Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by RNE
  • Credit reviews are good for consumers because if they cannot pass them then maybe they shouldn't get another credit card, hmm?
  • What matters is approval. Instant approval is vainglorious.
  • Systematically manipulating credit lines with the intent to influence the automated approval system makes a good excuse for Chase to lower the boom.
Originally Posted by Brugge
It's hard to say one is better or worse than the other since they both have tradeoffs which are weighed differently by people. If your intention is to get IAs, then lowering CLs works. That much we do know. Your decision to get a credit review or not are personal and should be made on a case-by-case basis.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by starbuk
It's hard to say one is better or worse than the other since they both have tradeoffs which are weighed differently by people. If your intention is to get IAs, then lowering CLs works. That much we do know. Your decision to get a credit review or not are personal and should be made on a case-by-case basis.
Sure, there are lots of reasons you want a CSR looking closely into your credit file, searching for a reason to at least deny your app, or possibly closing down all of your accounts with them.

I'm thinking those the are the same personal reasons you would want to ask the IRS to do an audit of your tax returns every year, making you bring in all of your records, and going over them line by line, so you that you can be sure you did your return correctly.

Sorry, bud, most of your posts are spot on, but with this one I just have no idea what you are thinking.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:41 am

So you're telling me that if you have $2000 outstanding across all cards and $55000 in CL or 3.6% utilization but goes to $2000 out of $50000 or 4% utilization your score goes down.. that's a stretch and you know it. Especially considering you can control how much is reported to the Bureaus by paying down before statement closes.

If all the balance is on the same card and the CL of that card is low, then maybe. But that is a much more nuanced argument and if you are doing that you probably shouldn't be flipping cards anyhow.

Either way we are talking about a few points here, give or take. Makes no difference to approvals especially if you know your FICO inside and out.

*Team Lower CL*
Yes. It may not be a lot, but will affect your FICO score. Going from $100 reporting to $2 reporting on just one card will usually boost your FICO.

But back you your assertion that "additional credit does NOT increase your FICO score." That is simply false if the utilization rate varies.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Certitude: Lowering your CL by 50% will lower your FICO.
Possibility: You get approval a day or so earlier.

That bargain doesn't make sense to me.
False. Once you have a certain amount of credit available from credit cards, additional credit does NOT increase your FICO score. So reducing you CL does not lower you FICO if you are above this number. My guess is if you have something like $50k+ in credit card CLs available, it makes no difference if you lower you CL.
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Yes. It may not be a lot, but will affect your FICO score. Going from $100 reporting to $2 reporting on just one card will usually boost your FICO.

But back you your assertion that "additional credit does NOT increase your FICO score." That is simply false if the utilization rate varies.
...and only false if you bring another argument/aspect of the model into it. Credit limit alone does not increase your FICO because it often gets "maxed out". If you start talking about utilization scores then yes, maybe, but not always.

And so you don't take my comment out of context (again) I said it was false to say with CERTITUDE that lowering your credit limit lowers your FICO which IS false. Should we keep going with this or are you finished?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:57 am

...and only false if you bring another argument/aspect of the model into it. Credit limit alone does not increase your FICO because it often gets "maxed out". If you start talking about utilization scores then yes, maybe, but not always.

And so you don't take my comment out of context (again) I said it was false to say with CERTITUDE that lowering your credit limit lowers your FICO which IS false. Should we keep going with this or are you finished?
That other aspect, utilization, is tied to credit limits. They don't exist in isolation. In the real world, lowering credit limits lowers FICO scores.

Let's put it another way. Has anyone here ever reduced credit limits, and then precisely reduced balances so that utilization remained exactly constant? Anyone?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
That other aspect, utilization, is tied to credit limits. They don't exist in isolation. In the real world, lowering credit limits lowers FICO scores.

Let's put it another way. Has anyone here ever reduced credit limits, and then precisely reduced balances so that utilization remained exactly constant? Anyone?
You're still taking out of context that I said it was false to assume that lower CL = lower FICO. This is in fact not a true statement because the counterpoint is that getting higher and higher credit limits will always increase your FICO and this is not true.

I lower my CLs all the time and ignore utilization and nothing changes for me whatsoever. The question you should be asking is are there people who would lower CL to gain instant approval that would let their utilization drift to levels that cause them to not get approved.. that answer is no in 99% of cases.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:44 am
RNE

On the contrary, we don't "know" it works. Nor do we know its risks. All we have are anecdotes and guesswork. Not much is it? And all for what? Instant approval vs. approval tomorrow? Pshaw! I'm not going to structure my credit limits for that.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by RNE
  • Credit reviews are good for consumers because if they cannot pass them then maybe they shouldn't get another credit card, hmm?
  • What matters is approval. Instant approval is vainglorious.
  • Systematically manipulating credit lines with the intent to influence the automated approval system makes a good excuse for Chase to lower the boom.
Maybe your beliefs about what is good for me are completely irrelevant to anybody except you xxxx

Instant approval is less effort for me, which is a benefit.

Last edited by philemer; Mar 31, 2015 at 3:31 pm Reason: personal attack/insult removed. Please review Guidelines/Rules
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

You are the one bringing another aspect into the argument. Credit limit alone increases my FICO because it decreases my utilization. Your belief about "often gets 'maxed out'" is just that, your belief. My spending (hence utilization) has never been affected by my credit limits.

Similarly, lowering my limit would lower my FICO (except in the case where I have utilization at $0).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
You are the one bringing another aspect into the argument. Credit limit alone increases my FICO because it decreases my utilization. Your belief about "often gets 'maxed out'" is just that, your belief. My spending (hence utilization) has never been affected by my credit limits.

Similarly, lowering my limit would lower my FICO (except in the case where I have utilization at $0).
Maybe you two can take this useless argument to PM, and spare the rest of us having to scroll thru it.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
Did I cost myself the IHG card bonus?

I applied for the IHG through the 70k offer link in the wiki. I applied in the early A.M. hours on March 31 (today), the last day of the offer. I assume my total Chase CL is maxed, and as expected, I got "pending." So I called the recon line this afternoon. The CS rep told me everything looks good for my application and he would "recommend their approval of my application with a 10k CL." I told him I didn't need such high CLs on my other cards, and if that's part of the reason I was "pending" I would gladly lower one of those cards' CLs. He told me that they are able to extend additional credit to me at this time, and repeated that he would recommend approval. When I asked how I would be notified he said it would come in the mail, or I could call before end of business on Thursday to get an answer.

So I guess I have two questions:

1) In this type of scenario, is it a matter of some slightly-higher-up rubber stamping the approval (like the CS rep made it seem), or am I not out of the woods yet?

2) Since the 70k promotion ends in 13 minutes, will I lose the bonus offer if my application is still in process tomorrow morning?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by valuetactics
...So I guess I have two questions:

1) In this type of scenario, is it a matter of some slightly-higher-up rubber stamping the approval (like the CS rep made it seem), or am I not out of the woods yet?

2) Since the 70k promotion ends in 13 minutes, will I lose the bonus offer if my application is still in process tomorrow morning?
Don't know about #1, but the offer has been extended, so you now have plenty of time.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:16 pm

Hi everyone, I haven't been able to find the answer to this question either in the wiki or anywhere else, but is it possible and/or a good strategy to apply for a higher card, and if denied, then try to shoot for a lower version during that same recon call? Does it work that way, or do you absolutely have to take 2 different applications/pulls?

For example, try to apply for a Chase Ink Plus, and if rejected, ask for an Ink Cash during the reconsideration call instead?

After recently filing my taxes, I realized that I really need a better way to manage and organize my business expenses, so getting at least one of the Chase business cards is my #1 priority for that reason. The Ink Plus would be nice, but the extra sign up bonus/benefits aren't important enough for me to jeopardize my chances if I'm only allowed to apply for 1 card at a time. Also, limiting the number of hard pulls on my report would be nice as well, so is it possible to apply for a higher card, and then try and "settle" for a lower card in one application?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 11:09 am

Anyone see Chase pull from 2 bureaus? I'm seeing both equifax and experian pulls from Chase...
Old Apr 4, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA,UA,WN,AA,UR,IHG Spire,Hyatt Diamond,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exarkun
Anyone see Chase pull from 2 bureaus? I'm seeing both equifax and experian pulls from Chase...
Yes, for sure. North Carolina data point: CSP last September and IHG earlier this month. Two HPs...Experian and Equifax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.