Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AXR64
Applied for Ink Plus last Saturday and the automated message on the app status line says "You will be notified of our decision in 2 weeks".

Is it safe to assume it will be a decline?
Not necessarily.

Got that message when I applied for the Ink Bold in 2013 as well as Ink Plus in 2014. To my surprise, both were approved the following week.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by hightide
Not necessarily.

Got that message when I applied for the Ink Bold in 2013 as well as Ink Plus in 2014. To my surprise, both were approved the following week.
Thanks for the info. Did you have to call recon for approval?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:11 pm

Does anyone know the contact phone # for Chase Business Reconsider Line? Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX PLAT, Priority Pass, Admirals Club, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I was looking into the Mileage Plus Explorer card and I saw that after I logged into my United Account I was offered the 50,000 mile offer. When I signed into my mom's account though I saw that she was being offered the 30,000 mile offer. I noticed though that if I slightly modified the URL on my mom's offer that the offer I was given would come up. If I modified the URL for her and she applied would she get the 50,000 mile offer or the 30,000 mile offer?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by johnwmaher
I was looking into the Mileage Plus Explorer card and I saw that after I logged into my United Account I was offered the 50,000 mile offer. When I signed into my mom's account though I saw that she was being offered the 30,000 mile offer. I noticed though that if I slightly modified the URL on my mom's offer that the offer I was given would come up. If I modified the URL for her and she applied would she get the 50,000 mile offer or the 30,000 mile offer?
She should be able to get the 50,000 mile offer if when she clicks on the link it says 50,000 miles. There's nothing about an offer being tied to your account, but sometimes if you're not logged in when you send her the 50,000 mile offer it will automatically redirect her to a 30,000 mile offer so you have to be careful. The only way around it is to have her sign up with the 50k offer while logged in to your united account to make sure that doesn't happen
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beltway
It doesn't matter that closed accounts are still visible. What matters a lot, though, is that having the card closed for 12 months does not make you eligible for a successful churn. See the wiki for details.
Aw, geez. I see. Not sure why I was thinking 12 months was the magic number/strategy.

Question: Are the Southwest Premier and Plus considered different "enough" to allow another bonus? For ex, I had the Premier (now canceled); if I get the Plus, will I be able to get bonus?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Aw, geez. I see. Not sure why I was thinking 12 months was the magic number/strategy.

Question: Are the Southwest Premier and Plus considered different "enough" to allow another bonus? For ex, I had the Premier (now canceled); if I get the Plus, will I be able to get bonus?
Yup. Completely different products
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AXR64
Thanks for the info. Did you have to call recon for approval?
Didn't call for both cases.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:00 am

I can report success in lowering CL from about 60K to 25K and getting approval on Hyatt card. Not instant, got notify in two weeks message on recorded line, but approved after 5 days. Did not call recon.

Have been pretty heavy churner on Chase and others for about 6 years. Last year first ever denial for a Chase card, CSR mentioned both number of accounts opened (about 6 in previous year) as well as "total exposure" of credit line. They would not budge.

This year have about 6 new accounts again on non-Chase products but got Hyatt approval with $35000 CL, I think my highest ever from Chase.

So will probably reduce CL on the Hyatt once I get it and apply for another Chase card later.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 am
formerly mattrendell27

Chase business reconsideration ideas

Hi,

I need some advice for a recon call. My wife got denied on two apps, 1 for a Chase Ink Plus and 1 for a Chase Southwest Business Premier. One denial reason was for "too many open accounts with us" and the other for "business too new" and both reps said they need to see a longer business history. My wife has been a self employed graphic designer for two years making a profit both years. I've seen lots of data points that show that you don't need a long business history at all (many people report being approved while they are still establishing the business and have no income at all). I offered to move credit lines over from her personal cards (CSP and Freedom) but they were not interested in doing that at all. Am I just having bad luck and getting unhelpful CSR's? Is there anything anyone can suggest I say to have a more successful recon call?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:05 pm

After doing some research, and after being denied a Chase MileagePlus Explorer Business Card, I called the reconsideration line. The first gal who answered sounded like she had a bad attitude before I even said one word, so I disconnected and tried again later. The next time was a guy chewing food, but I gave it a shot anyhow. I explained that I have multiple Chase cards (including a MileagePlus -non-biz - card), but that my credit was excellent, I pay my balances off every month, and I have a lot of traveling coming up. He seemed put off and moderately hostile throughout the call even though I was being super nice. He thoroughly questioned my business, why I want this new card, what traveling has to do with getting this card (LOL!), what business expenses I had, etc. Then he put me on hold telling me he had to go visit with a manager. When he came back he told me he would send it to management for consideration and I would hear back in 24-48 hrs. It sounded from his tone like: A) I was lying to him; B) I don't have a legitimate business; C) why was I wasting his time with this nonsense, etc. Considering how long I have been an excellent customer of Chase, this really made me laugh, but I didn't let it show. I think I have a one in five chance of being approved but we will see. Either way I will be fine - but it's the principle of the thing, know what I mean? Best advice, keep trying and being polite. Maybe in the end karma works that way.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:13 pm

The Chase Business reconsideration line is: 800-453-9719.

I have spoken to a couple of relatively hostile folks at that number trying to get a reconsideration for a Chase MileagePlus Business card...even with my superior credit and long history with them (with a few new accounts with them as well). One guy even said he didn't think I had a legitimate business, LOL! I about swallowed my doughnut on that one. Some moron in a call center telling ME that I don't have a legitimate business. I mean, I will be fine with or without this card, but the audacity of that guy! LOL! Anyhow, stay polite and hope for the best. Chase is rapidly going down hill from my perspective though. I think I will take my spending elsewhere once I figure out a better home for all of my spending.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
"If I don't have a legitimate business, are you offering to cover my federal income taxes from that business?"
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by mattrendell27
Hi,

I need some advice for a recon call. My wife got denied on two apps, 1 for a Chase Ink Plus and 1 for a Chase Southwest Business Premier. One denial reason was for "too many open accounts with us" and the other for "business too new" and both reps said they need to see a longer business history. My wife has been a self employed graphic designer for two years making a profit both years. I've seen lots of data points that show that you don't need a long business history at all (many people report being approved while they are still establishing the business and have no income at all). I offered to move credit lines over from her personal cards (CSP and Freedom) but they were not interested in doing that at all. Am I just having bad luck and getting unhelpful CSR's? Is there anything anyone can suggest I say to have a more successful recon call?
Is she applying with an EIN or as a sole proprietorship? Most on here are SP which are easier to get approval for than an EIN business. Basically what you have to do is change the conversation. If they say you have too many open accounts, say well I need these accounts to separate spending because I have a big project coming up or something to that effect. Then offer to close another account in exchange for the new one, but always give a reason BEFORE offering to transfer credit or close accounts. If they say that they need a longer history (which you know is not true) change the convo by saying you have been in business for many years just operating under this entity for two, and you actually have years of experience. On top of that you are changing over your business spending from AMEX/Citi/BofA because you like Chase's systems better and that is why you need the card. Always give a reason as to why you need the card and then keep trying other things that show you need it. You will be surprised how often you say something like my spend is low but I have lots of expenses coming up and need a card that does not charge FX fees and all of a sudden, BAM they enter things into computer and suddenly you are approved. Second lesson here is to keep calling back. 3 or 4 times is when you can call it quits. Learn from your calls and always build on them (they see notes) so follow up and say hey my last rep didn't understand this piece of info or I want to add some more color to info I gave earlier.. so it makes sense why you are calling back. If they didn't like short history last call, have a reply for your next call. If they didn't like your low revenue last call, have a reply for how that is expected to change or why it was artificially low or what makes up for that low income (equity in your home, equity in the business, business cash in the bank, contracts with customers, et cetera). Don't give up and approach the problem from different fronts if you are getting pushback on one topic and as soon as you realize that them saying NO means nothing, you will have better luck.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Glock10mm
After doing some research, and after being denied a Chase MileagePlus Explorer Business Card, I called the reconsideration line. The first gal who answered sounded like she had a bad attitude before I even said one word, so I disconnected and tried again later. The next time was a guy chewing food, but I gave it a shot anyhow. I explained that I have multiple Chase cards (including a MileagePlus -non-biz - card), but that my credit was excellent, I pay my balances off every month, and I have a lot of traveling coming up. He seemed put off and moderately hostile throughout the call even though I was being super nice. He thoroughly questioned my business, why I want this new card, what traveling has to do with getting this card (LOL!), what business expenses I had, etc. Then he put me on hold telling me he had to go visit with a manager. When he came back he told me he would send it to management for consideration and I would hear back in 24-48 hrs. It sounded from his tone like: A) I was lying to him; B) I don't have a legitimate business; C) why was I wasting his time with this nonsense, etc. Considering how long I have been an excellent customer of Chase, this really made me laugh, but I didn't let it show. I think I have a one in five chance of being approved but we will see. Either way I will be fine - but it's the principle of the thing, know what I mean? Best advice, keep trying and being polite. Maybe in the end karma works that way.
My wife with a legitimate business (6 months old, with increasing income) was recently turned down for a Ink card. CSR cited 13 new (personal) accounts opened in the last 12 months. I got on the line, and pointed out that her credit utilization is less than one percent, and the business expenses that Ink gives spending bonuses on would really be of value to her. He said Chase needs to see a longer payment history before approving her. She has had personal Chase cards for several years, and her payment history is flawless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.