Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Does anyone have any experience with how strict Chase is with the 24-month rule and how they apply it? Unlike the AmEx and Citi FT topics, we don't seem to have much insight from experiences.

It seems the United card is very strict while the Marriott, personal and biz, is easier. Several people seem to have been able to churn the Shappire Preferred in less than 24 months.
I don't recall seeing seeing any evidence to that effect. Are you perhaps thinking of Chase's idiosyncratic practice of treating Visa & MC versions of the same card as different products (with the result that a recently-closed Visa doesn't affect one's ability to earn a bonus on a new MC)?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:27 am
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
For the umpteenth time, allow me to remind everyone that there's no need to guess or worry. Simply contact Chase through the secure message center and ask for confirmation that if you apply for the offer, are approved and meet the spend, will you receive the bonus. Yes or no.
This!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by beltway
I don't recall seeing seeing any evidence to that effect. Are you perhaps thinking of Chase's idiosyncratic practice of treating Visa & MC versions of the same card as different products (with the result that a recently-closed Visa doesn't affect one's ability to earn a bonus on a new MC)?
Probably am thinking of VISA/MC trick on the CSP. The Marriott seems to have been stricter than 2 years by Marriott for the free 1-4 cert but easier ,in the past at least, by Chase on the bonus points. Of course there are so many RSVP apps sent out by the Marriott card that may override the 24 months.

Many of us would rather have as few eyes on our accounts at Chase as possible. I could SM Chase about whether I can do my WN spend in less than 24 months and get the bonus, but first- I don't expect an SM to be much more binding on Chase than a CSR (and much less likely to be favorable). SM's have a high rate of denial of new bonuses and once that's in your file it's done while people who stay quiet seem to have better luck. Cats + curiosity.

Second, I absolutely need to stay under Chase's radar on new cards.

Last edited by tassojunior; Jan 1, 2015 at 10:20 am
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Probably am thinking of VISA/MC trick on the CSP. The Marriott seems to have been stricter than 2 years by Marriott for the free 1-4 cert but easier ,in the past at least, by Chase on the bonus points. Of course there are so many RSVP apps sent out by the Marriott card that may override the 24 months.
Given how new the 24-month-rule is, there's hardly any relevant "past" to speak of. And what came before (roughly 1-year wait from cancellation) has no bearing at all on what Chase is doing now.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:26 am

Lappie in post 1899 in the topic listed below says that he got both personal and business and both Plus and Premier Southwest cards (pers and biz) all with 50K bonuses twice in under 24 months all under the same RR #. This could be significant:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...l#post24098868

OTOH, GoldenGate in post 1847 of the below thread, says he was denied the Marriott points for having had the card again within 24 months but got the free night cert from Marriott:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-visa-124.html

Last edited by tassojunior; Jan 5, 2015 at 10:46 am
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
I recently signed up and was approved for a Chase Ritz Cartlton Visa credit card. I also have an Ink Bold card for my business from ~3 years ago.

I am thinking about signing up for an Ultimate Rewards credit card.

Will Chase do another credit check and will it do another hard pull on my credit report? I signed up for the Ritz Carlton card about 2 weeks ago.

Rock.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rock72
Will Chase do another credit check and will it do another hard pull on my credit report? I signed up for the Ritz Carlton card about 2 weeks ago.
Most definitely.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Most definitely.
aw ok. looks like i'll wait for the next sapphire promo that's more than 40k UR.

Rock.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:51 pm

delete

Last edited by Trinob; Jan 6, 2015 at 12:52 pm Reason: wrong thread
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Question for you guys...I currently have CSP and Freedom and I was going to sign the wife up for these 2 cards for the signup bonus' and to maximize the freedom 5% categories. She is an AU on both of my cards; do I need to remove her before she apply's or does Chase not consider an AU as a "previous cardholder"? I have read the T&C's of the cards but they only state that you can not be a current cardholder or have been in the last 24 months, to receive bonus...curious as to how they treat AU's??
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:05 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Question for you guys...I currently have CSP and Freedom and I was going to sign the wife up for these 2 cards for the signup bonus' and to maximize the freedom 5% categories. She is an AU on both of my cards; do I need to remove her before she apply's or does Chase not consider an AU as a "previous cardholder"?
No. TSMRSRNE was an AU on both of my accounts and got both cards of her own with the bonuses. No problem.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Originally Posted by RNE
No. TSMRSRNE was an AU on both of my accounts and got both cards of her own with the bonuses. No problem.

Awesome, thank you for the valuable info!!

Cheers!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Apply for two different Chase cards at same time?

I'm sure the answer is in here somewhat (probably in several posts), but I've skimmed and search and haven't found it.

I'm thinking of applying for both the Chase IHG and BA cards. Does it increase my likelihood of being rejected for one if I apply for both on the same day? If so, how long should I wait between the two applications? (FWIW, I also have Chase Sapphire, Hyatt, Marriot and Ink Bold cards.)

Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm sure the answer is in here somewhat (probably in several posts), but I've skimmed and search and haven't found it.

I'm thinking of applying for both the Chase IHG and BA cards. Does it increase my likelihood of being rejected for one if I apply for both on the same day? If so, how long should I wait between the two applications? (FWIW, I also have Chase Sapphire, Hyatt, Marriot and Ink Bold cards.)

Thanks for any help.
I'd say it does increase the liklihood of getting rejected, yes. But, while I don't know for sure what works best, here's how I do it with Chase:

1) Apply for multiple cards within minutes of each other.
2) Wait to get the pending (or whatever) message since I never get auto-approved because I have too much credit with Chase.
3) Call the Recon line immediately, explaining that I'm not really looking to get more credit, just want to get the BA card because I'm going to be flying BA a lot and would like the benefits it offers, and will be staying at IHG hotels a lot now, so I want that too (same reason).
4) Be willing to reallocate existing credit lines (partially).

Don't mention that you're doing it for the bonus. That's always a bad idea. They want long term customers.

Good luck, report back! Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:50 pm

Has anyone been so bold as to apply for both the Southwest Plus and Premier personals at the same time ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.