Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by redadeco
I assume they're not Canadian citizens/PR. Outside of these two categories I reckon it's risky to show up at the border with the expectation to get in even after the last changes.
They are not Canadian citizens/PR, but had a letter of permission from Public Health allowing them entry for the purpose of attending a funeral. CBSA allowed them to enter, but not to skip quarantine even though they were fully vaccinated and seemed to meet the criteria.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
They are not Canadian citizens/PR, but had a letter of permission from Public Health allowing them entry for the purpose of attending a funeral. CBSA allowed them to enter, but not to skip quarantine even though they were fully vaccinated and seemed to meet the criteria.
It seems the CBSA agent was making up rules on the fly - they probably were thinking that as a non-resident/non-citizen the new rules don't apply to them but my read of the rules says that non-residents/non-Canadians aren't supposed to be allowed in other than under certain specific circumstances (a funeral is likely one of them) but once you are allowed in, there is no need to quarantine.
"Beginning July 5, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. EDT, fully vaccinated travellers, arriving by land or air, who are eligible to enter Canada and who comply with specific criteria will not be required to quarantine or complete a day-8 test. In addition, fully vaccinated travellers arriving by air will not be required to stay at a government-authorized accommodation (GAA) to await their on-arrival test result."

The government's press release references travellers not citizens or permanent residents.
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...-measures.html
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
It seems the CBSA agent was making up rules on the fly - they probably were thinking that as a non-resident/non-citizen the new rules don't apply to them but my read of the rules says that non-residents/non-Canadians aren't supposed to be allowed in other than under certain specific circumstances (a funeral is likely one of them) but once you are allowed in, there is no need to quarantine.
"Beginning July 5, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. EDT, fully vaccinated travellers, arriving by land or air, who are eligible to enter Canada and who comply with specific criteria will not be required to quarantine or complete a day-8 test. In addition, fully vaccinated travellers arriving by air will not be required to stay at a government-authorized accommodation (GAA) to await their on-arrival test result."

The government's press release references travellers not citizens or permanent residents.
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...-measures.html
Exactly. We even verified that with a relative who is a high-level CSBA agent and said she would have let them in without quarantine. (But due to conflict of interest could not actually help us beyond giving us phone numbers, all of which went nowhere.) And, as I said, there appears to be no process of appeal.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:59 am

Exactly. We even verified that with a relative who is a high-level CSBA agent and said she would have let them in without quarantine. (But due to conflict of interest could not actually help us beyond giving us phone numbers, all of which went nowhere.) And, as I said, there appears to be no process of appeal.
How can CBSA or Public Health really enforce a fine for breach of quarantine by a non-resident who came to Canada once for a funeral anyways? They can mail them a fine in USA or elsewhere but what else can they do other than that?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
How can CBSA or Public Health really enforce a fine for breach of quarantine by a non-resident who came to Canada once for a funeral anyways? They can mail them a fine in USA or elsewhere but what else can they do other than that?
Nothing, I'm sure. However, these people do want to enter the country in the future and wouldn't want to jeopardize that with some kind of a "record," though I doubt the government is organized enough to make that happen. Also, for at least one of the people I know, they feel conscience-bound to do what they were instructed to do.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Unmaxdemax
has anyone tried to be exempted from quarantine under the new rules upon returning to Canada?

a colleague who had been fully vaccinated for 14+ days was denied the exemption because her trip (week end in NYC) was deemed « non essential » by the CBSA agent. She had followed all the procedure (testing, Ontario vaccination proof in ArriveCan…).
Quarantine exemptions for Canadian nationals effective 7/5 are not the same thing as Exempt travel. Claiming Exempt Status in ArrvieCAN for a weekend trip to the states will for sure get you the VIP treatment by the CBSA. If your colleague clicked YES when asked if this was exempt travel, than the mistake was entirely on her.

Exempt travelers are not required to take a test on arrival and were not required to quarantine (at the hotel or home) pre-7/5. The ArriveCAN app interface for Exempt travel is different. The CBSA agent will provide a three digit code to enter in the ArriveCAN app to confirm the exemption and to activate the E with a checkmark screen.

CBSA have been quite strict in their enforcement of the Exempt status. I've been traveling as an Exempt traveler since the beginning of the year and even through I fully qualify for the exemption I was still questioned a for a couple of minutes each and every time I claimed it.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: Mileage plus
Thank you.

but is it arbitrary? I mean, i am Canadian, been double vaxxed for a month with approved vaccines. If I show a neg PCR test and show no symptoms, can a CBSA officer decide that I am not exempted from quarantine? I am a bit worried…

Originally Posted by nomad1972
Quarantine exemptions for Canadian nationals effective 7/5 are not the same thing as Exempt travel. Claiming Exempt Status in ArrvieCAN for a weekend trip to the states will for sure get you the VIP treatment by the CBSA. If your colleague clicked YES when asked if this was exempt travel, than the mistake was entirely on her.

Exempt travelers are not required to take a test on arrival and were not required to quarantine (at the hotel or home) pre-7/5. The ArriveCAN app interface for Exempt travel is different. The CBSA agent will provide a three digit code to enter in the ArriveCAN app to confirm the exemption and to activate the E with a checkmark screen.

CBSA have been quite strict in their enforcement of the Exempt status. I've been traveling as an Exempt traveler since the beginning of the year and even through I fully qualify for the exemption I was still questioned a for a couple of minutes each and every time I claimed it.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: Mileage plus
From what I can read online, fully vaxxed travellers DON’T have to quarantine (if they were granted such exemption) till they receive the result of the day 1 test, if they are asymptomatic?
Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thank you.

but is it arbitrary? I mean, i am Canadian, been double vaxxed for a month with approved vaccines. If I show a neg PCR test and show no symptoms, can a CBSA officer decide that I am not exempted from quarantine? I am a bit worried…
A bit more to it than that

Also have to have the ArriveCAN, either app or printout of number and negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of arrival.

From what I can read online, fully vaxxed travellers DON’T have to quarantine (if they were granted such exemption) till they receive the result of the day 1 test, if they are asymptomatic?
Correct.

Just read the threads here, you will get correct info from real life experiences.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
A friend of mine said Sandman YVR is dropping out of the hotel program as of July 30th.

Does this happen often or can we start speculating about the end date of the hotel program?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 4:38 pm

This post is intended to reassure any folks who are on the fence about travelling under the new post—July 5 rules. I have travelled USA>Toronto>USA for 2-3 days every month since covid started. I originally flew into YYZ from 3/20 to 1/21 and then after the hotel quarantine started I always flew USA>BUF and rented a car in BUF to drive to Toronto for a few days.

I was very nervous about flying into YYZ today in case anything went wrong it would be a lot harder to just turn around and drive back to USA. Today could not have gone better. I got my 72-hour covid test and carefully completed the arrivecan app with my CDC card proving double vaccination. All my prior flights to YYZ were on Delta where they reviewed the covid test and took my temperature prior to boarding. Today was on AC and they did nothing- exactly like 2019. Upon arrival at YYZ T1 at noon it was empty. The guy looked at my covid test and the arrivecan answers and that was it. Zero additional questions. No line. All agents were bored with no passengers. He put a sticker on my passport which had to be shown at the exit. Then the covid test took 3-5 minutes and that was it as I had already setup my portal.switchhealth.ca account. I was worried for nothing. Pearson is eerily quiet. Only employees no passengers. T1 transborder used to be a very busy place. We still laugh at the huge amount of chocolate I got at Pearson duty free for 90% off last fall as it was all expiring. Staff placed their routine huge order of perfume, chocolate, cigarettes and alcohol in Feb/20.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jul 15, 2021 at 5:59 am
Old Jul 14, 2021, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
He put a sticker on my passport which had to be shown at the exit. Then the covid test took 3-5 minutes and that was it. I was worried for nothing. Pearson is eerily quiet. Only employees no passengers. T1 transborder used to be a very busy place.
Could you please share how quickly you get your arrival test results and whether those results are good enough for the return trip to the US?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by mikhailm
Could you please share how quickly you get your arrival test results and whether those results are good enough for the return trip to the US?
Some family members entered recently and got their results about 50 hours after the tests were taken.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:00 pm

Some family members entered recently and got their results about 50 hours after the tests were taken.
In my experience weekdays are faster than weekends for results.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
YVR test around noon Sunday, email with result sent shortly after midnight (Monday), so about 12 hours.
tcook052 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.