Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Ok, so after going through the new rules, trying to figure out how these apply. Try and bear with me.

We are Canadian citizens (well - really dual Canadian-US citizens) resident in the US, fully vaccinated . If I (and wife) want to come visit family, we need are required to:

- take pre-departure test (within 72 hours of departure) as well as the post-arrival test
- still put in a detailed quarantine plan into ArriveCan in case we test positive on the post-arrival test (as low as this chance could be).
- but aren’t required to really quarantine while waiting for post-arrival result
- don’t need to do the silly quarantine hotel or day 8 test thing

What I’m not clear on is if we can have a return ticket in shorter than the 14 day quarantine timeframe in case there is a positive result (again, minuscule chance based on full vaccination and precautions) - Ie, if we only planned to stay a week, can we book that ticket as we plan to fly it, or do we have to book the return at 14+ days out, and then change it once we get our negative results? Once we get our negative results, there shouldn’t be any other requirements (besides taking the test to get back in the US).

To add another aspect, if we were to bring along our 3 and 6 yo kids, who clearly are not vaccinated at this point since nothing is approved for them yet (and also have Canadian passports), they:

- are also not required to go to a quarantine hotel since they are with us
- but are required to do 14 day quarantine (with us, if course, and do another test on day 8 of quarantine
- presumably they need to be staying in Canada for 14+ days (and therefore, we would).

maybe this will all be moot, since I know here they are talking about ‘weeks’ before loosening up again assuming all goes according to plan, but are the above correct based on the July 5 rules? Or am I misinterpreting/missing something?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 4:21 am

All correct except you may leave Canada at any time by air or land crossing. The only requirement to stay 15 days is for a non-Cdn citizen in a relationship with a Cdn citizen cannot come and go. Every entry must be for 15+ days. This does not apply to you. Nothing has changed for young kids under 12 as they cannot be vaccinated. Again nothing requires kids to stay in Canada for more than 14 days. They can exit Canada anytime with a positive or negative result. But if they stay in Canada they must quarantine for 14 days.

I still don’t have a concrete answer on the legal requirement for a vaccinated traveller to quarantine for the first 24 hours until the post-arrival test result is received but the consensus here seems to be they are not going to be checking so it doesn’t matter.
zrh2yvr likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jun 23, 2021 at 4:27 am
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I know many resident Cdns who got one or both vaccines in USA so they are going to have to accept foreign vaccination receipts even though they are easy to forge.
I hope you're right. But I'm afraid that the only thing that changed for me personally is that I'll have to argue the validity of my US vaccination record instead of the validity of my essential worker status.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by asdf098
That link doesn't seem to go anywhere (at least as of 6/22 9pm EST) so maybe it was taken down.

But I hope this type of system won't be the only way to validate our vaccination status. For example, what about those of us with no provincial health card or "file" in Canada? As a Canadian citizen living abroad (and vaccinated abroad) will I be able to do quarantine-free travel to Canada to visit family? Or to go on a leisure weekend trip to Montreal or to Banff from my home in NY?

Surely all of these are unknowns at this time so I don't want to speculate too much ahead of time, but some interesting edge cases worth thinking about...
A friend successfully used the link last night. Maybe try again?

I should have said at the end of the process you get a “successfully completed” screen I did a screenshot (nod to 24Left). I was told they would get back to me via telephone or email when my data was verified.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I know many resident Cdns who got one or both vaccines in USA so they are going to have to accept foreign vaccination receipts even though they are easy to forge.

Perhaps that’s why there is a process before foreign data can be entered. Pretty sure they told me that even if I had the vaccine here (ON) I would have to use this website.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:46 am

Here's the link for Ontarians to access and download/print their vaccination records....Ontario vaccinations and out of province vaccinations

https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/
Harpagon likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
All correct except you may leave Canada at any time by air or land crossing. The only requirement to stay 15 days is for a non-Cdn citizen in a relationship with a Cdn citizen cannot come and go. Every entry must be for 15+ days. This does not apply to you. Nothing has changed for young kids under 12 as they cannot be vaccinated. Again nothing requires kids to stay in Canada for more than 14 days. They can exit Canada anytime with a positive or negative result. But if they stay in Canada they must quarantine for 14 days.

I still don’t have a concrete answer on the legal requirement for a vaccinated traveller to quarantine for the first 24 hours until the post-arrival test result is received but the consensus here seems to be they are not going to be checking so it doesn’t matter.
Ok...so even with the kids if they still can't be vaccinated, not even they need to stay for the full quarantine period?

A potential positive test result that you bring up does complicate things, of course. Maybe they can 'exit Canada' no matter the result, but in reality, not really. A positive result means we can't travel [at least fly] into the US (and fair enough - would be reckless to travel in public with a positive test) - both by US policy as I understand it (since you need to test negative within 72 hours of travel), and by airline policy (as you need to atest you haven't tested positive/come into close contact with someone who tested positive or who has symptoms - and again, would be reckless to do so anyway).

To other posters comments, I sincerely hope they are going to accept CDC cards. Also, hopefully they'll accept state-based digital records (I have one from CA, once they correct the typo they made in my name...)
Old Jun 23, 2021, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Ok...so even with the kids if they still can't be vaccinated, not even they need to stay for the full quarantine period?

A potential positive test result that you bring up does complicate things, of course. Maybe they can 'exit Canada' no matter the result, but in reality, not really. A positive result means we can't travel [at least fly] into the US (and fair enough - would be reckless to travel in public with a positive test) - both by US policy as I understand it (since you need to test negative within 72 hours of travel), and by airline policy (as you need to atest you haven't tested positive/come into close contact with someone who tested positive or who has symptoms - and again, would be reckless to do so anyway).

To other posters comments, I sincerely hope they are going to accept CDC cards. Also, hopefully they'll accept state-based digital records (I have one from CA, once they correct the typo they made in my name...)
FYI for you and others. TSA in USA does not do temperature checks at security but they do so in Canada. So anyone who has a fever or elevated temperature would not be allowed to fly domestically in Canada even if they lied during online checkin. They also do temp checks at the boarding gate for flights going into Canada. So someone connecting USA to USA to Canada would get caught prior to boarding flight 2. But anyone testing positive would be permitted to drive to USA (with USA status) as USA land entries do not require a covid test and they don’t take your temperature at land crossings (unless you appear ill).
Old Jun 23, 2021, 4:50 pm

They also do temp checks at the boarding gate for flights going into Canada.
The requirement to perform pre-boarding temperature checks is being phased out (see Omar Alghabra's 5/21 statement: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...g-canada3.html).
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:14 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by emcampbe
To other posters comments, I sincerely hope they are going to accept CDC cards. Also, hopefully they'll accept state-based digital records
What else could they possibly require? If out of Canada vaccines are acceptable, then I am assuming they will take as proof whatever is being distributed in the country where vaccine was received which can vary a lot from one place to another.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
What else could they possibly require? If out of Canada vaccines are acceptable, then I am assuming they will take as proof whatever is being distributed in the country where vaccine was received which can vary a lot from one place to another.
Happy 1000th post. In the USA we just filled in a blank CDC card. It can be very easily forged and duplicated. I was asked to fill in my own name in my own handwriting. The clerk then completed the date and vaccine info. There is no provincial health card to upload this to for non-residents. In addition, if this card is lost there is no opportunity to get a replacement. It’s as secure as a 1970s library card.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jun 23, 2021 at 6:44 pm
Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Happy 1000th post. In the USA we just filled in a blank CDC card. It can be very easily forged and duplicated. I was asked to fill in my own name in my own handwriting. The clerk then completed the date and vaccine info. There is no provincial health card to upload this to for non-residents. In addition, if this card is lost there is no opportunity to get a replacement. It’s as secure as a 1970s library card.
I think the CDC card will be fine. They will just said that they will be heavy fines / criminal records for anyone caught with a fake and it should be enough to strongly limit the number of people trying to avoid quarantine with a forged card. And even if there are some people who managed to pass with a fake, between the arrival test and the vaccination rate in the community there is almost no chance it will create a major outbreak...
Old Jun 24, 2021, 12:05 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
In the USA we just filled in a blank CDC card. It can be very easily forged and duplicated. I was asked to fill in my own name in my own handwriting. The clerk then completed the date and vaccine info. It’s as secure as a 1970s library card.
Wow I hope immigration (or airlines at check-in) will not balk when presented with such card. Canada probably not, but when visiting countries far away, not sure.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:29 am

what does cgv code mean for marriott hotel? does that include meals just like gaa rates?
Old Jun 24, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by escape4
Wow I hope immigration (or airlines at check-in) will not balk when presented with such card. Canada probably not, but when visiting countries far away, not sure.
I believe the CDC card is already being accepted by many/most/all of the European nations that have opened up recently (Greece, Italy, France, etc). Whether or not it is still accepted after all the big players get together and agree on a digital vaccine registration/passport system is another story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.