Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Capital One points transfer security delay issues.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital One points transfer security delay issues.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2023, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Several recent reports of delays when transferring from American Express to Aeroplan here:

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

ok - between cap 1 and aeroplan, im guessing its cap 1 issue even though they blame each other - amex posting to my account instantly was just a side topic.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Sadly, these issue persist. For posterity, I'll document my experience:
Originally Posted by optikoo
FindAWay Any update? I'm experiencing similar issues. Following your lead, I'll also document.
Originally Posted by steamboater
Ya same thing here, ....

As I stated, I'll complete my documentation here. TL;DR: Miles posted to Aeroplan 14 days after initiation on Capital One's website and calling (other than to clear suspected fraud alerts) seems like a waste of time; so, likely best to just wait it out.

1) 9/13/23 10:17pm Eastern: I initiated a transfer of 340,000 Miles from my Venture X Business reward account to Aeroplan. [no email confirmation received]

2) 9/14/23 2:46pm Eastern: I received and answered a call from Capital One Fraud Dept. (800-239-7054) inquiring about potential fraud connected with a recent transfer of miles. Before he could say more (after he confirmed my identity), I confirmed the exact amount of the transfer and the mileage partner. He seemed pretty satisfied that I could do that at the phone number on the account and indicated that he would close the fraud case and the transfer would be processed.

3) 9/14/23 10:56pm Eastern: I called Capital One to inquire about the status of the transfer (as none of the miles appear in my Aeroplan account). 59-minutes of speaking with various Capital One reps leaves me just to wait. It took 37 minutes before any rep (bounced around between Rewards Dept. to Fraud back to Rewards back to Fraud) acknowledged that it wasn't actually processed at the time of (1) above and there was a Fraud case (see (2)) that had been resolved at 2:47pm Eastern.

4) 9/18/23 6:02pm Eastern: I called Air Canada Aeroplan and was told that it can take up to 14 days. Pushed further and connected to support (55-min additional wait) to be told there was noting they could do but wait and maybe it was held-up on Capital One's side.

5) 9/19/23 2:28pm Eastern: I called Capital one and spoke with multiple departments (including Fraud and Rewards) and one agent even (claimed) to call Aeroplan while I was on hold. Was told that on Capital One's side they show as transferred (dubious because Capital One ended up sending an email on Day 14) and that it can take up to 14 calendar days until the miles appear in my account.

6) 9/20/23 award space for my intended booking disappears.

7) 9/26/23 award space for an alternate booking appears (and Aeroplan is the better deal than other *A). Amex transfers have resumed. I transfer INSTANTLY 400,000 Amex Membership Rewards to Aeroplan and book the alternate flights.

8) 9/27/23 8:45am Eastern: I log-in and see no miles have been deposited in my Aeroplan account.

9) 9/27/23 8:53am Eastern: Capital sends an email that 340,000 miles have been moved and my "miles transfer to Aeroplan is all done!". I log-in to Aeroplan to find 340,000 miles that were not there 8 minutes prior!

I think some take-aways are:
A) Clear fraud alerts related to transfers
B) The transfers are not completed until you receive the email (so, my 100+ Air Canada log-ins to see if miles had appeared and my hours of phone calls during the course of the 2-weeks were likely a waste).
Old Oct 11, 2023, 4:01 am

I got a confirmation pop up when I transferred from Capital One to Cathay. Kept waiting for points to appear at Cathay for an award I needed to book ASAP. - NADA

Finally checked into my Capital One account and it was locked, ZERO notification - no email, no phone call NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

Called them. No apology, no nothing, except being treated like a criminal. Had to send my drivers license picture.

Will miss the award now and have a bunch of points trapped at Cathay. . No time line given for resolving. Should have transferred AMEX.

This is the message I got from Capital One when I did my transfer

Complete incompetence.
Takeawy - Capital One points are useless, use AMEX
Transfer AMEX points all of the time - NEVER AN ISSUE

Anyone have any success in stopping a transfer stuck in security fraud hell?

Apparently it will take two weeks and my award will be long gone and I will have thrown away 224,00 points.

Really unbeleivable.

Last edited by mia; Oct 11, 2023 at 7:53 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:18 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Capital One Fraud Detector and mileage transfers

Data points
When Cap 1 first came out with the Venture X card in 2021 we got a bunch of miles and point together in 1 account and tried to get an EK F class award for a family
We tried to send 500k to EK - no mile at the other end.
Called capital One - it will take 2 days
Then got a call from Fraud detect unit - asked for my license etc to be uploaded
In the meantime the seats disappeared, so I ased them to cancel the transfer - sorry - can't be done!
I gave up and transferred Amex to Aeroplan and booked through AC
1 week later, the 500k reappeared in my account!!

Now - 2 yrs and many MANY airline transfers of 100k later - including a 87k to EK a week ago for a C from Eu to DXB - I tried again

Background
My friend flew to India on EY on the 9th - EY 130 got mechanical and she got back at 1 AM
Rather than call me to rebook an award, she chose to get a ticket on EK thinking miles can get upgrades
The outbound was within 6hrs, so upgrades not possible from IAD to DXB, but from DXB to DEL = about 60k was done
At least I thought for the return I could try to get the whole one done = 140k approx to upgrade - outrageous but had to be done
So I tried 200k to EK last night - same account numbers - and did not get the email at once

This am at work I saw an email from Cap 1 - fraud unit asking me to call; I tried login - unable to login - 800 number for fraud
Another upload of license and info - told all ok; but when I log in to EK - no miles and when I tried to log in to Cap1 - still locked
Another call to Fraud and then to Rewards - another agent - tells me it always takes 2 days - lie
Then my account gets locked for too many attempts
Now I am on friend terms with Fraud - finally get it open

Still no miles - I sent another 1k miles as a test from Cap1- no miles
Finally I gave in and used my Amex - 1 stop done
I get 2 miles / $ spend on C1 instead of 1 - but at times you pay the price in aggravation
Old Oct 30, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: United Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Elite
Same issue as everyone else, unfortunately. It seems like even the agents on the phone cannot see the statuses of the transfers, only that they were deducted from our account (duh). So speaking to them is not very helpful (outside of resolving the fraud alerts), as they will at best just create a case but those take 10-14 business days to resolve.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 7:32 pm

Data point:

Capital One transfer to Aeroplan

Did a 62k transfer last week and it was instant.

Then I did a 220k transfer about 36 hours ago on a Sunday, just finally got it now after a bit of stress, but yea it can definitely take more time.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 3:29 pm

TK transfer stuck

Initiated a 270K mile transfer to TK on Friday 10/27, 4 days ago (currently 10/31). Second transfer on this account. Usually it goes through in 24-36 hrs, nothing happened.
On 10/29, I did another test transfer of 1K miles, nothing happened.
10/30 I received a call saying the reward dept flagged my account for fraud alert. I called, cleared up the alerts, but according to CapOne both transfers completed. Nothing on the TK side.
CapOne says wait longer. As it's been 4 days, not sure what "longer" means.
Any ideas of the next step?
Old Oct 31, 2023, 6:26 pm

Getting a processing error when trying to complete a transfer tonight. If this thing damn thing doesn't work on demand, it's essentially worthless. Seriously getting sick and damn tired of the tech errors that programs have in addition to the near zero award inventory we are seeing across the board.

This entire hobby is going to hell in a damn hand basket!
Old Oct 31, 2023, 7:07 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
DP
Sis in law got on plane Sunday - I gave up and sent points from Amex and some Chase and by the time I did the space from DXB to IAD had gone
Luckily the short hop at least was upgraded

The Cap 1 points arrived today - All of them
- now to plan a trip in EK F class to use the up and have some Dom to relieve the stress of it

The whole point of transferable rewards is to keep in a central place until you need it
With Cap1 - you have to risk sending it a few days earlier than you think you need it
Old Oct 31, 2023, 7:16 pm
ffI

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
is C1 the only one this happens with? does going to a branch work?
anyone had this happen with virgin red xfer?
I had the problem with Amex too - I had set myself (AU) account on my sons Amex card - tried to transfer when C1 failed
That failed too - so I thought it was a EK problem - called them - no use
Called Amex Rewards team - told me EK has an issue with more than 1 Amex rewards attached
I stupidly delinked accounts and tried relinking - did not work

Called Amex for manual process - told me they can only manual process when accounts are already linked!
I finally gave up and sent Chase

"Account linkages are subject to the Emirates Skywards® program Terms and Conditions, which may affect the number of times you can link your Rewards Account per calendar year. If you are unable to link your Rewards Account, please contact Emirates for more information."
This shows up in my rewards option under transfer points - the EK option has this disclaimer

When I tried to link the EK account all the steps went through and then I got this!

It looks like something went wrong.
Please double check the following:
  • Your name on both accounts matches exactly
  • You have entered the correct partner loyalty account number
  • If you are linking to a partner account in the name of an Additional Card Member, the Additional Card must have been issued at least 90 days prior to linking
Try Again

PS
I can tell you trying again does not work x 100 times.

Last edited by ffI; Oct 31, 2023 at 7:24 pm
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:21 pm

Hi all,

My Capital One account name doesnt include my middle name however, my Turkish Miles and Smiles account does. Will this be an issue when doing the points transfer? I am new to Turkish so,I am guessing I can set up a new Miles and Smiles account without my middle name but then it wont match my passport?

Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:50 pm
ffI

Welcome to FT!
Originally Posted by blahblah2
Hi all,
My Capital One account name doesnt include my middle name however, my Turkish Miles and Smiles account does. Will this be an issue when doing the points transfer? I am new to Turkish so,I am guessing I can set up a new Miles and Smiles account without my middle name but then it wont match my passport?
Thanks.
A
I would test with a 1k transfer first

If fails, then plan B
update capitalone account details - they ask for id - passport or Dl - and then transfer
new TK account as on Capital One and make yourfull name a "companion" on the new TK account
Old Nov 5, 2023, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
Welcome to FT!

A
I would test with a 1k transfer first

If fails, then plan B
update capitalone account details - they ask for id - passport or Dl - and then transfer
new TK account as on Capital One and make yourfull name a "companion" on the new TK account
Thank you

I called Capital One a number of times - regardless of which department I spoke with (credit card, banking, travel and tech support), everyone agreed that the absence of a middle name would be an issue however, no one quite agreed on the best / quickest way to resolve it. Eventually. I spoke with someone in the credit card department, who was able to add the middle name to my account without any paperwork. She said it would flow through the systems in 24 hours but it had already reflected that in about 12 hours' time. Since the account names matched exactly, I was able to instantly transfer the points over and used it to score a business class upgrade
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: VS Gold
While I'm happy for you I'm not having the same luck.

I can't access the online points transfer due to a bug in CapOne (so they say) which means it errors out trying to send me a verification code.

I tried to get Cap1 customer service to transfer the points, but they get an error when they enter my TK number (it says "invalid number format"). Same error when she tried some other airlines.

And each time I call, I get passed around to various departments. Some days CS say only "Digital" dept can do it. Sometime Digtail say tney can't do it and transfer me to Travel (who can never do it) Sometimes CS try to do it and cannot. Such a waste of time and all rather frustrating, having explained the issue at least 20 times now!

So I'm massively hating on Cap1 Venture rewards becuase I've been locked out for almost a month now, due to this bug.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by maxmin
While I'm happy for you I'm not having the same luck.

I can't access the online points transfer due to a bug in CapOne (so they say) which means it errors out trying to send me a verification code.

I tried to get Cap1 customer service to transfer the points, but they get an error when they enter my TK number (it says "invalid number format"). Same error when she tried some other airlines.

And each time I call, I get passed around to various departments. Some days CS say only "Digital" dept can do it. Sometime Digtail say tney can't do it and transfer me to Travel (who can never do it) Sometimes CS try to do it and cannot. Such a waste of time and all rather frustrating, having explained the issue at least 20 times now!

So I'm massively hating on Cap1 Venture rewards because I've been locked out for almost a month now, due to this bug.
I did a transfer of approx. 150K on Nov 2nd - pretty much instant (I checked 30 minutes later and all good). Got a confirmation email and all

Did another transfer on 5th - no confirmation email - stuck in no man's land. Everyone at C1 is completely useless.....
maxmin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.