Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Continuing with the theme of total government disorganization, this email was sent out today to thousands of Canadians from the Canadian Government. The Government of Canada's Registration of Canadians Abroad service.

Dear Canadians,
You are receiving this email because you are registered with the Government of Canada's Registration of Canadians Abroad service.
Further to our message of June 24th, 2021, we would now like to inform you of the following change regarding the easing of some border measures for fully-vaccinated travellers already allowed to enter Canada.
These border measures will now take effect as of July 5, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. EDT, rather than 11:59pm EDT on July 5, 2021.

Canada.ca still shows 23:59 EDT. What is going to happen when those who received this notification turn up in the middle of the day on July 5 and are sent to hotel and home quarantine? What a cluster.

Old Jul 2, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
In related news, Trudeau today stated that further reopening of the border (I think in reference to foreign travellers) will have to wait possibly until we get to, as Dr. Tam had indicated, double-dosed into the 80s - as in over 80%. Say what?
Old Jul 2, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
The government advertised easing would begin July 5.

But then they specified end-of-day July 5, 1 minute before midnight. Now it is specified as early morning / start of July 5. That is what the regular public expects when the government says "beginning on a date". This is opposite of "due by midnight".

So they have fixed the rule. Easing begins earlier. This helps people arriving on July 5. It removes the tougher rules for people arriving that day. Unlike what you say that it pushes people into quarantine, it does the opposite...

The communication problem was noted right at the start, around 2 weeks ago? They finally fixed it. The breakneck speed of government! I am guessing it took thouands of man-hours of internal meetings to decide to do the right thing. Now pray that CBSA got the message and understands.
jlisi984 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Finkface
Continuing with the theme of total government disorganization, this email was sent out today to thousands of Canadians from the Canadian Government. The Government of Canada's Registration of Canadians Abroad service.

Dear Canadians,
You are receiving this email because you are registered with the Government of Canada's Registration of Canadians Abroad service.
Further to our message of June 24th, 2021, we would now like to inform you of the following change regarding the easing of some border measures for fully-vaccinated travellers already allowed to enter Canada.
These border measures will now take effect as of July 5, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. EDT, rather than 11:59pm EDT on July 5, 2021.

Canada.ca still shows 23:59 EDT. What is going to happen when those who received this notification turn up in the middle of the day on July 5 and are sent to hotel and home quarantine? What a cluster.

well then… I’m glad I ended up having to push out my return a few days in any case… originally had a far better flight booked for Jul 5 than I could have booked for Jul 6 and I had to change due to the strange start time…
Old Jul 2, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
12:01 AM July 5 is the first minute, or 00:01 Jul 5, which is 9:01pm July 4 in Vancouver...

Will CBSA understand this and be ready. Today there is a Mexican arrival after 9pm, I wonder if there is on the 4th..

Last edited by mountainboy; Jul 2, 2021 at 2:07 pm
Old Jul 2, 2021, 2:12 pm

Arrival testing - BC / AB

I'm booked to fly from Gatwick to Vancouver via Calgary (3.5 hour stopover) after July 6th. Do i have to register for arrival testing in Calgary or Vancouver? Is this done when you get off an international flight or as you leave the airport building?

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 2, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Are you fully vaccinated? If not, you will need to book a 3-night stopover to quarantine at a hotel before you can fly to YVR.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 2:24 pm

Dear Canadians,

That is the correct date and time CBSA and PHAC are working with now.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
That is the correct date and time CBSA and PHAC are working with now.
So it really is going to be as of 12:01am on July 5?
Old Jul 2, 2021, 3:45 pm

So it really is going to be as of 12:01am on July 5?
That's what's being published and what the staff at land and air borders will work with. The only issue is the ArriveCAN app only being updated that day so there will be a grace period where people can show their documentation upon arrival since they won't be able to upload it in advance.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
That's what's being published and what the staff at land and air borders will work with. The only issue is the ArriveCAN app only being updated that day so there will be a grace period where people can show their documentation upon arrival since they won't be able to upload it in advance.
Thanks. That is annoying. I had a great flight booked and upgraded for arrival on the 5th but changed it (with a hefty fare difference) to the 6th. Of course now it is even pricier and it is no longer available for upgrade. Plus, I will be in the air on the 5th so it will be a challenge to upload our docs. They couldn’t have released the updated app even a day earlier?
Old Jul 2, 2021, 4:08 pm

Thanks. That is annoying. I had a great flight booked and upgraded for arrival on the 5th but changed it (with a hefty fare difference) to the 6th. Of course now it is even pricier and it is no longer available for upgrade. Plus, I will be in the air on the 5th so it will be a challenge to upload our docs. They couldn’t have released the updated app even a day earlier?
When have they ever cared to make things easier for people?
Finkface and jackmaninov like this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by LizSop
I'm booked to fly from Gatwick to Vancouver via Calgary (3.5 hour stopover) after July 6th. Do i have to register for arrival testing in Calgary or Vancouver? Is this done when you get off an international flight or as you leave the airport building?
It will be done in Calgary before you leave the building (actually don't think you leave the "building" before your connecting flight). Pretty sure you don't register, it's just part of the arrival process.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 8:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I like to confirm - as of July 5, 2021 - is the covid testing on arrival at one of the (for now) the 4 designated airports open in Canada for international travel - ie YYZ, YVR, YYC, and YUL.

Is it the usual high nasal PCR test, or some other (rapid antigen) test using one's saliva?

What is the turn around time for this test?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 12:15 am

If you're arriving into BC (but not necessarily other provinces), I noticed they've changed providers of the arrival testing company - so if you previously registered with Switch, you might want to register with Lifelabs https://www.lifelabs.com/flyclear/on...?myProvince=bc to save time. This is for both land and air arrivals https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...mc-covid-20-21

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.