really nice, and really expensive, Crowne Plaza and InterContinental hotels in Europe where you can use that. Since my wife has the IHG card too, that's 2 free nights per year at one of them. Plus the sign up bonus of 80K points is enough for 2 or 3 nights at one of them.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:19 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by Brugge
I think I'd wait another month or two to apply with Chase. In the meantime, make sure you put some spend on the Freedom card, and pay if off promptly. If your balance gets above $1K or $2K, no harm in paying it off even before the statement closes.

Whether or not to wait till August for the SPG enhanced bonus, that's just a question of how much you value those extra 5K miles. Especially since we can't be sure that will happen anyway.

As for other ccs, it depends on your travel habits. I personally love the IHG card, since the annual fee is only $49 and gets you a certificate for a free night at virtually any IHG property world wide. There are some really nice, and really expensive, Crowne Plaza and InterContinental hotels in Europe where you can use that. Since my wife has the IHG card too, that's 2 free nights per year at one of them. Plus the sign up bonus of 80K points is enough for 2 or 3 nights at one of them.
thanks Brugge, the reason I was considering another Chase app so soon was after reading Brian's successful experience (http://thepointsguy.com/2012/04/my-e...ication-myths/) but that maybe due to many other factors.

anyways yes I have decent spend on the Freedom and good point about paying it off promptly before the statements even close! ^ ... I do value those 5k SPG points as I dont plan to do much MS on that amex, especially since it maybe my first one (and all the horror stories you read about in the amex forum.)

yes I do need to build up my portfolio of hotel cards as well as I do travel internationally a bit. so you're saying it might be a better option to apply for a Chase IHG Visa before another Chase (like CSP etc?) can/should I apply right now (about a month after my first Chase Freedom app?) I wouldnt mind applying for the Chase Marriott as well (as noted above) -- but again not sure how to space Chase apps out (assuming they are all viewed/weighted equally on Chase's backend/computer) and/or which ones to get first?

Last edited by FTR 787; Apr 24, 2014 at 5:24 pm
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:34 pm

I currently have 5 cards with Chase:
Freedom Visa
Freedom MC
United
Ink Bold
Ink Plus MC

My annual fee is due in June for the Ink Plus MC and I would like to get the Ink Plus Visa. Would it be best to cancel the MC in mid-June and then apply for the Visa a few days later? Or maybe it would be better to cancel in June and then apply after 6 months? I got the Ink Bold in February.

I would prefer automatic approval. If I went through Recon, then Chase might see some MS I have done as well as a lot of recent inquiries. I have 10 credit inquiries last 12 months, 6 of which came in the last 6 months.

Last edited by yukon50; Apr 24, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.