Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Well you need to present a quarantine plan so you do not need to quarantine after the arrival test but you can't tell them you're heading straight to a bar to see your extended family either. Basically, you need to lay low until you get your negative test and have a back up quarantine plan in case your test is positive.
I think the question a lot of people have is are they allow to connect to their final destination. I for example am flying SEA-YYZ-YOW. Will I be allow to connect to YOW or will I have to rent a car from YYZ to YOW? Its not till mid August so hopefully there will be a clear answer by then.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by bcard519
I think the question a lot of people have is are they allow to connect to their final destination. I for example am flying SEA-YYZ-YOW. Will I be allow to connect to YOW or will I have to rent a car from YYZ to YOW? Its not till mid August so hopefully there will be a clear answer by then.
While it should have been spelled out in the new OiC, I feel that domestic connections are allowed by exclusion. The requirements for a place of quarantine defined in 3.1(2) do not make reference to a place that "is directly accessible by a private conveyance that is shared with only persons who travelled and entered Canada with the person" as they do in the requirements for a place of isolation - 5.1(3)(a).
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by bcard519
Yes, you can go to your final destination right away.

Airports and some land borders have on-site testing or sample observation services where you can complete your test before continuing on to your destination.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ntering-canada

People will overanalyse these words but yes, you can continue to your final destination without knowing your arrival test result.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:27 am

If I fly to YYZ (fully vaccinated after 7/5) and my final destination is the GTA do I still have to quarantine for the first ~24 hours or am I free to do what I want and visit family/friends??
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If I fly to YYZ (fully vaccinated after 7/5) and my final destination is the GTA do I still have to quarantine for the first ~24 hours or am I free to do what I want and visit family/friends??
As per the new regulations and unless you are also deemed exempt from on arrival testing you have to quarantine until you get your test result back and it is negative.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:13 am

You are supposed to self-isolate until you get a negative result.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: AC SE
I wonder if they will make that clear in the documentation or in an at-the-border explanation. If they do not, most people would never know...
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I wonder if they will make that clear in the documentation or in an at-the-border explanation. If they do not, most people would never know...
Well it is clear but people keep grasping at straws and reading between the lines. Ultimately, if you show acceptable vaccination documents and give a reasonable quarantine plan, I highly doubt they will focus their efforts on checking on people who have to isolate for less than 24 hours. If you're allowed to proceed to your final destination after taking your arrival test, there is no way for them to check whether people stop at a store or to see friends on the way. If they thought the risk was high, they wouldn't exempt vaccinated people from quarantine.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
As long as its kept at "supposed to" rather than "must or we fine you", that is a great "rule"
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:06 am

Well it is clear but people keep grasping at straws and reading between the lines. Ultimately, if you show acceptable vaccination documents and give a reasonable quarantine plan, I highly doubt they will focus their efforts on checking on people who have to isolate for less than 24 hours. If you're allowed to proceed to your final destination after taking your arrival test, there is no way for them to check whether people stop at a store or to see friends on the way. If they thought the risk was high, they wouldn't exempt vaccinated people from quarantine.
In my 10 trips so far I have never been contacted before day 4 of my quarantine and even then it was by a recording and not a live person.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
As long as its kept at "supposed to" rather than "must or we fine you", that is a great "rule"
Well it is you must or you may be fined but how will they ever be able to check. So I think it's a ''loose'' rule.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Well it is you must or you may be fined but how will they ever be able to check. So I think it's a ''loose'' rule.
Yeah i see the new addition. Complicates going from vacations straight to work - as that can be easily verfied....
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yeah i see the new addition. Complicates going from vacations straight to work - as that can be easily verfied....
I think it is a reasonable request for now given where we just came from. I'm sure there will be further loosening of some rules.
Yul_voyager likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:45 am
gei

As others have pointed out, you are "supposed" to quarantine.

But I think most sensible people have moved on past this nonsense. Tell the border agents what they want to hear and then immediately move on with your life. The longer people keep complying with this nonsense the longer it will stick around.
mhodge likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:46 am

So according to the new rules for vaccinated travellers I can now immediately connect from YYZ to YVR (or anywhere else in Canada) and by the time I settle in my results will be out and I will have effectively had no quarantine. Meanwhile if I test positive I could have, in theory, transmitted my covid to an entire plane of unsuspecting domestic travellers and vice versa I could get infected by untested travellers on my domestic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.