Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by V6Jeep4x4
Whoa, Kind of Ballsy... I probably would have stuck with just one card to work myself back in good graces but if it worked (and you've received the cards and have been able to use them) Congrats
Recieved cards and met minimum spend on both. Transfered 15,000 points from Freedom to CSP and then moved 67,000 points out of Chase.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
SM Chase to match the 80k offer.
I actually did that earlier today but haven't received a reply yet. Thank you though! ^
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
SM Chase to match the 80k offer.
I have had the IHG card for 3 years now, can I close it and apply the next day to get the bonus? Or should I wait for a few days?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bobby21
I have had the IHG card for 3 years now, can I close it and apply the next day to get the bonus? Or should I wait for a few days?
Yes, in theory you can. The question is, how long does it take the Citi computers in the various departments to know that your account is closed? I don't know the answer to that, and I'm not sure there are enough data points at FT for anyone to know. I'd close it and wait a few weeks. Once you get it, you are going to have to wait 2 years to get another one, so waiting a few weeks isn't such a terrible thing to have to do to make sure you get the card.

Then again, maybe someone does have data points on this?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:28 pm
RNE

Chase may look askance at that and deny your application, which'll render your bonus moot. That said, if you do it, please let us know the result.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forgot which thread I have read that a person applied the CSP for his wife on the same day right after the old CSP was canceled (the old CSP was almost 3 years old). A week later she got a denial about her had an existing CSP. They SMed back informing Chase the old CSP was canceled at the time of application. The new CSP was approved and bonus received.

However, to avoid this scenario, I would give it a couple weeks after closing the card to just let all systems come in sync to show the card is indeed cancel.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Chase may look askance at that and deny your application, which'll render your bonus moot.
Another brilliant response from RNE. The hits just keep on coming.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Happy
I would give it a couple weeks after closing the card to just let all systems come in sync to show the card is indeed canceled.
^
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:37 pm

Is there a way to figure out when your first statement will cut?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:15 pm

I recently cancelled a Southwest card in anticipation of churning. It's been 3 years since I earned the bonus. Chase rep explicitly told me that it was 2 years form the CLOSURE OF THE ACCOUNT before I could earn another bonus. I challenged and he was adamant. I closed and then looked online to find the current offer still has the 2 years from bonus award criterion. Anyone else run into this? Was he just wrong?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by lovem
I recently cancelled a Southwest card in anticipation of churning. It's been 3 years since I earned the bonus. Chase rep explicitly told me that it was 2 years form the CLOSURE OF THE ACCOUNT before I could earn another bonus. I challenged and he was adamant. I closed and then looked online to find the current offer still has the 2 years from bonus award criterion. Anyone else run into this? Was he just wrong?
Totally, incredibly, unbelievably wrong.

Do you know what HUCA means?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by David_
Is there a way to figure out when your first statement will cut?
you can either SM or use the phone menu. The date on the online account for the first statement is a moving target and never means anything. However the rep can see from the internal system what date it is. Also the robot phone knows it too as the info is pulled from the internal system.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
you can either SM or use the phone menu. The date on the online account for the first statement is a moving target and never means anything. However the rep can see from the internal system what date it is. Also the robot phone knows it too as the info is pulled from the internal system.
Thanks! I was able to get the info from the automated phone menu.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
"needlessly giving away...credit cards"? Who said anything about "needlessly giving away credit cards"? What I actually said is an auto approval lessens the likelihood of a CSR denying your app based on something they see in your credit history that the computer might not be programmed to look for. And I'm not "giving away credit lines" because when you lower your CL before an app, the bank typically gives you an increased credit line on your new card. Before I lowered my Citi and Chase CLs, I would get maybe a max of $5K on a new card with them. Now having lowered my CLs, my CL on new cards is averaging $15K.

So I'm not actually giving anything away. What I am doing is lowering my Credit Utilization score. If you get a $5K CL on a card with a $5K min spnd, and do that full spend the first month, your CU is 100%. But if you get a CL of $15K, and spend $5K right away, your CU is only 33%.

Finally "phone boy"?
I haven't been following Chase lately so I have been reading through the posts.
I had always thought that having high credit limits were good to have and whenever I closed an account I always moved the c/l to an existing open account. I now see the advise is to lower your c/l's in order to get instant approval, which I haven't been getting as I have hit the maximum they will extend me. My question, Brugge, is won't my credit score take a hit with a higher utilization ratio if I don't apply for a new card right away?
Isn't the utilization ratio a very impt factor in a fico score.
Is the trick to pay off a big expense before the statement cuts which I have done in the past anyway?
I have a high credit score and am concerned it will take a big hit .
Tia for your time,
Felicity

Last edited by felicity5; Apr 18, 2015 at 6:47 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by felicity5
I haven't been following Chase lately so I have been reading through the posts.
I had always thought that having high credit limits were good to have and whenever I closed an account I always moved the c/l to an existing open account. I now see the advise is to lower your c/l's in order to get instant approval, which I haven't been getting as I have hit the maximum they will extend me. My question, Brugge, is won't my credit score take a hit with a higher utilization ratio if I don't apply for a new card right away?
Isn't the utilization ratio a very impt factor in a fico score.
Is the trick to pay off a big expense before the statement cuts which I have done in the past anyway?
I have a high credit score and am concerned it will take a big hit .
Tia for your time,
Felicity
Yes, if you lower your credit line(s) significantly you should make an effort to pay off large balances quickly as opposed to waiting for the due date.

It is just a temporary situation if you are going to be applying for a new card(s). And if you're not, then there's no major reason to lower the CLs.

My experience: I lowered CLs on a bunch of Chase cards, canceled one card that had a $10k CL and then applied for the Chase IHG card. Was instantly approved, with a CL of $30k (and got 3 non-Chase cards in the same AOR)!

So I got the instant approval I coveted and my total CL is right back where it was before, so my debt to credit utilization ratio is also now similar to what it was before. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.