Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:43 pm

I would greatly appreciate some opinions regarding my recent apps.

I applied for 2 personal SW cards a few days ago. One was immediately approved with a high CL, the other had a pop-up asking me to call as soon as possible and gave a reference number. It was late and I decided to check the automated status the next day instead of calling. The auto status still says pending with notice expected within 2 wks, and does note that one of my 2 apps is approved.

My question is should I call in the regular recon line at this point (0625), or try to call the number that was in the pop-up message, or just wait it out and see what happens?

I did neglect to write down the number in the message, but from some research I think it's possibly the verification dept. at 800-527-7419.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Ugh. I think I just made the worst mistake in history. Applied, received, met the spend for the 70K Chase Ink Plus. I left the country forgetting to put the payment on autopay. I just checked my account and my payment is 5 days late! I immediately paid the balance.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Did I just lose 70,000 points because my account was not kept up to date (this is my first billing cycle). I messed up. I feel terrible.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:17 am

I would just call Chase and let them know you made a mistake. I've had this happen with other new accounts (not necessarily with Chase) and it was never an issue.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by fropones
I would just call Chase and let them know you made a mistake. I've had this happen with other new accounts (not necessarily with Chase) and it was never an issue.
Yes, same here. If you haven't been making this mistake over and over, just call them. I've successfully gotten them to drop the late fee, and the interest that normally accrues when payments are late, on a one time good faith mistake basis. Be polite, be contrite, and ask them to help you out. Make your case of it being a simple mistake you have not done before, and will not let happen again.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by mastermind85
Denied for SW Business due to the amount of revolving credit lines opened up in the past year (11 overall, 9 are non-AU). Is that really that many? Had it reviewed over the phone. Any excuse I can use to get this reconsidered? I need the Biz before the end of the year...
I was denied for SW buz today with the same explanation (11 cards opened last year). What do you recommend to say when they ask - why do you need so many cards?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by SquarePeg
I was given this same denial reason (number of inquiries, number of new accounts) and was asked why I was seeking so much credit. I replied that I was not seeking credit as she could see that I had plenty of credit lines available and that my usage was very responsible. I explained that I had applied for various cards the previous year because I was interested in the useful benefits being offered like hotel status, free checked bags, no foreign transaction fees etc. Be sure to point out your perfect credit history and existing relationship with Chase (if you have one). I was approved for the biz and personal.
Tried a couple time and still got rejected... even asking to move credit lines over .
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog
I was denied for SW buz today with the same explanation (11 cards opened last year). What do you recommend to say when they ask - why do you need so many cards?
The only thing you can say is the different benefits of each card. No baggage fee, primary car insurance, Gold or Platinum status, etc.

But when they decide you have opened too many cards in the last 6 months, there is no changing their mind. Moving CLs, closing cards, nothing will get them to approve you. All you can do is wait it out, which yes, means no new apps in the meantime with any bank.

Citi is probably more strict on this than Chase. I went from iron clad denial by Citi to instant approval on 2 Citi cards, 2 weeks apart, by waiting until my HPs and recently issued cards fell below 6 for 6 months.

Going cold turkey on apps for several months is horrible, but sometimes it's all you can do.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
The only thing you can say is the different benefits of each card. No baggage fee, primary car insurance, Gold or Platinum status, etc.

But when they decide you have opened too many cards in the last 6 months, there is no changing their mind. Moving CLs, closing cards, nothing will get them to approve you. All you can do is wait it out, which yes, means no new apps in the meantime with any bank.

Citi is probably more strict on this than Chase. I went from iron clad denial by Citi to instant approval on 2 Citi cards, 2 weeks apart, by waiting until my HPs and recently issued cards fell below 6 for 6 months.

Going cold turkey on apps for several months is horrible, but sometimes it's all you can do.
, how many recons should I do before I should give up?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:56 am

, how many recons should I do before I should give up?
With Barclays probably only one, but with both Citi and Chase, at least 3.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Has any previous CSP owners been successful in re-applying and receiving the CSP sign on bonus again?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:38 am

Does anybody know if you can still use the trick of applying for the United Explorer card with a new frequent flyer number and later merge your frequent flyer accounts? Can this method allow you to apply for the card more frequently than every 2 years?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by adnaps1
Does anybody know if you can still use the trick of applying for the United Explorer card with a new frequent flyer number and later merge your frequent flyer accounts? Can this method allow you to apply for the card more frequently than every 2 years?
Should work fine, as long as you also use a different name, address, phone number, and SS#, so that Chase doesn't know who you are.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by agp423
Has any previous CSP owners been successful in re-applying and receiving the CSP sign on bonus again?
Eagerly awaiting a positive answer to this, as my 2 years post bonus date is rapidly approaching.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
With Barclays probably only one, but with both Citi and Chase, at least 3.
Barclays has the nicest CSRs... its a shame their policies are so strict.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:16 pm

Barclays has the nicest CSRs... its a shame their policies are so strict.
Barclays definitely did some customer service training in the past year. The CSR's have come a long way since I started with Barclays 2 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.