Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Holy cow, just checked the Chase site just now and the AF is 150. I know in the CSP wiki thread it says the AF has been all over the place lately. Any idea why? Could be a sign that Chase is planning on upping the fee. Anything more than 95 and the Arrival suddenly is a better deal.
Originally Posted by pointchaser93
Not sure where you are seeing $150 for the CSP AF. It's still 95 on the Chase site right now.
As discussed recently in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ed-1st-yr.html (and in the wiki for that thread), Chase is playing around with different AFs for the CSP. Sometimes you get the $95 offer, sometimes $150. They did the same thing some months ago, but then appeared to stop.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:58 pm

Not sure which thread exactly to put this in since it touches a few of the common topics in this forum.

I am getting the app itch for the CSP. Never have given it consideration because AA is my airline of choice and they are not a transfer partner so Ultimate rewards never really had much value to me. I am going to cancel my Citi AA card next summer when the annual fee is due and with all the devaluations I don't want to hold any more co branded cards as my go to card and instead have a flexible travel rewards card so all my rewards eggs aren't in one basket so to speak. Just last week I apped for the Barclary Arrival plus. Plan on earning AA miles only BIS, my hotels I use hotels.com for bookings if I need a specific hotel, otherwise I will book opaque on hotwire or priceline if I can get a deal and the location area is good. Then will have arrival miles for any travel expense. Seems like a good diversified points portfolio. All my travel is on my own dime so hotel co branded cards are completely useless to me. The only transfer partners I would use would be United and Southwest since hotel programs are a non factor to me, and since I have to connect to get anywhere from my home airport BA Avios lose their value as they are per segment.

However I did some number crunching, assuming the floor of cash value of a UR point is 1.4 cents (transfer to southwest) and having the 2 points on travel and dining, also most important the accelerated points earning shopping through the UR portal I could get a higher rate of return on the CSP as opposed to the constant 2.2 cents on the arrival card, particularly next year as my travel should increase as my student loans will be paid off and I am searching for a new job within my organization so same leave benefits but a bump in pay. If my travel increases next year the CSP will give a better return due to the multiplier, especially booking flights and hotels through hotels.com or expedia/hotwire from the UR shopping portal.

So I was thinking an alternative could be I could fly AA for most of my revenue flights to chase status there, Collect UR points to transfer either to Southwest or United, however if I am rarely flying those airlines it would take quite a while to accumulate points for an award if I am only earning 20-25k UR points per year, So I was thinking of slowly churning the southwest and united cards. I was reading in other threads here you can get the signup bonus about once every 24 months. So once a year I will open either a Southwest or United card, alternating between the two. However the threads about Chase closing accounts, blacklisting, confiscating UR points has me freaked out about that strategy. I don't do MS and never will, and when I open the card for the signup bonus I will just put a little bit of spending on it each month, then close after a year once the annual fee is due so hopefully with that strategy Chase doesnt see it as points abuse.

The travel benefits such as trip delay, car rental, concierge, etc look to be quite a bit better on the CSP than the Arrival world elite MC as well.

I know I kinda rambled, but, sounds like a good strategy? Since I just opened a card a week ago I won't be applying for anything until next summer, and who knows the new AA program might be just as bad as United and Delta by then, at which point my airline choice just becomes a credit card rewards program in which case United and Southwest win out.

Holy cow, just checked the Chase site just now and the AF is 150. I know in the CSP wiki thread it says the AF has been all over the place lately. Any idea why? Could be a sign that Chase is planning on upping the fee. Anything more than 95 and the Arrival suddenly is a better deal.
If you want to be carrier agnostic, then you should really think about cash.

E.g. I value southwest points at less than 1.4. Why? I very rarely would buy southwest flights in cash. The prices are often higher, and the times/service less convenient. At least given my travel.

Also, I wouldn't overvalue the UR portal. You can often get similar, or higher, cash back from one of the cashback shopping portals (I've been an ebates user for more than a decade, but lately topcashback has been much more generous.)

Except for spend on special category spending or sign up bonuses (brands on cobranded cards, freedom & discover categories, etc...) very little beats the barclays arrival in my book.

But, if you are spending < $44.5k the fidelity amex @ 2% and no annual fee beats spending $89 on the barclays. I like my arrival, but not enough to pay the annual fee on it.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Hmm, I see the public CSP offer as 150 AF on the Chase site right now, but when I check to see offers I am pre-qualified for I see the CSP for 95, also see the 95 AF when clicking through links on the blogger sites.

I don't see any difference in benefits with the different AF versions. Seems sketchy to me. What is Chase trying to do?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:09 pm

Hmm, I see the public CSP offer as 150 AF on the Chase site right now, but when I check to see offers I am pre-qualified for I see the CSP for 95, also see the 95 AF when clicking through links on the blogger sites.

I don't see any difference in benefits with the different AF versions. Seems sketchy to me. What is Chase trying to do?
Experimentally measure how some thing they care about (application rates, risk of the application pool, profitability, etc...) varies with af. Plenty of companies do it, but someone at chase either neglected to worry that the same person would view the page twice, or their user tracking to vary at the person rather than page view is screwed up(eg by not keeping cookies)
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:10 pm

Chase main site offers me $95 AF. What you're seeing is price discrimination, it's not unique to Chase, it's everywhere nowadays. Just find the best deal you can and move along
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:44 pm

I currently have a Chase Sapphire (non-preferred) card that I've had for around 5 years that I'm not using for much anymore. I want to get a Freedom for the 5% gas bonus and I also want to build 100k or so UR points to transfer to Southwest which means an Ink and a CSP most likely.

Should I attempt to convert the Sapphire to either a Sapphire Preferred or Freedom, or just leave it alone and apply for the Ink and CSP normally?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by HotPie
I currently have a Chase Sapphire (non-preferred) card that I've had for around 5 years that I'm not using for much anymore. I want to get a Freedom for the 5% gas bonus and I also want to build 100k or so UR points to transfer to Southwest which means an Ink and a CSP most likely.

Should I attempt to convert the Sapphire to either a Sapphire Preferred or Freedom, or just leave it alone and apply for the Ink and CSP normally?
If you convert you don't get the bonus. Just apply anew.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aradisc
Chase main site offers me $95 AF. What you're seeing is price discrimination, it's not unique to Chase, it's everywhere nowadays. Just find the best deal you can and move along
It doesn't matter for the OP, since the AF is waived the first year, and he doesn't plan on renewing a card anyway.

Also worries about miles expiring with US based airlines are groundless. Just get even one mile every year or two by using an airline branded shopping portal, doing a survey, etc. and the miles never expire.

With no MS, and such a low level of yearly spend, I don't think it really matters which card will work best. The main question is which sign up bonus will prove most useful on it's own.

By the way, you most likely don't need to cancel a Citi AA cc, as you nearly always get the fee waived if you call to cancel. And lots of perks from it if you ever fly AA; free checked bags, 10% rebate of miles used for awards. I wouldn't think of canceling mine, since it doesn't end up costing me anything.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Yeah, I got the AF on my Citi AA card waived this summer by calling in. Going to see what happens next summer although I don't have much use for the Citi AA card since I will be putting all my non category spending on my Arrival, and if I can hit Gold status I get most perks anyway with AA.

Looks like the AA program is not radically changing, at least for another year. So I can put my thought of flying United and Southwest and opening the CSP on the back burner for now. Gives me time to garden my credit as on my Arrival card mailing one of the factors listed affecting my credit score was too many recent accounts and young account age.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Quick question -
I have a high credit score, near 800. I want to apply for the British Airways card (personal card). The thing that is bugging me is that I recently got a new, Chase business card just about 70-days ago.

I'm slightly worried that they will deny application for personal card saying that I recently got a business card. Am I mixing apples and oranges here? I've heard to always wait at least 90-days.

Appreciate any advice or thoughts. Thank you, bb.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:52 am
RNE

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I have a high credit score, near 800. I want to apply for the British Airways card (personal card). The thing that is bugging me is that I recently got a new, Chase business card just about 70-days ago. I'm slightly worried that they will deny application for personal card saying that I recently got a business card. Am I mixing apples and oranges here? I've heard to always wait at least 90-days. Appreciate any advice or thoughts. Thank you, bb.
Shouldn't matter. I'd go ahead and apply if I were you.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Adding a data point re multiple apps w/ Chase. I applied for SW biz and personal on same day. The hard inquiries did not merge. Both are showing on Experian. YMMV.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:00 am

Hi all the expert, I have a question regarding apply new BA Card.

I got a BA Card back in 2012 and the welcome bonus of 100k split in half, first 50k in 2012 and second 50k in 2013, I wonder does the 24 months rule count from the first welcome bonus or the 2nd welcome bonus?

Thanks for the help...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by catcathk
Hi all the expert, I have a question regarding apply new BA Card.

I got a BA Card back in 2012 and the welcome bonus of 100k split in half, first 50k in 2012 and second 50k in 2013, I wonder does the 24 months rule count from the first welcome bonus or the 2nd welcome bonus?

Thanks for the help...
My wife and I are in the same boat on this. Hopefully someone has a data point or two?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
My wife and I are in the same boat on this. Hopefully someone has a data point or two?
Ditto. Was wondering same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.