Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I have two Chase cards with 30k lines (Both 2+ years old), when I applied for a third I did not get instant approval. On recon call they just asked for more information and gave me a 5k line.

I do want to get a 4th card without a recon call, so I adjusted one of my initial card lines down to 5k (that card I very rarely use) via a secure message, it was immediately changed. I will report back if I get the 4th card with instant approval (FICO score still as high as usual, no real ding from the last credit application)
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:02 am

I just applied for the Southwest Plus and Premier cards (personal, not business). I was given a "we need more time to review your application" message for the premier (which I applied for first). I clicked the Plus application button a few seconds later and was instantly approved. Now I'm wondering what the best approach is to get the Premier. Do I just wait until I hear from Chase? Do I call the reconsideration line right away? I'm not sure what to say if they ask why I want the premier when I already have the plus.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by Ritley572
That's interesting considering I am a very new customer and got a completely different answer. They never once told me they didn't want to give me two business cards. They told me they didn't want to give me any new cards until they "saw how I did". But they never mentioned a 1 card per business rule. Hrmmm, might be time to start up a new business.
When calling recon for my 2nd biz card, the fact that it was a different business DID seem to tip the scales in my favor. I got just a 5k CL but an approval is an approval.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by best
Any recent experiences with how to overcome the following: with 800 FICO and no prior Chase problem: apply for a Chase card; Chase pulls your credit; several days later they advise that due to "previous unsatisfactory experience " it was turned down. You call and Chase refuses to provide any reason. You ask your Chase branch Manager to call and Chase card refuses to give her any reason.
Is this what they call "black balling."
Doesn't the law require them to provide you with specific information when they decline a credit application? Ask them for copies of everything they're required to give you.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by artsy1
I just applied for the Southwest Plus and Premier cards (personal, not business). I was given a "we need more time to review your application" message for the premier (which I applied for first). I clicked the Plus application button a few seconds later and was instantly approved. Now I'm wondering what the best approach is to get the Premier. Do I just wait until I hear from Chase? Do I call the reconsideration line right away? I'm not sure what to say if they ask why I want the premier when I already have the plus.
Call the reconsider line.
Read this first.
http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/6-...on-phone-call/
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Doesn't the law require them to provide you with specific information when they decline a credit application? Ask them for copies of everything they're required to give you.
They are required to send it in writing.

I don't deal with recon lines. I always get a pending review notification and I always get approval by simply waiting. I did this on Thursday with a targeted United 55k offer and the Ritz Carlton 140k offer. I got an email with an approval for the United card on Friday and the Ritz Carlton card just showed up when I logged in to my Chase account.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by VABuckeye
I don't deal with recon lines. I always get a pending review notification and I always get approval by simply waiting. I did this on Thursday with a targeted United 55k offer....
Of course you don't have to call Recon for a targeted offer. That is basically preapproved unless you say something really stupid on the app form.

But sometimes they do need to talk to you. It can be as simple as asking how much CL you feel that you need. Or you may be maxed out on CL with them, and if you don't call in to move some over to the new card, they may just decide on their own which card to move it from. In some cases people have reported Chase actually closed a card without asking, and moved that Cl to the new card. Your personal credit history with Chase may be so Golden that it doesn't matter, but for most of us, we are tempting fate if we don't call in.

It's much easier to convince a wavering CSR to approve you than to get one to overturn a written denial.

Keep Calm and Churn On....
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: Lotz
Applied for the UA biz card today. Already have the Southwest biz. I phoned and they "needed to verify" some identifying info but then said they were recommending approval and I would get a letter or card "soon".

If approved this will be my 2nd biz card in 6 weeks and my 3rd new Chase card in 6 weeks. Need to push another personal soon but I'll certainly hold off until after this biz card is received.

update: 2/3- In spite of the verification rep "recommending" approval I found by phoning today that my UA biz app was denied for too many requests in too short a time. Chase, especially Chase biz, is getting tough on multiple apps in too short a time. Even with moving credit lines. Beware.

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 3, 2015 at 4:33 pm
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:02 pm

I asked this question in another thread but realize the question is related to ALL Chase cards, not just the Ink Plus specifically, and should be in the Wiki for this thread.

I'm about to cancel a Chase card for AF refund (Ritz, only had it for 1 month) and I want to apply for the Ink Plus soon. Will canceling an existing Chase card effect my ability to get another Chase card immediately? Or should I apply for the Chase card I want first and then cancel the other Chase card?

I do have other accounts with Chase:
1. Marriott Premier since mid-2014 (use it quite heavily)
2. a small mortgage since mid-2013 (no other banking products)

The Ritz card I'm planning on cancelling I did use for some Marriott and other spending, got the 140k points and $600 in airline reimbursement so Chase will definitely be getting the short end of that deal which is what has me concerned.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by justinh20
I asked this question in another thread but realize the question is related to ALL Chase cards, not just the Ink Plus specifically, and should be in the Wiki for this thread.

I'm about to cancel a Chase card for AF refund (Ritz, only had it for 1 month) and I want to apply for the Ink Plus soon. Will canceling an existing Chase card effect my ability to get another Chase card immediately? Or should I apply for the Chase card I want first and then cancel the other Chase card?

I do have other accounts with Chase:
1. Marriott Premier since mid-2014 (use it quite heavily)
2. a small mortgage since mid-2013 (no other banking products)

The Ritz card I'm planning on cancelling I did use for some Marriott and other spending, got the 140k points and $600 in airline reimbursement so Chase will definitely be getting the short end of that deal which is what has me concerned.
I think you answered your own question. Keep the card and apply, what do you have to gain by cancelling it now before you apply for the new card? Expect to be grilled on your new application about why you need the credit and additional card, per usual Chase behavior.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
I think you answered your own question. Keep the card and apply, what do you have to gain by cancelling it now before you apply for the new card? Expect to be grilled on your new application about why you need the credit and additional card, per usual Chase behavior.
Yeah, I mean, I don't have an actual answer to your question, but here's how I would do it...

1) Apply for new card.
2) If I don't get it automatically, call recon.
3) Get grilled. Offer to close the account I already planned on closing, and transfer the CL over to the new account.

If you get automatically approved, then the rest is easy to do. Just be sure to transfer the old CL over to the new card when you call in to cancel. No point in losing it.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Yeah, I mean, I don't have an actual answer to your question, but here's how I would do it...

1) Apply for new card.
2) If I don't get it automatically, call recon.
3) Get grilled. Offer to close the account I already planned on closing, and transfer the CL over to the new account.

If you get automatically approved, then the rest is easy to do. Just be sure to transfer the old CL over to the new card when you call in to cancel. No point in losing it.
Thanks for the replies. My hesitation in applying is that I'd like to see if the 70k offer comes around soon and I'm not in a rush to get the Ink Plus - unless I need to be with the impending cancellation of my Ritz card.

To add to that, I'd like to get the Freedom card too when the $200 signup comes back around but maybe I should apply for both now? Or is it too much to apply for 3 Chase cards in 60 days (including Ritz)?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Thanks for the replies. My hesitation in applying is that I'd like to see if the 70k offer comes around soon and I'm not in a rush to get the Ink Plus - unless I need to be with the impending cancellation of my Ritz card.

To add to that, I'd like to get the Freedom card too when the $200 signup comes back around but maybe I should apply for both now? Or is it too much to apply for 3 Chase cards in 60 days (including Ritz)?
Cancelling the Ritz card may make your recon call more uncomfortable, it's difficult to say because we don't know if you would be approved whether or not your Ritz card was closed. 3 cards in 60 days is a lot from Chase. Not impossible but more difficult than other banks.. it's all about mitigating risk. Your ability to refund the AF will be gone soon, right? That's the most important thing so cancel that card soon as you can. And given that your chances of approval probably go down with a recon call and recent closure, you want to apply for that new card before closing. So it follows that you should probably apply soon for that Ink+. Besides you don't know the 70k will come back or when the Freedom offer will come back. When the Freedom offer comes back, even if it's tomorrow, you can just wait a couple months until the offer's expiration date and apply at the end of that window.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Managing Chase UR cards and accounts

I've had the Chase Sapphire for a few years.

I got the Chase Freedom and the Ink Plus within the past few months, got the bonus UR points for those.

However, the Ink Plus UR bucket is separate from the CSP and CF bucket.

I'm using the Ink Plus for ISP and mobile bills for the 5X points. But I don't think it would be worth the annual fee to keep it beyond the first year.

Do the UR points disappear if I cancel the Ink Plus? I know I can transfer the points before I cancel, but you can only transfer rounded to 1000 points at a time so I may be left with somewhere between 1-999 points.

Would it be possible to transfer the Ink Plus points to the CSP/CF UR account first and then cancel?

Same question about canceling the CSP but keeping the CF which has no annual fee. I guess the points would be active as long as I keep the CF card, even if the bulk of the points (around 200k) were earned on CSP?

How long can you wait to get the CSP bonus again if you cancel? 2 years? Never?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:29 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Managing Chase UR cards and accounts

You can transfer any amount of points between cards so either move them to CSP (or freedom).

2 years per chase card churn.

I'm ditching my CSP in a few months and keeping ink since I get more value from 5x bonus categories than 2x dining (which my Marriott and others give me). Don't forget you can buy Amazon, starbucks, whole foods, etc.. Gift cards at office supply stores with ink and get 5x as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.