Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by waggles
Brugge-thanks for the great advice! I am in the exact situation that you outlined in the last paragraph. My year 3 fee for the CSP is due next month. I did not even think to cancel it and reapply for another CSP. Does this raise suspicion though? Since I'm essentially canceling/reapplying strictly to get the bonus again? Do you have any tips for what to tell the recon line if I don't get instant approval?

I may also message them to lower my Southwest CL as you're right that I don't need such a high limit on the card.

Many thanks for your detailed response.
Glad to have read your mind.

I wouldn't worry about the close and reapply. Chase has stated they frown on applying, getting the bonus and then quickly canceling. But you didn't do that, you've kept the card for 2 years. And hopefully you've done some spend on it.

Chase has recently changed their rules, and published them. They have let us know we are good to reapply for a card 2 years after we get a bonus for it. No need to feel guilty for doing something well within their official rules.

Just remember, you can't reapply 2 years after your last app, though. You can only apply 2 years after the date Chase gave you the bonus. Which can be a little tricky, since none of us knew to record the date we got that bonus. And the Chase website doesn't go back that far.

I did the obvious, I called the number on the back of my card, and asked the CSR for the date I got the bonus. I'm pretty sure she knew why I was calling, and she pretty clearly didn't want to tell me. She kept saying other things and pretending to not understand my question. I just kept saying I needed to know the date I got that bonus. Finally she got tired of trying to put me off, and gave in and told me the date.

Unless you did the min spnd within the few weeks of when you got the card, there is going to a gap between when you have to cancel the card to avoid paying the AF, and when you are able to reapply. That should be plenty of time in between, it's not like you are canceling one day and reapplying the next. There will be a month or two in between, so even if you do have to call Recon to get approved I'd don't think the CSR is going to question you about it.

Good Luck
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Glad to have read your mind.

I wouldn't worry about the close and reapply. Chase has stated they frown on applying, getting the bonus and then quickly canceling. But you didn't do that, you've kept the card for 2 years. And hopefully you've done some spend on it.

Chase has recently changed their rules, and published them. They have let us know we are good to reapply for a card 2 years after we get a bonus for it. No need to feel guilty for doing something well within their official rules.

Just remember, you can't reapply 2 years after your last app, though. You can only apply 2 years after the date Chase gave you the bonus. Which can be a little tricky, since none of us knew to record the date we got that bonus. And the Chase website doesn't go back that far.

I did the obvious, I called the number on the back of my card, and asked the CSR for the date I got the bonus. I'm pretty sure she knew why I was calling, and she pretty clearly didn't want to tell me. She kept saying other things and pretending to not understand my question. I just kept saying I needed to know the date I got that bonus. Finally she got tired of trying to put me off, and gave in and told me the date.

Unless you did the min spnd within the few weeks of when you got the card, there is going to a gap between when you have to cancel the card to avoid paying the AF, and when you are able to reapply. That should be plenty of time in between, it's not like you are canceling one day and reapplying the next. There will be a month or two in between, so even if you do have to call Recon to get approved I'd don't think the CSR is going to question you about it.

Good Luck

Brugge-thanks again for responding! I found that I received the bonus on my June statement so I will play it safe and wait until July to reapply (maybe I'll get lucky and a 50k bonus offer will come around). I don't really have any use for the card anyway so this will give me a few months without applications.

Anyway, thanks for the advice-have a great weekend.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:30 pm

I may also message them to lower my Southwest CL as you're right that I don't need such a high limit on the card.
You absolutely need to lower your total CL with Chase.

The most likely reason your app in Jan was denied would be that you are at the max CL Chase is willing to give you. If you want to get approved for another CSP I suggest you SM Chase and get your CLs reduced. Don't wait until you are ready to do another app, do it right now so it has time to cycle thru the Chase system.

In the meantime, make sure to put some spend on each Chase card you have open. If you have to call Recon the CSR will certainly look at your recent cards and see if you were putting spend on them. If you have been, they are much more likely to thinks it worthwhile to give you a new sign up bonus. If you haven't, they are more likely to think otherwise.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:34 pm

Brugge-thanks for the great advice! I am in the exact situation that you outlined in the last paragraph. My year 3 fee for the CSP is due next month. I did not even think to cancel it and reapply for another CSP. Does this raise suspicion though? Since I'm essentially canceling/reapplying strictly to get the bonus again? Do you have any tips for what to tell the recon line if I don't get instant approval?

Many thanks for your detailed response.
I do think canceling and reapplying weeks later is risky. See below comment from "Eric Pease" from a post on MMS about canceling and reapplying for a new Southwest card to receive a bonus.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/0...down/#comments

Eric Pease | January 6, 2015 at 12:24 am |
I had 2 Southwest Cards for about 18 months, a Hyatt card for 12 months and a Chase Ink business Plus for about 5 months and a United card for 10 years. Last month, I closed one of the SW personal cards and then was approved for the SW Premier card (different one from the one I closed.)

Chase just shut them all down for “reputational risk.” I didn’t do any manufactured spend at all.

Eric Pease | January 12, 2015 at 11:10 am |
Just an fyi: I complained to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Chase reversed their decision to close 4 of the 5 accounts they said they were shutting me down for “”reputational risk.”

Chase’s response on the CFPB website:

“Relief
We’ve reversed our decision to close your accounts ending in xxxx, xxxx, xxxx and xxxx
After further review, we have reversed our decision to close the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Visa(R) Signature account ending in xxxx, Hyatt VISA Signature account ending in xxxx, Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Visa(R) Business Signature account ending in xxxx, and United MileagePlus VISA Signature account ending in xxxx.

Dispute

We reviewed our records and determined that the Chase INK VISA Signature Business account ending in xxxx will be closed on February 22, 2015, because continuing the relationship creates possible reputational risk for the company. “
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Samson7256
I do think canceling and reapplying weeks later is risky. See below comment from "Eric Pease" from a post on MMS about canceling and reapplying for a new Southwest card to receive a bonus.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/0...down/#comments

Eric Pease | January 6, 2015 at 12:24 am |
I had 2 Southwest Cards for about 18 months, a Hyatt card for 12 months and a Chase Ink business Plus for about 5 months and a United card for 10 years. Last month, I closed one of the SW personal cards and then was approved for the SW Premier card (different one from the one I closed.)

Chase just shut them all down for “reputational risk.” I didn’t do any manufactured spend at all.

Eric Pease | January 12, 2015 at 11:10 am |
Just an fyi: I complained to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and Chase reversed their decision to close 4 of the 5 accounts they said they were shutting me down for “”reputational risk.”

Chase’s response on the CFPB website:

“Relief
We’ve reversed our decision to close your accounts ending in xxxx, xxxx, xxxx and xxxx
After further review, we have reversed our decision to close the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Visa(R) Signature account ending in xxxx, Hyatt VISA Signature account ending in xxxx, Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Visa(R) Business Signature account ending in xxxx, and United MileagePlus VISA Signature account ending in xxxx.

Dispute

We reviewed our records and determined that the Chase INK VISA Signature Business account ending in xxxx will be closed on February 22, 2015, because continuing the relationship creates possible reputational risk for the company. “
He was closed down for "failure to do any manufactured spend at all". Of course....

Anyone who reads MMS, and doesn't do "any manufactured spend at all" is clearly suspect. What is he up to"?

Do MS, seem normal people, don't look weird, even if the slogan is "keep Austin (or Portland) weird".
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:55 am

Quick Chase Sapphire Preferred SignUp Bonus Question

I currently have the Chase Freedom and Chase Amtrak card. Does having those cards still make me eligible for the spend $4k/40,000 bonus miles within first 3 months offer? If I am reading the terms correctly, it looks like I am. Seems if you already have any existing Sapphire card you are not eligible.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:05 am

You can still get the bonus. Other Chase cards do not matter. Hope that helps!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:09 pm

Applied 2 in a day: Southwest and Hyatt. Southwest got approved with a nice CL while had to call for Hyatt and the CSR asked me to move around some credit from my other cards(already had a few). Looks like I was pushing my 60K limit. Got approved. Hoping it turns out to be a single hard pull. The apps were within 30 mins of each other.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by JustAnotherGuy001
Applied 2 in a day: Southwest and Hyatt. Southwest got approved with a nice CL while had to call for Hyatt and the CSR asked me to move around some credit from my other cards(already had a few). Looks like I was pushing my 60K limit. Got approved. Hoping it turns out to be a single hard pull. The apps were within 30 mins of each other.
If you want a decent chance of an instant approval, $60K is much too high. Unless you have massive business spend, or are perhaps a Billionaire with huge personal expenses, I'd think a total of $30K with Chase should be plenty.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:31 am
mx9

Had a question about targeted offers and referrals for Chase:

Assuming the same signup bonus, does it matter if you apply through a public link vs a referral vs a targeted offer? Does using the offer/referral code give you a better chance of approval?

Thanks for any guidance.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
But of course, OP only applied for 2 cards from Chase, and even at that, one was personal and one was business. The last previous app was 9 months ago, so no problem there.

The word lately is that Chase is getting much more difficult to get bus apps approved than it used to be. Hopefully you have been doing some regular spend on that United card, since unlike Citi Chase takes notice if you've been spending on the cards you already have when you apply for more.

In any case, you should call the Bus Recon line, and talk with them. It's easier to talk someone into approving an app than it is to talk them into overturning a denial once it happens.
Thanks Brugge, calling worked out for my wife's apps but not me on the business one but for good reason.

One other thing, I used my new SPG to load RB/RC..whatever you want to call it...one 1k transaction and a subsequent 900...a little to eager clearly. Set up alerts before I swiped for texts. First went through, second was declined. Have a voicemail from AMEX asking that I return their call. Any idea what they'll ask, what to expect or how I should respond?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mx9
Had a question about targeted offers and referrals for Chase:

Assuming the same signup bonus, does it matter if you apply through a public link vs a referral vs a targeted offer? Does using the offer/referral code give you a better chance of approval?
No. Banks look at you & your credit worthiness not links.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:40 pm

Just applied for Chase IHG, received "under review" message... What should I do?

Right now with Chase I have the Amazon Rewards Visa ($5500 CL, 2 years old) and Slate Visa ($7500, 7 months old). No derogs, never missed a payment, AAoA 30 months, 3 inquiries for EQ/EX in the last 2 years. Genuine FICO scores in the 730 neighborhood that I've received through Citi/Barclay, and the Slate dashboard says I have a 725.

I received this message about 10 seconds after applying:

And via email I received this message:

I've read it's best to call a recon number or you'll usually get rejected, but they didn't provide me any number to call here.. What should I do?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cb43
Right now with Chase I have the Amazon Rewards Visa ($5500 CL, 2 years old) and Slate Visa ($7500, 7 months old). No derogs, never missed a payment, AAoA 30 months, 3 inquiries for EQ/EX in the last 2 years. Genuine FICO scores in the 730 neighborhood that I've received through Citi/Barclay, and the Slate dashboard says I have a 725.

I received this message about 10 seconds after applying:

I've read it's best to call a recon number or you'll usually get rejected, but they didn't provide me any number to call here.. What should I do?
Read the wiki at the top of this page. Everything you need is right there.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
I got declined for a marriott card according to an analyst because I tried to open a hyatt card at the same time, which at that point she seemed pretty reluctant to reconsider anything. I did app for both, but not auto approved for either. Is it completely unreasonable to expect approval for 2 cards from chase if not auto-approved?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.