Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by michael_v
Data point here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23656426-post3315.html

Ignore the references to the business card, that was in response to those people who listen to clueless CSRs.

I got the bonus again after more than 24 months after receiving the previous one and I closed the old card just a few months before applying for the new card. HTH
That's great news! That puts me in line for another Marriott card w/ bonus. I'm focused on the SW cards right now (1st time) as I need the CP more than I need any hotel points but a good data point to be sure. Just waiting for the end of this month for 2 hps to fall off... and of course with Chase's new harsh wording about churners, we'll all have to pace ourselves and be cherry pick only the best bonuses.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
with Chase's new harsh wording about churners, we'll all have to pace ourselves and be cherry pick only the best bonuses.
I'm less worried about that than some seem to be. I just make sure I put some monthly spend on every Chase card I have open. Even useless ones like Marriott, since I'll never spend enough on it to get a free room.

I'm guessing what Chase has in mind is people who sign up, get the bonus, and cancel a few months later having done no spend past the minimum required for the bonus. With my serious MS going on a few prime cards, it's no problem to put $100 or $200 a month of normal expenses on the other Chase cards so that Chase continues to consider me a valuable customer.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by Brugge
I'm less worried about that than some seem to be. I just make sure I put some monthly spend on every Chase card I have open. Even useless ones like Marriott, since I'll never spend enough on it to get a free room.

I'm guessing what Chase has in mind is people who sign up, get the bonus, and cancel a few months later having done no spend past the minimum required for the bonus. With my serious MS going on a few prime cards, it's no problem to put $100 or $200 a month of normal expenses on the other Chase cards so that Chase continues to consider me a valuable customer.
Try reapplying and let us know how it goes..
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
Try reapplying and let us know how it goes..
I applied for a new IHG MC, since I canceled my Visa in time to not be transitioned over. Applied for the MC 3 weeks ago, got an instant approval, and the 80K points are already posted to my account.

Chase loves me, this I know...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:36 am

Anyone having issues with the automated app status line? I applied for the Ink Bold before it goes away. When I call the automated status line (all available numbers) and give my SSN (sole prop) the recording only says "to repeat this info press......". It never gives any status or even acknowledges the app is in progress.

Does this have something to do with it being a business card?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
There is a different number I called for my Ink app back in May:

1-800-625-5166
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:10 am

Thanks. I get the same message of "to repeat this info press 7" but there is no info to repeat. That is the only thing it says after plugging in my SSN.

I applied yesterday so it is not a timing issue. I guess it really is pending or it being the discontinued bold card may also have out it into limbo.

I did get the 10 day email yesterday so they have the app. If I had messed up the SSN I would have expected a no app on file message.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:44 pm

First time I've been denied a Business card but they made valid points, too many business CCs open for the revenue (I don't lie about the revenue so it's fairly low). I may call back in and try another angle, like offering to close a card. How long does a particular application last in the "reconsideration" phase?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
("Darn") I was afraid of that. I have a bunch of Chase cards approaching the 2 year point since the bonus posted. Some like the Marriott are not worth spending on, and now that my go to category 4 locations have become cat 6, the free night certificate is nearly useless too. So I don't want to pay the AF, but getting 70K points and no fee the first year would be nice.
Back when Freedom was offered at 20k-- had same card 3 years -- closed it and "next day " applied and got the 20k

I believe if received card bonus 2 years or more one can close card and not wait , maybe what I did would make others uncomfortable if so then wait a few weeks or months if that is your comfort level
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007
Back when Freedom was offered at 20k-- had same card 3 years -- closed it and "next day " applied and got the 20k

I believe if received card bonus 2 years or more one can close card and not wait , maybe what I did would make others uncomfortable if so then wait a few weeks or months if that is your comfort level
^ Thank you so much, that will make my next AoR much more comfortable. Saves me going back and forth in my head, wondering if I should wait a few months or not.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by tys90
First time I've been denied a Business card but they made valid points, too many business CCs open for the revenue (I don't lie about the revenue so it's fairly low). I may call back in and try another angle, like offering to close a card. How long does a particular application last in the "reconsideration" phase?
HAVE READ 30 days -- never needed 30 days --I WOULD NOT GIVE UP --think of why you need the card -must be more than just sign up -explain it to them --if you make sense and sound confident and give a reason --- will be approved --if you look from chase point of view why you should not get a card --I guarantee you will not the card --think why you should
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Today is the day that an agent replied to my husband's secured message telling him the 40k bonus points would be posting, tic toc tic toc.. still no points .
This is his 2nd card after more than 24 mos of receiving first set of bonus points with first card.

Opened 8-25
statement closed- 9/24 Met more than required spend.
Authorized user points and points for sales all posted quickly.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007
HAVE READ 30 days -- never needed 30 days --I WOULD NOT GIVE UP --think of why you need the card -must be more than just sign up -explain it to them --if you make sense and sound confident and give a reason --- will be approved --if you look from chase point of view why you should not get a card --I guarantee you will not the card --think why you should
I called in 4 more times, trying different things and they didn't budge at all. They are really tightening up on their business applications. I do have another legitimate business but I generally don't use it for CC applications, am I able to re-apply using that business? Is there a certain time period I need to wait?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Not sure which thread exactly to put this in since it touches a few of the common topics in this forum.

I am getting the app itch for the CSP. Never have given it consideration because AA is my airline of choice and they are not a transfer partner so Ultimate rewards never really had much value to me. I am going to cancel my Citi AA card next summer when the annual fee is due and with all the devaluations I don't want to hold any more co branded cards as my go to card and instead have a flexible travel rewards card so all my rewards eggs aren't in one basket so to speak. Just last week I apped for the Barclary Arrival plus. Plan on earning AA miles only BIS, my hotels I use hotels.com for bookings if I need a specific hotel, otherwise I will book opaque on hotwire or priceline if I can get a deal and the location area is good. Then will have arrival miles for any travel expense. Seems like a good diversified points portfolio. All my travel is on my own dime so hotel co branded cards are completely useless to me. The only transfer partners I would use would be United and Southwest since hotel programs are a non factor to me, and since I have to connect to get anywhere from my home airport BA Avios lose their value as they are per segment.

However I did some number crunching, assuming the floor of cash value of a UR point is 1.4 cents (transfer to southwest) and having the 2 points on travel and dining, also most important the accelerated points earning shopping through the UR portal I could get a higher rate of return on the CSP as opposed to the constant 2.2 cents on the arrival card, particularly next year as my travel should increase as my student loans will be paid off and I am searching for a new job within my organization so same leave benefits but a bump in pay. If my travel increases next year the CSP will give a better return due to the multiplier, especially booking flights and hotels through hotels.com or expedia/hotwire from the UR shopping portal.

So I was thinking an alternative could be I could fly AA for most of my revenue flights to chase status there, Collect UR points to transfer either to Southwest or United, however if I am rarely flying those airlines it would take quite a while to accumulate points for an award if I am only earning 20-25k UR points per year, So I was thinking of slowly churning the southwest and united cards. I was reading in other threads here you can get the signup bonus about once every 24 months. So once a year I will open either a Southwest or United card, alternating between the two. However the threads about Chase closing accounts, blacklisting, confiscating UR points has me freaked out about that strategy. I don't do MS and never will, and when I open the card for the signup bonus I will just put a little bit of spending on it each month, then close after a year once the annual fee is due so hopefully with that strategy Chase doesnt see it as points abuse.

The travel benefits such as trip delay, car rental, concierge, etc look to be quite a bit better on the CSP than the Arrival world elite MC as well.

I know I kinda rambled, but, sounds like a good strategy? Since I just opened a card a week ago I won't be applying for anything until next summer, and who knows the new AA program might be just as bad as United and Delta by then, at which point my airline choice just becomes a credit card rewards program in which case United and Southwest win out.

Holy cow, just checked the Chase site just now and the AF is 150. I know in the CSP wiki thread it says the AF has been all over the place lately. Any idea why? Could be a sign that Chase is planning on upping the fee. Anything more than 95 and the Arrival suddenly is a better deal.

Last edited by Dadaluma83; Oct 27, 2014 at 12:46 pm Reason: Saw the CSP annual fee
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Not sure which thread exactly to put this in since it touches a few of the common topics in this forum.

I am getting the app itch for the CSP. Never have given it consideration because AA is my airline of choice and they are not a transfer partner so Ultimate rewards never really had much value to me. I am going to cancel my Citi AA card next summer when the annual fee is due and with all the devaluations I don't want to hold any more co branded cards as my go to card and instead have a flexible travel rewards card so all my rewards eggs aren't in one basket so to speak. Just last week I apped for the Barclary Arrival plus. Plan on earning AA miles only BIS, my hotels I use hotels.com for bookings if I need a specific hotel, otherwise I will book opaque on hotwire or priceline if I can get a deal and the location area is good. Then will have arrival miles for any travel expense. Seems like a good diversified points portfolio. All my travel is on my own dime so hotel co branded cards are completely useless to me. The only transfer partners I would use would be United and Southwest since hotel programs are a non factor to me, and since I have to connect to get anywhere from my home airport BA Avios lose their value as they are per segment.

However I did some number crunching, assuming the floor of cash value of a UR point is 1.4 cents (transfer to southwest) and having the 2 points on travel and dining, also most important the accelerated points earning shopping through the UR portal I could get a higher rate of return on the CSP as opposed to the constant 2.2 cents on the arrival card, particularly next year as my travel should increase as my student loans will be paid off and I am searching for a new job within my organization so same leave benefits but a bump in pay. If my travel increases next year the CSP will give a better return due to the multiplier, especially booking flights and hotels through hotels.com or expedia/hotwire from the UR shopping portal.

So I was thinking an alternative could be I could fly AA for most of my revenue flights to chase status there, Collect UR points to transfer either to Southwest or United, however if I am rarely flying those airlines it would take quite a while to accumulate points for an award if I am only earning 20-25k UR points per year, So I was thinking of slowly churning the southwest and united cards. I was reading in other threads here you can get the signup bonus about once every 24 months. So once a year I will open either a Southwest or United card, alternating between the two. However the threads about Chase closing accounts, blacklisting, confiscating UR points has me freaked out about that strategy. I don't do MS and never will, and when I open the card for the signup bonus I will just put a little bit of spending on it each month, then close after a year once the annual fee is due so hopefully with that strategy Chase doesnt see it as points abuse.

The travel benefits such as trip delay, car rental, concierge, etc look to be quite a bit better on the CSP than the Arrival world elite MC as well.

I know I kinda rambled, but, sounds like a good strategy? Since I just opened a card a week ago I won't be applying for anything until next summer, and who knows the new AA program might be just as bad as United and Delta by then, at which point my airline choice just becomes a credit card rewards program in which case United and Southwest win out.

Holy cow, just checked the Chase site just now and the AF is 150. I know in the CSP wiki thread it says the AF has been all over the place lately. Any idea why? Could be a sign that Chase is planning on upping the fee. Anything more than 95 and the Arrival suddenly is a better deal.
Not sure where you are seeing $150 for the CSP AF. It's still 95 on the Chase site right now. As far as your strategy goes, churning the co-branded airlines cards will be tough. For one, points DO expire if you cancel the card, so if you're not flying on that airline consistently you may not be able to use them all before they expire. Secondly, as you said, you may get blacklisted if you churn too much. You can definitely get a higher overall rate of return on UR points with transfer partners than you can on BAP. However, the BAP can still be useful for incidentals.

If you can get an Ink Plus, it's much better than the CSP. The sign-up bonus is higher and the 5x categories can significantly increase your average earn rate. You can buy gift cards at office stores for stuff you would buy anyway (gas, groceries, Amazon, etc.) Since you actually planned on spending the money anyway, I don't consider it MS. You can pair the Ink with a Freedom no AF card to increase your overall earn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.