Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
All I can say is . . . if I get to YYC in September- fully vaccinated and somehow they say I have to quarantine . . I might just totally disappear . . . . . . for a while . . .

Glad to know the V changes to I. I actually abandoned the application - but maybe tomorrow I will try again and wait a day to see what happens. I used my Canadian (colored yellow) certificate of vaccination card with the stickers from Moderna and the stamps from the immunization centre in CH . . plus the signatures of those authorized to say it was done . . . .

Glad things are moving forward - if only slowly.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: Accor, Diamond
Originally Posted by Finkface
There will always be the smart a$$ who scams everyone and everything they can. That is why we are in this mess in the first place.
Thank you for being the moral beacon shining the light on the low echelons of society.

It got me thinking that, perhaps, a less smug attitude would be to ask why so many people circumvent the stupid rules.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Exactly. Like the current huge market for fake positive test results in certain countries so you can bypass hotel quarantine. The fake negative tests backfired so they started using fake previous positive results. Now it will be fake vaccine cards. There will always be the smart a$$ who scams everyone and everything they can. That is why we are in this mess in the first place.
On this - I always say - this will be rare as the cost of compliance is so small that the push to not be compliant is not significant enough to worry. i.e. - it's not the same as needing a passport for immigration purposes (the cost of which may be high to impossible). A fake covid doc is not nearly as likely as a fake passport - since most people can comply for little cost and thus the need to fake something (thus the pressure) is not so great. However- those who worry about the 0.1% - will not get this .
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
ok to be clear, no human actually looks at your vax certificate/test results until you arrive in Canada?
For check in, you just show your arrivecan receipt? Or do airlines bother checking vax certificate?

I was talking to my in laws yesterday who are in their early 60s and not totally tech illiterate.
When I told them about all the hoops and apps and uploads and tests etc etc, their eyes glazed over.
I can only imagine how hard to navigate all this is for really old people who dont know how to internet.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok to be clear, no human actually looks at your vax certificate/test results until you arrive in Canada?
For check in, you just show your arrivecan receipt? Or do airlines bother checking vax certificate?
They wouldn't check proof of vaccination at check-in because it's not required to enter Canada.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by mhodge
Thank you for being the moral beacon shining the light on the low echelons of society.

It got me thinking that, perhaps, a less smug attitude would be to ask why so many people circumvent the stupid rules.
You’re welcome.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

I was talking to my in laws yesterday who are in their early 60s and not totally tech illiterate.
When I told them about all the hoops and apps and uploads and tests etc etc, their eyes glazed over.
I can only imagine how hard to navigate all this is for really old people who dont know how to internet.
At the gate, my test result was thoroughly checked and I was asked to show my ArriveCan confirmation. I was then asked if I had a quarantine hotel booking. When I said I was exempt from the hotel quarantine because I was vaccinated, she then asked to see my vax card.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
At the gate, my test result was thoroughly checked and I was asked to show my ArriveCan confirmation. I was then asked if I had a quarantine hotel booking. When I said I was exempt from the hotel quarantine because I was vaccinated, she then asked to see my vax card.
Interesting. Thank you. I guess best to bring a printed version of the Ontario "receipt"
Old Jul 7, 2021, 4:24 pm

For the elderly people or tech-challenged, they should always opt for on-site arrival test if they can, instead of getting the day-1 home test kit, unless you live in the arrival city and don't need a second flight to connect to your home city. The remote session for taking the sample at home is too hard for people without a proper computer, or knowledge to install Microsoft Teams on their computer or their phone.

I'm pretty tech savvy, but don't use Microsoft Teams often. So when I was waiting on my session for a long time (because the observer logged in 45 minutes late), I've been really doubting my internet connection, my camera, and my microphone and speaker, and thought it was my fault that caused the observer not able to connect to the remote appointment. It was very stressful, because on the government handout it was stated specifically if for whatever reason you are not able to finish the arrival test, then you're still subject to the 14-day at home quarantine, which I did not want to happen to me due to some technical difficulties.

However, be ready for the long lines at the on-site arrival test, or any other lines (e.g. if you didn't pre-register for the arrival test, or if you don't have a Nexus card and there's a full flight of passengers before you in the regular customs line), so to be on the safe side, you may want to leave at lest 2 hours for your connection flight, so that you will have enough time to receive your on-site arrival test.

Last edited by newzenith1; Jul 7, 2021 at 4:31 pm
Old Jul 7, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Still anxiously waiting for the first DP from a land crossing experience, especially WA-BC.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by redadeco
Still anxiously waiting for the first DP from a land crossing experience, especially WA-BC.
There is one account here, starting at post 110. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...l#post33388260

He did have to get a hotel in BLI for the night to get a test as he had not gotten tested in the US prior to driving across. It was either that or a $6,500 fine, but otherwise, no problem with the quarantine exemption it seems.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 5:10 pm

As a follow up to my arrival last night, I just received my arrival test results via email. So it took about 18 hours.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:23 am

As a follow up to my arrival last night, I just received my arrival test results via email. So it took about 18 hours.
Arrival test done at the airport? How much did it cost?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Soopergal
Arrival test done at the airport? How much did it cost?
All free. They're paid by Canadian government.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by jetplane86
I'm just not sure if the test results are given in a formatted document suitable for travel. Does anyone have any real life experience with this?
I got my arrival test result back from Lifelabs and it's in a PDF format that looks like a very formal report, with Sample Date/Time and Result Date/Time, lab's name, as well as the following information: "NEGATIVE for COVID-19 virus (SARS-CoV-2) by RT-PCR/NAAT". It does mention "Site: Self-Collected Nasal" because I used a home test kit. But if you're getting your on-site test from YVR airport, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be accepted for your travel in the next 72 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.