Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Capital One points transfer security delay issues.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital One points transfer security delay issues.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2023, 7:58 pm

Programs: RAM Gold, UA PLT, NEXUS.
Same situation. Transferred 7,500 miles to Aeroplan. Went through OK immediately. Then transferred 15,000 points to book another ticket after about 30 mins. Points didn't show up. No email from C1. Called C1 and they said everything is fine. Called Aeroplan and they said they haven't received anything. Only 1 seat remaining for redemption. Hoping that points will show up soon or I will have to pay a crazy amount for a 1 hour flight from Amman to Cairo.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WindwalkerAlex
Same situation. Transferred 7,500 miles to Aeroplan. Went through OK immediately. Then transferred 15,000 points to book another ticket after about 30 mins. Points didn't show up. No email from C1. Called C1 and they said everything is fine. Called Aeroplan and they said they haven't received anything. Only 1 seat remaining for redemption. Hoping that points will show up soon or I will have to pay a crazy amount for a 1 hour flight from Amman to Cairo.
I would've thought 15k isn't a large enough transfer to warrant a delay..... Sorry!!
Old Jun 23, 2023, 7:47 am

I'd assume it's the back-to-back nature of the transfers.

What was the end result of this?
mia likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 1:03 pm

Another experience CapitalOne to Flying Blue

Having the same experience. What a nightmare. Transferred 110,000 points from CapitalOne to FlyingBlue on Friday instantly. Got Cap 1 email confirmation at the same time. Went to transfer 326,000 exact same way a few hours later. No Cap 1 confirmation email, website looked like they transfered (they were debited from my account but no status showing pending or successful anywhere), it's now Tuesday afternoon and still nowhere to be found. Cap 1 hours and hours on the phone saying there's no security issue and they cannot do anything until they haven't shown up for 15 days (what a joke). AirFrance tells me this is a common issue with CapitalOne and went as far as to say it doesn't happen frequently with other cards. CapitalOne wants to take no responsibility. They made me open a case and the case manager called right away saying that they're sorry and since on their end the transfer was successful, we just have to wait 15 days. They will either show up in the Flying Blue account or after 15 days I have to call back and then they will investigate putting them back into CapitalOne. Needless to say, never spending another dollar on a CapitalOne card.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I am going to wait another day (since I have the flight on hold until end of day tomorrow) and then transfer in Chase points instantly. If the Cap 1 points end up showing up I at least have 2 years to use them.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 2:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by jmjm1991
.... then transfer in Chase points instantly. ....
Chase has the same types delays.

Example:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35358477-post516.html

Read the last 90 days in both of these threads:

Ultimate Rewards - Airline and Hotel Transfer Partners, Rules, Timelines, (2017 on)

UR to United transfer is not reliably instant.

We know that Capital One transfers are processed by a third party. I do not know if Chase has a similar arrangement, but it would be consistent with their general way of doing business.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Chase has the same types delays.

We know that Capital One transfers are processed by a third party. I do not know if Chase has a similar arrangement, but it would be consistent with their general way of doing business.
how about AMEX to flying blue? Every blog says instant but AMEX says up to 48h. I have points everywhere but I don’t want to transfer multiple times in case the Cap1 shows up in a week. Flight hold expires in a day.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 6:32 pm
mia

Transfers are normally immediate, but please allow up to 48 hours for the transfer to be completed.
I think the 48 hour cushion in to allow for system downtime at either American Express or Flying Blue, such as for system maintenance.

I found one problem report of a rejected transfer from American Express to Flying Blue last December. Begin reading at post 316: MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 4:15 am

Points showed up

Closing the loop on my experience… The 326,000 points finally showed up.

Friday 9AM eastern Transferee 110K capital one to Flying Blue instantly. Got capital one confirmation email at the same time too.

Friday 4PM Transferee 326K, no points in account, no capital one confirmation email. But they were debited

between Friday and Monday many hours with Flying Blue on the phone who said Capital One always has this issue and it’s nothing on their end.

Monday opened a case with Capital one for lost miles (they wouldn’t do it until 48h passed). Told nothing they can do until 15 days have passed

Tueaday spoke to someone at Air France who said that they’d open a case on their end but I think they were making that up because subsequent calls to Air France said they could find a case and that’s not even something that they can do as this is a know capital one issue and nothing Air France can do.

Wednesday 5am I got the capital one success email and the points were in my account.

After much research, I believe it may be due to the back to back nature of my transfers. 2 transfers same day from and to the same account are known to cause these hang ups. DONT DO TEST TRANSFERS or same day transfers. I also have no clue any calls to AF or Cap1 did anything at all or if time was all it needed to work itself out. Luckily Air France can hold award tickets for 72 hours and I was able to extend my hold so I didn’t lose the seats.

GL to all.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 7:22 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Thanks for closing the loop - always helps with DP

DP
I have done more than 1 transfer to AF & VS from Capital One and had no issues with second transfer
Just FYI - may be luck or because the second transfer was smaller than the first ?

Also did more than 1 to Lifemiles - booked 1 ticket then second showed up and booked - or tried to - but this was phantom space

IME, Large transfers get hung up
I did 500k to Emirates in the early stages of my Cap 1 Stash - then did not show up. Used my aeroplan to bok awards
Called Cap1 to cancel transfer - told all transfers were final and can't be reversed - total BS
Kept checking EK acct - no miles
But 3-4 days later the Cap 1 points were back in my account!
useful case of AI fraud detection helping me change my mind.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Sadly, these issue persist. For posterity, I'll document my experience:

1) 9/13/23 10:17pm Eastern: I initiated a transfer of 340,000 Miles from my Venture X Business reward account to Aeroplan. [no email confirmation received]

2) 9/14/23 2:46pm Eastern: I received and answered a call from Capital One Fraud Dept. (800-239-7054) inquiring about potential fraud connected with a recent transfer of miles. Before he could say more (after he confirmed my identity), I confirmed the exact amount of the transfer and the mileage partner. He seemed pretty satisfied that I could do that at the phone number on the account and indicated that he would close the fraud case and the transfer would be processed.

3) 9/14/23 10:56pm Eastern: I called Capital One to inquire about the status of the transfer (as none of the miles appear in my Aeroplan account). 59-minutes of speaking with various Capital One reps leaves me just to wait. It took 37 minutes before any rep (bounced around between Rewards Dept. to Fraud back to Rewards back to Fraud) acknowledged that it wasn't actually processed at the time of (1) above and there was a Fraud case (see (2)) that had been resolved at 2:47pm Eastern.

4) Waiting Game....I'll see how long it take for this to be resolved and plan to continue to document it here. I only hope that the award space remains available for my planned flights!

The saddest part of all of this is that I would have preferred to transfer from my Amex Membership Rewards (as I've done in the past); but, those transfers are apparently not working at the moment.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 20, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: United, Aeroplan, Lifemiles, Virgin
FindAWay Any update? I'm experiencing similar issues. Following your lead, I'll also document.

1) 9/19/23 ~5pm Eastern: I initiated a transfer of 235,000 points from my Venture X account to Aeroplan. No email confirmation received. The points show as deducted from my Capital One account. The points did not show up on my Aeroplan account.

2) 9/20/23 8:42am Eastern: I missed two calls from Capital One Fraud Department (800-239-7054) inquiring about potential fraud connected with a recent transfer of miles.

3) 9/20/23 9:10am Eastern: I called Capital One back to resolve the issue. They requested that I upload my government issued ID which I promptly did while on the phone with their rep. I asked how long it would take for the points to show up on my Aeroplan account and the rep said 1-10 days. I said I needed the points to show up by 5pm today since that's the deadline for holding the award tickets. The rep escalated me to a manager who claimed to be able to expedite the ID verification. However, after about 90 minutes with that manager (most of that time on hold), I still don't see the points reflected in my Aeroplan account. I also still cannot log into my Capital One account. The manager repeated his claim that the fraud issue has been cleared, the points are on their way, and that my account will unlock within one hour.

4) 9/20/23 11:10am Eastern: Point still not arrived on Aeroplan. Still cannot log into my Capital One account. Plan is to call Capital One again in an hour to see if I can get a better representative. If by 4pm the points still haven't arrived, I'll call Aeroplan and see if they can renew the hold on the award tickets for another 24 hours.

This process is ridiculous.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by optikoo
FindAWay Any update? I'm experiencing similar issues.
I will more fully document here when there is meaningful progress. But, so far (despite more long calls with both CapOne and Aeroplan), nothing has posted to my Aeroplan account yet.

The important note is that different Aeroplan reps have said it can take up to 14 days for them to process the points transfer when they receive it. So, I have to wait until 9/28 before either will do more than point the finger at the other.

In the meantime, all of the award flights I was looking to book are no longer available.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: United, Aeroplan, Lifemiles, Virgin
I'm sorry!
Old Sep 26, 2023, 12:25 pm

Ya same thing here, no fraud alert on Cap1 end (even though I do get them 50% of the time)- transferred over 200k miles to Aeroplan and they say up to 14 days even though every blog on the internet says instant. Unfortunately - needed same day flight over to Germany for Oktoberfest and now they will just sit in Aeroplan until I need another flight which I dont often do when Lifemiles has same flights. As a data point, tried transferring 1k points from Amex to Aeroplan and they hit instantly. Seems like a Cap 1 issue to me.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 12:43 pm
mia

Originally Posted by steamboater
.... tried transferring 1k points from Amex to Aeroplan and they hit instantly. Seems like a Cap 1 issue to me.
Several recent reports of delays when transferring from American Express to Aeroplan here:

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.