Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Still no details if you travel with kids under 12... My understanding is you can go home, kids have to quarantine 14 days at home and adults could leave quarantine if the arrival test comes negative, but more details would be welcomed.
(Unfortunately that means no family day trips to the US, even if they unilaterally open their borders)
Via Cormac Mac Sweeney:

"If it's a family travelling together & the parents are fully vaccinated but the children are not, then the children have to quarantine at home for 14 days and go through testing requirements but the parents will be allowed to leave the home after a negative arrival test."
Yul_voyager likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
The lesson after all this time seems to be to fly back via YYC and then connect home.
Which makes the whole charade useless and invalidates the efficacy of the program. This is a very strong non-charter argument to use when contesting tickets.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
The Government of Canada has added this news release to their site: Government of Canada's first phase to easing border measures for travellers entering Canada.

They have also added a page titled Fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada during COVID-19.

Additionally, they have provided an infographic in PDF format.
Nowhere does it say you have to isolate/quarantine until your arrival test comes back negative....
Which would be great seeing how with increased volume these tests probably wont come back for a couple days.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Nowhere does it say you have to isolate/quarantine until your arrival test comes back negative....
Which would be great seeing how with increased volume these tests probably wont come back for a couple days.
Some of the early news stories said something along the lines of "they recommend you remain isolated until you receive your results." But you are right that the formal instructions do not say anything to that effect.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Some of the early news stories said something along the lines of "they recommend you remain isolated until you receive your results." But you are right that the formal instructions do not say anything to that effect.
I think it's more a recommendation than a requirement. I doubt they would even try checking up on people who have to isolate for less than 24 hours.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
I think it's more a recommendation than a requirement. I doubt they would even try checking up on people who have to isolate for less than 24 hours.
In my 10 trips the earliest I ever got a live or robocall was on day 4.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
In theory they would focus their attention to not-vaccinated travelers.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
So it says from 11:59pm ET. Does that mean one can arrive at YVR at 20:59 PST and be good to go? I’m not willing to risk it, personally, but by the letter of what is written, it should work,correct?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
In theory they would focus their attention to not-vaccinated travelers.
Yeah. Anyway, fully vaxxed people still need to present a valid quarantine time for that period. From what I've seen already, I doubt people at the border will care much unless the vaccination papers or something else doesn't look right.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by lewis_m
I will be in that situation where I have to connect. My concern is the minimum connection time considering the covid test at landing.
I have the “opposite” problem - our connecting domestic flight does not leave until the following morning, and as such we’re planning to spend a night in a (non-quarantine) airport hotel. None of the published information seems to imply that doesn’t count as an “essential” stopover on the way home, but I guess it is down to final call by the border officer? I’m sure it is going to be a common situation, whether due to scheduling or misconnects…anybody would interpret the published rules to allow for anything other than letting people to
continue the connecting flight home even if requiring an overnight stopover?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by TH90
I have the “opposite” problem - our connecting domestic flight does not leave until the following morning, and as such we’re planning to spend a night in a (non-quarantine) airport hotel. None of the published information seems to imply that doesn’t count as an “essential” stopover on the way home, but I guess it is down to final call by the border officer? I’m sure it is going to be a common situation, whether due to scheduling or misconnects…anybody would interpret the published rules to allow for anything other than letting people to
continue the connecting flight home even if requiring an overnight stopover?
You should be ok if you are a Cdn citizen. Otherwise I would not want to connect in Canada.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
It makes a big difference if one can come back from vacation on Sunday night, and be able to go into work on Monday morning vs not.
So if its not a requirement, that would be awesome.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:45 pm

It makes a big difference if one can come back from vacation on Sunday night, and be able to go into work on Monday morning vs not.

I am still trying to find the definitive answer to this question of mandatory vs suggested quarantine for the first 24 hours until covid test result received.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:47 pm

Currently many businesses and organizations have screening questions that include, "Have you traveled outside of Canada in the past 14 days." That includes doctors, hospitals, churches, etc. I am wondering what will happen to this kind of screening as the federal rules change so that fully vaccinated travelers are allowed to skip quarantine. Many of those questions are asked on the basis of provincial guidelines. You can skip the quarantine hotel … but can you see the doctor or go to church?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Is pre-registering for the arrival test a new process? Its in the infographic but I had thought previously you just turned up at the airport upon arrival, got in line and took the test then.
Bogwoppit likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.