Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
To the people who lower CLs to get instant approvals - I am considering lowering CL on my CSP to free up credit on the $20k line. My concern is that I want this to be my "go to" card and that lowering CL will matter more than doing so for an Exec card that I don't plan to keep. Lowering the CL will result in a higher utilization for me but I usually do not put more than a few hundred $ on CSP anyhow. That said, my business cards can pick up slack if I need to make a large purchase and have it now show on my credit report. I have acquired 6 Chase cards in 2014 so I think I may have to wait a bit before next app anyhow, so maybe I wait until I plan to apply before lowering CL? Not sure why I am so hung up on keeping that high CL, but I am. Thoughts are appreciated.
Why lower the CL on the card you plan to use? Lower the CL on the cards you don't care as much about. With 6 Chase cards, at least some of them will have CLs you don't need.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
My concern is that I want this to be my "go to" card....

I have acquired 6 Chase cards in 2014 so I think I may have to wait a bit before next app anyhow, so maybe I wait until I plan to apply before lowering CL? Not sure why I am so hung up on keeping that high CL, but I am. Thoughts are appreciated.
My wife and I hate to lower CLs, and almost cry when canceling a cc. Silly, I know, but I guess that comes from the days we really struggled to get any credit at all. But we do lower them because as much as we hate to lower our CLs, we like instant approvals even more.

And YES, with 6 Chase cards already, and the year not yet over, I'd think it's time to slow down as well. What I do know is that not only will you not get instant approved with too high a CL, I've been told by a Chase CSR that they cannot approve an app with more than $60K in Chase CLs, and have to get a secondary approval from a Supervisor if it's over $60K. But as you said, you don't have to worry about that until you get ready to do a new Chase app.

I personally don't ever worry about lowering my CL having an effect on my credit utilization, because I pay off almost every thing I charge before the statement posts. Therefore, no matter how much I charge, my CU is always below 1%. Sometimes that means I have to do 2 payments to a single cc in a month, but so far no one has complained about that.

My CSP CL is the highest I have with Chase, since that is my go to card when I travel, and my emergency backup card as well.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
The wiki says:

Chase's policy does not indicate whether there is also a minimum waiting period between cancellation and reapplication, and there is not yet sufficient anecdotal evidence from FTers to draw firm conclusions. At a minimum, a prudent churner will wait at least a week or two after cancellation before reapplying so that all of Chase's systems fully reflect that closure. (See first bullet point above.)

Is the bold part still true?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by Brugge
My wife and I hate to lower CLs, and almost cry when canceling a cc. Silly, I know, but I guess that comes from the days we really struggled to get any credit at all. But we do lower them because as much as we hate to lower our CLs, we like instant approvals even more.

And YES, with 6 Chase cards already, and the year not yet over, I'd think it's time to slow down as well. What I do know is that not only will you not get instant approved with too high a CL, I've been told by a Chase CSR that they cannot approve an app with more than $60K in Chase CLs, and have to get a secondary approval from a Supervisor if it's over $60K. But as you said, you don't have to worry about that until you get ready to do a new Chase app.

I personally don't ever worry about lowering my CL having an effect on my credit utilization, because I pay off almost every thing I charge before the statement posts. Therefore, no matter how much I charge, my CU is always below 1%. Sometimes that means I have to do 2 payments to a single cc in a month, but so far no one has complained about that.

My CSP CL is the highest I have with Chase, since that is my go to card when I travel, and my emergency backup card as well.
Thanks.. maybe I can bump it down to $10k and move on. Either way, the card will be canceled in 1.5 years so I can (hopefully) get another bonus at that time, so all is not lost!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:57 am

Thanks.. maybe I can bump it down to $10k and move on. Either way, the card will be canceled in 1.5 years so I can (hopefully) get another bonus at that time, so all is not lost!
$10K is what I have on my CSP. All my other Chase cards are at $2K or $3K, depending on how much I use them. I try to put something on each one every billing period. I so want Chase to think "he always uses all his cards, let's give him another one".

Another reason I happily lower my CLs is that I have a fistful of cards from B of A, Barclays, Chase, Citi, and US Bank, so I have no problem doing as much spend as I want each month without maxing anything out.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by Fuerza
Should? I want Freedom and I'm also considering CSP. I have Ink already so the possibility of 60k UR points is appealing. 20k Freedom + 40k CSP.
Applied for both and was approved for both. I'm quietly waiting to feel the damage of the credit inquiries.

I did the app's within minutes of each other to test the theory of whether they would pull my CR twice.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:21 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Fuerza
Applied for both and was approved for both. I'm quietly waiting to feel the damage of the credit inquiries.
Congratulations. Won't be much damage at all and it won't last long.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
That is the OLD BOOK that started from 2008 and probably ended a year ago.

The NEW (or actually return to the PRE-2008 practice) is to LOWER your CL to manageable overall exposure that Chase system can pass you app without requiring a human approval.

We canceled Chase cards without hoarding credit lines since 12 months ago, and all subsequent apps were instant approvals without the need to call recon.

Brugge's post is the advice you should take on how to manage Chase cards. But if you prefer to call to shift your CL, versus getting instant approval, that is fine too. lol.
I'm canceling CSP tomorrow due to AF and want to open another card. I've never done this method before. how long are you guys waiting between closing old card and applying for new card? bad idea to do this within a couple of days of each other?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by canyoncar
I'm canceling CSP tomorrow due to AF and want to open another card. I've never done this method before. how long are you guys waiting between closing old card and applying for new card? bad idea to do this within a couple of days of each other?
I cancelled on 12/10. I'm waiting a couple of weeks at least.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:16 am

A data point for you guys.

I just got the BA (personal), and the Marriott(personal) cards within 2 weeks of each other. (and the United Business card 2 weeks before that). So 3 cards in one month.

I now have 9 total open Chase cards (7 personal, and 2 business cards).

Not sure Chase really has a limit on how many cards you can have.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:03 am

Thinking about applying for the British Airways Card before end of month. I have 3 personal and 1 business card from Chase. Haven't applied for any personal since April 2014. I am most likely maxed out on CL. How is Chase with re-allocating CL on other cards to approve for new British Airways card? It used to be no problem but not sure now.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by cacraig
A data point for you guys.

I just got the BA (personal), and the Marriott(personal) cards within 2 weeks of each other. (and the United Business card 2 weeks before that). So 3 cards in one month.

I now have 9 total open Chase cards (7 personal, and 2 business cards).

Not sure Chase really has a limit on how many cards you can have.
^ Impressive ! I didn't think they would give out so many so fast.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by metoo
Thinking about applying for the British Airways Card before end of month. I have 3 personal and 1 business card from Chase. Haven't applied for any personal since April 2014. I am most likely maxed out on CL. How is Chase with re-allocating CL on other cards to approve for new British Airways card? It used to be no problem but not sure now.
Just be sure that your total CL with Chase is less than $60K.

Mine was over that, and the CSR said he wanted to approve my app, but couldn't do anything, including moving credit, or even reducing credit, until a supervisor reviewed my accounts. First thing I did after that app was approved was SM Chase to reduce my total Chase CL to $30K. Next 2 apps were instant approval.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
I cancelled on 12/10. I'm waiting a couple of weeks at least.
Thanks man. I'll try to wait as long as I can, but I've been looking to do a mini AOR for a while now
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Anyone?

Originally Posted by italdesign
The wiki says:

Chase's policy does not indicate whether there is also a minimum waiting period between cancellation and reapplication, and there is not yet sufficient anecdotal evidence from FTers to draw firm conclusions. At a minimum, a prudent churner will wait at least a week or two after cancellation before reapplying so that all of Chase's systems fully reflect that closure. (See first bullet point above.)

Is the bold part still true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.