Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:38 pm

I was approved for the Hyatt visa after a recon with call. The only question I was asked was to verify my address. This was my 4th card in the past 6 months.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:42 am
eh9

The Wiki says
"If you still have your old card of the same type, you're ineligible."

So a no fee Chase Sapphire would need to be closed before I can apply for the CSP...is that considered the same type even though they're different cards?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:43 am

Waiting period

My wife had a Sapphire card from 2011, closed via PM on 3/3/2015, applied for a new one a few hours later. Reject letter in mail noting open card received on 3/10/2015. Sent PM stating that open card was closed, and was closed at time of application. Approved today.

So the waiting period is between 3 hours and 1 week. Better, it is a denial that can be overcome without actually calling anyone!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Pure speculation, but business card apps may have a better chance if you visit a branch, especially if you have other Chase bank accounts. Worth a try, at least.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rxgeek
Pure speculation, but business card apps may have a better chance if you visit a branch, especially if you have other Chase bank accounts. Worth a try, at least.
Tried that for my DW's app for an Ink, at a branch where we both have accounts. Bank CSR said it would have to be processed by the same people who do it online, and since it was Sat no one would be available to do that until Mon. Called in on Mon, and got denied for too many new accounts. Offer to move CL had no effect. Some implication that she was not dong enough spend on her personal Chase cards. We're upping the monthly spend on them, and will try again in a few months.

AFAIK, applying in a branch had no effect either way.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Tried that for my DW's app for an Ink, at a branch where we both have accounts. Bank CSR said it would have to be processed by the same people who do it online, and since it was Sat no one would be available to do that until Mon. Called in on Mon, and got denied for too many new accounts. Offer to move CL had no effect. Some implication that she was not dong enough spend on her personal Chase cards. We're upping the monthly spend on them, and will try again in a few months.

AFAIK, applying in a branch had no effect either way.
Applying in branch had no effect either way for me either.

Did you get denied for too many new Chase accounts or new accounts in general?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Seems like the Chase approval process has become a little more difficult recently. We’ve seen reports of business card application reconsiderations meeting with highly invasive interrogations, I had that experience a few months ago. Now I’m having a new experience with a personal card application done on-line 2 weeks ago for which I received a “… further review … may take up to 30 days …” response. I’ve had that experience in the past but upon calling a reconsideration line have always been able to move credit or close a card and get approved during that phone call. This time I’ve called a reconsideration line twice and been told each time that it’s still pending and they cannot look at it or expedite the decision, they’ll let me know when they let me know. (No recent significant changes to my credit history, rating over 800, blah, blah, blah.) Perhaps personal card application reconsiderations are going the way of business card application reconsiderations? I’m curious if others have had similar experiences recently and if this should be cause for concern. Thanks.
FWIW. 2 weeks after the above mentioned application and 2 days after my post here, I received an email notifying me my new card would be arriving soon and I could also see the new account on-line. Months ago, I had followed the conventional wisdom advocated here and lowered the combined total credit limit on my other 3 Chase cards to the recommended level. Interesting that this new card was approved with a very high credit limit which would put my total Chase credit limit far above what’s recommended here for new approvals. Seems that Chase has one total limit which they are happy to extend to customers but then look at things a little differently when considering a new account.

BTW, we’ve read many reports of recon calls resulting in approvals when the customer offers to move available credit from an existing account and reports where a Chase rep hints at that possibility (“you have a lot of available credit with us” or “you have many open accounts with us”). Curious if anyone has ever received communication from Chase whereby THEY specifically initiate the idea of moving available credit. (“We can approve this application only if you close your XYZ account or move some available credit from your XYZ account.”) Perhaps they are not allowed to suggest that sort of thing?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:33 am
umc

Originally Posted by mattrendell27
Hi,

I need some advice for a recon call. My wife got denied on two apps, 1 for a Chase Ink Plus and 1 for a Chase Southwest Business Premier. One denial reason was for "too many open accounts with us" and the other for "business too new" and both reps said they need to see a longer business history. My wife has been a self employed graphic designer for two years making a profit both years. I've seen lots of data points that show that you don't need a long business history at all (many people report being approved while they are still establishing the business and have no income at all). I offered to move credit lines over from her personal cards (CSP and Freedom) but they were not interested in doing that at all. Am I just having bad luck and getting unhelpful CSR's? Is there anything anyone can suggest I say to have a more successful recon call?
I think two business applications for your wife at the same time is a bit of a stretch. Very few people get approved for both business cards from the same bank at the same time. You may ask if Chase is willing to give you one business card out of the 2 applications. Give them good reasons as to why they should approve you for one card. Many FTs already gave you good advice above. Good luck.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:52 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Curious if anyone has ever received communication from Chase whereby THEY specifically initiate the idea of moving available credit. (“We can approve this application only if you close your XYZ account or move some available credit from your XYZ account.”) Perhaps they are not allowed to suggest that sort of thing?
They are allowed to make that suggestion. I have received such a call, though not recently. It happened shortly after the financial meltdown. A Chase rep telephoned me and said they would approve my application (I think it was for an Explorer Card) but they needed to move $5k CL to it from another account. They asked me which account to draw from.

Another time, I was approved for a new card and Chase unilaterally pulled CL from another account to fund that new CL. They informed me of the change, but didn't ask me about it beforehand.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by michael_v
Did you get denied for too many new Chase accounts or new accounts in general?
The Rep mentioned her "13 new accounts in the past 12 months". I contained myself, and didn't say "yes, but 8 of them were for AA Exec cards which were all canceled in less than a month".

I know Citi goes strictly by HPs in 6 months, so I was surprised to hear someone say "in the last 12 months". Maybe they look back longer when doing a Bus app? 13 in a year didn't seem that much to me, I've done that many in 6 months before. Since I knew she had fewer HPs than me, it didn't occur to me that would be a problem.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by RNE
They are allowed to make that suggestion. I have received such a call, though not recently. It happened shortly after the financial meltdown. A Chase rep telephoned me and said they would approve my application (I think it was for an Explorer Card) but they needed to move $5k CL to it from another account. They asked me which account to draw from.

Another time, I was approved for a new card and Chase unilaterally pulled CL from another account to fund that new CL. They informed me of the change, but didn't ask me about it beforehand.
Yes, I've also had reps on recon calls bring up the idea of shifting credit lines. Other times I've been the one to bring it up.

Fortunately I've never had a bank lower the credit line of an account without advance notice. That's a crappy move as it can result in someone ending up with a very high credit usage to limit ratio on the account, which hurts credit score, at least temporarily.

The Honeymoon Guy

Last edited by meecal; Mar 15, 2015 at 10:41 am
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
RE: SLATE. Transfer CL, put in sock drawer/moth balls?

Open Chase cards I have:

Freedom
Marriott
Slate
United

Ok, so I just paid off my Slate, having used the BT feature with the 0% APR to its completion of 15 months.

CL is $26K, would like to churn it over to another travel card.

I won't close it. The history is beneficial.

I've never had a Hyatt. Is it easy to obtain? Or Sapphire? $4K is a high minimum threshhold but are the benefits really that great?

I have a dormant Marriott Rewards Visa. Have enough points to get two hotel night stays but if I close the MR Visa, will I qualify for the free internet without the Silver status I would lose?

Recently closed my WN RR Premier. Is it true I can go for another bonus of RRs with another TYPE of WN RR Visa if I apply? That would be great as I need an infusion of RR points as summer approaches.

What other ideas? Appreciate polite advice. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jan_believes; Mar 16, 2015 at 6:23 am
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: HHonors: Gold Hyatt: Platinum
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a Slate and Freedom card. I would like to convert my slate to a Freedom and the Freedom to CSP. Is that possible? If so, would they do a hard pull if I didn't want a CL increase? I also have the Hyatt and Marriott cards from them.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:58 pm

Why would you wanna do that? Just apply for the CSP and get the sign-up bonus.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by jan_believes
Open Chase cards I have:

Freedom
Marriott
Slate
United

Ok, so I just paid off my Slate, having used the BT feature with the 0% APR to its completion of 15 months.

CL is $26K, would like to churn it over to another travel card.

I won't close it. The history is beneficial.

I've never had a Hyatt. Is it easy to obtain? Or Sapphire? $4K is a high minimum threshhold but are the benefits really that great?

I have a dormant Marriott Rewards Visa. Have enough points to get two hotel night stays but if I close the MR Visa, will I qualify for the free internet without the Silver status I would lose?

Recently closed my WN RR Premier. Is it true I can go for another bonus of RRs with another TYPE of WN RR Visa if I apply? That would be great as I need an infusion of RR points as summer approaches.

What other ideas? Appreciate polite advice. Thanks in advance.
Cannot answer all your questions but the Hyatt card is no tougher to get than other personal Chase cards. Just apply and call them to explain why you want the card if you don't get auto-approved. If you have been spending $ with Chase cards, they will like you and want to approve. Maybe have to shift some credit around but that is no big deal. No reason not to try, 2 free nights in any Hyatt is definitely worth a hard pull.

Originally Posted by Taco Island
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a Slate and Freedom card. I would like to convert my slate to a Freedom and the Freedom to CSP. Is that possible? If so, would they do a hard pull if I didn't want a CL increase? I also have the Hyatt and Marriott cards from them.
Originally Posted by mikex163
Why would you wanna do that? Just apply for the CSP and get the sign-up bonus.
Apply for the CSP and enjoy your sign-up bonus, the hard pull is well worth it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.