Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:35 pm

Question re: overnight domestic connections in Canada from an international destination for fully vaccinated

I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to this question given how everything is so new. I tried to look at the government website but it wasn't too helpful.

I'm fully vaccinated. Making a prospective booking from IST to YUL this October. I live in YVR but Aeroplan only has economy for IST to YVR. The IST to YUL flight arrives at 5:10pm but the last flight out to Vancouver is 6:55pm. From the government website, it looks like I have to be swabbed at YUL. I think < 2 hour connection seems to short but I'm also not sure if staying at YUL overnight and flying from YUL to YVR the next morning is allowed?

I know things may change but for now, does anyone know if overnight domestic connections are allowed for Canadian citizens from an international destination? Thank you!
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by kw0921
From the government website, it looks like I have to be swabbed at YUL.
Several reports of pax with domestic connections given home kits instead of swabs at the airport.

At any rate, no quarantine if you have a negative Covid test prior to flight, so even if you don't make connecting flight, you should be OK to fly the next day.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 12:04 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
No quarantine if you are fully vaccinated with a Canadian-approved vaccine. If you are not vaccinated, a negative test alone gets you 3 nights in a massively overpriced hotel followed by 11 more days of home quarantine. But if vaccinated you don’t have to quarantine at all (unless your arrival test comes back positive) so an overnight connection is just fine.

Last edited by Finkface; Jul 16, 2021 at 2:28 am
Old Jul 16, 2021, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
Not quite yet. There is no quarantine only if you are fully vaccinated with a Canadian-approved vaccine. A negative test alone won’t do it. As the rules stand now, if you not vaccinated, a negative test alone gets you 3 nights in a massively overpriced hotel followed by 11 more days of home quarantine.
I am fully vaccinated with a Canadian-approved vaccine and I am Canadian. I'm just not sure about overnight domestic connections in Canada from an international destination. Most of the above posts talk about same-day domestic connections, but the flight from IST to YUL/YYZ arrives in the evening and I'm not sure if I will make it in time for the last flight to YVR.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Several reports of pax with domestic connections given home kits instead of swabs at the airport.

At any rate, no quarantine if you have a negative Covid test prior to flight, so even if you don't make connecting flight, you should be OK to fly the next day.
Thank you! I hope so too.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 1:34 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by kw0921
I am fully vaccinated with a Canadian-approved vaccine and I am Canadian. I'm just not sure about overnight domestic connections in Canada from an international destination. Most of the above posts talk about same-day domestic connections, but the flight from IST to YUL/YYZ arrives in the evening and I'm not sure if I will make it in time for the last flight to YVR.
As a fully vaccinated Canadian, you are free to do whatever you like. You do not have to quarantine so there is no problem with an overnight connection.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
As a fully vaccinated Canadian, you are free to do whatever you like. You do not have to quarantine so there is no problem with an overnight connection.
This. I landed yesterday at YYZ from USA and for double vaccinated with a 72-hour covid test it is back to 2019 except for the covid test I had to take at YYZ. If my final destination was a connecting city in Canada they would have given me the covid test to take home. For you exiting Canada within 24 hours you would not have to take the YYZ arrival covid test. Customs agent puts a coloured sticker on the back of your passport to signify your quarantine/covid test status as you exit YYZ.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Um, wouldn't that be a US thing

No CDN checks on the way to US Immigration at Peace Arch
Correct. However, the original announcement re closure (March 2020) was reciprocal. I meant nothing being said about travel to US in the current context. Earlier, US was talking about a unilateral opening on their end. Lots of complaints this week but no announcement from them.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
This. I landed yesterday at YYZ from USA and for double vaccinated with a 72-hour covid test it is back to 2019 except for the covid test I had to take at YYZ. If my final destination was a connecting city in Canada they would have given me the covid test to take home. For you exiting Canada within 24 hours you would not have to take the YYZ arrival covid test. Customs agent puts a coloured sticker on the back of your passport to signify your quarantine/covid test status as you exit YYZ.
How long did you need to connect to your domestic flight? Did they give you the option to do on site testing?
Old Jul 16, 2021, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by jetplane86
How long did you need to connect to your domestic flight? Did they give you the option to do on site testing?
Personally YYZ was my final destination so I wasn’t in a hurry for the covid test (it only took 5-10 minutes with no line). My understanding for connecting passengers is they can take the blue box with them and do the test at their final destination or do it at YYZ.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Probably the August 21 renewal.
Sooner announcement on Monday
Old Jul 16, 2021, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Sooner announcement on Monday
No hints on what the announcement will be this time
Old Jul 16, 2021, 6:00 pm

No hints on what the announcement will be this time
Two neighbours will reunite. And lots more!
Old Jul 16, 2021, 6:06 pm

I know some of you have been frequent cross border travelers during these times, and wondered how you deal with closely spaced entries into Canada? I found that after arriving, the Arrivecan app keeps pinging me for updates/symptom reporting, which I gather I can ignore if I do not need to quarantine. However, I left Canada again shortly after my arrival, and then re-entered, so that the 2nd entry is within 14 days of the first. I found that I cannot tell ArriveCan that I had left Canada, nor can I tell it that I am entering again on a separate trip, and so I could not upload my new entry details into the app. In the end, I had to create a new account with a different email (and now they both ping me every day). I am now leaving yet again and re-entering, on what I think will be Day 14 of entry1, so I'm not sure if I will have to create yet another account. Is there some other workaround than keep creating more accounts?
Old Jul 16, 2021, 6:44 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Two neighbours will reunite. And lots more!
Given Biden's statements during Merkel's visit, I wonder if our new freedoms will be due to the Americans forcing Justin's hand.

A tell would be if the US opens up in a similar way and time frame to Canada and Europe (and especially if Canada only relaxes rules for Americans).
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Given Biden's statements during Merkel's visit, I wonder if our new freedoms will be due to the Americans forcing Justin's hand.

A tell would be if the US opens up in a similar way and time frame to Canada and Europe (and especially if Canada only relaxes rules for Americans).
Canada is an inclusive country. Everyone will be welcome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.