Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:50 am

All the information I’ve seen on today’s Canadian announcement is about Canada. Has anyone seen anything that confirms the US side of the border. Is it changing or is it status quo. Looking for references here not opinions.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
Blair's tweet mention in coordination with the US, which implies the extension on their side too.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
ok, but this still doesnt mean hotel jails wont be ending for vaxxed air arrivals, right?

Trying to remain hopeful.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok, but this still doesnt mean hotel jails wont be ending for vaxxed air arrivals, right?

Trying to remain hopeful.
Hotel jails will end - as of early July. They've been fairly consistent with that in all of their messaging. And now it's clear they're going to use the ArriveCAN app to semi-verify vaccination status.

All of the details around that (what kind of testing will they require, what about children under 12, precise timing) hopefully we'll know Monday.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Ruling came out today that mandatory quarantine hotels are, indeed, constitutional

https://www.jccf.ca/wp-content/uploa...eid=0f7d04925a

Half expected this; testing if something is or isn't constitutional is a high bar to jump over.

I sort of wish the JCCF shifted their approach and went after the rules on fundamental soundness. As expert panels have suggested closing the program as they didn't find scientific merit for them, it would be easy to argue that the rules are arbitrary (especially as the hotels are not priced at market rate).

However, I do note that the judge seemed to agree that the 'black site' version of quarantine hotels (contracted hotels managed by PHAC where you are dragged away to if you don't come with a quarantine plan) are unconstitutional.

Last edited by smes; Jun 18, 2021 at 11:20 am
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by smes
Ruling came out today that mandatory quarantine hotels are, indeed, constitutional

https://www.jccf.ca/wp-content/uploa...eid=0f7d04925a

Half expected this; testing if something is or isn't constitutional is a high bar to jump over.

However, I do note that the judge seemed to agree that the 'black site' version of quarantine hotels (contracted hotels managed by PHAC where you are dragged away to if you don't come with a quarantine plan) are unconstitutional.
Feels like judges in Canada are less courageous than their counterparts in US when determining citizen's constitutional right.
LETTERBOY, leoo and jackmaninov like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Originally Posted by a5un
Feels like judges in Canada are less courageous than their counterparts in US when determining citizen's constitutional right.
Keep in mind, there's also a lawyer (David Anber from Ontario. Check him out on Twitter, he's awesome) challenging the constitutionality of enforcement vs the hotel stay itself.

From what I gather his argument is that the use of the Contraventions Act isn't proper because it leaves gaping holes in Alberta and Quebec. The program won't accomplish its goal if you have half the arrival airports (Calgary, Montreal) not enforcing things.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Quarantine hotel will be dead as of June 22
Bogwoppit, gei and oreomilkshake like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Given your track record I'd say that's cause for celebration.

Edit: wait, for everyone? Also during today's press conference Trudeau blew off a Star reporter's question about hotels (with respect to the Panel recommendation) twice and then seemed to say that hotel jail works great.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by bambinomartino; Jun 18, 2021 at 12:43 pm
Old Jun 18, 2021, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Given your track record I'd say that's cause for celebration.

Edit: wait, for everyone? Also during today's press conference Trudeau blew off a Star reporter's question about hotels (with respect to the Panel recommendation) twice and then seemed to say that hotel jail works great.
Lol as if he would openly say it didn't. We'll see in a few days I guess.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
I have a data point on this too - a friend returning home (on June 16th) was split from her partner (his PCR test came back with a re-test so he had to rebook for a later flight) and when she explained her situation to the PHAC officer they told her that he should delay his flight a few more days since the program will be gone anyways.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC SE
I'm sure he will never admit it was a futile program or that it was anything less than fully successful. He'll just say we've progressed enough that it's no longer necessary.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I'm sure he will never admit it was a futile program or that it was anything less than fully successful. He'll just say we've progressed enough that it's no longer necessary.
By the end of next month, everyone will be able to have both doses and public opinion will change quickly from fear to hope and ambition. The government is pivoting as quickly as possible before they lose control of public opinion.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by darkmemoria
I have a data point on this too - a friend returning home (on June 16th) was split from her partner (his PCR test came back with a re-test so he had to rebook for a later flight) and when she explained her situation to the PHAC officer they told her that he should delay his flight a few more days since the program will be gone anyways.
This is great corroboration. I have posted this bit before: When the pre-arrival test was first announced in general terms on Dec 30, a (2 separate actually) CBSA phone agent(s) knew and told me the effective date was more than a week away, days before that date was made public.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 1:46 pm

This is great corroboration. I have posted this bit before: When the pre-arrival test was first announced in general terms on Dec 30, a (2 separate actually) CBSA phone agent(s) knew and told me the effective date was more than a week away, days before that date was made public.
The only thing that scares me is that Ontario is still pushing for closed borders, quarantine hotels, etc. Which hurts federal plans but they'll probably do it anyway.
bambinomartino likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.