Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Of course they have...
Lets see how this affects removal of jails and/or the promised quarantine reduction for fully vaxxed people.

Tam said the variant should be making everyone more cautious about easing restrictions until at least 75 per cent of eligible Canadians are fully vaccinated.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Tam said the variant should be making everyone more cautious about easing restrictions until at least 75 per cent of eligible Canadians are fully vaccinated.
I don't quite follow Tam here. Data show that vaccines are about just as effective against the Delta variant as they are against the Alpha variant.

If the goal is to get more people fully vaccinated, fine. Make it easy for people to get their second dose within a month of getting their first.

If the goal is to prevent the spread of the Delta variant, remind people to continue to practice what we know works - masks, social distancing, frequent handwashing, etc. Tests and contact tracing to supplement it.

I think she is underestimating how difficult it will be to get from 50 to 75%, or 75 to 90% (eventually) compared to 0 to 25% or 25 to 50%. This is so clear from the US situation. Some people just aren't going to get vaccinated. Given that she's now said the goal is 75% of eligibles to be fully vaccinated, I wouldn't be surprised if it shifts to 90% next month. Perhaps the real goal is to "open" at the beginning of the school year, and the real % vaccination isn't as much of a factor. Once things open, the limelight will shift away from Tam & co., and I wonder if that is motivating some of their decision-making.

Oh right, requiring Canadians to quarantine in a hotel for 3 days doesn't encourage more people in Canada to get vaccinated. These returning Canadians are most likely fully vaccinated abroad and are tested before and on arrival. A lot of them seem to be returning to see family that they haven't seen for more than a year... they aren't trying to throw a COVID party.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
For those of you who thought anything will change anytime soon, here is a bucket of cold water, and a shift in goalposts.

The best we can hope for in the near future is for them to follow up on cancelling jails for fully vaxxed returning Canadians

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...us-border.html

Trudeau has already shown reluctance to lift border restrictions, setting the two-dose vaccination threshold for the general population at 75 per cent before considering opening the border. Currently, fewer than 15 per cent of Canadians are fully vaccinated.
supervillian and jackmaninov like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rankourabu
For those of you who thought anything will change anytime soon, here is a bucket of cold water, and a shift in goalposts.

The best we can hope for in the near future is for them to follow up on cancelling jails for fully vaxxed returning Canadians

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...us-border.html

Trudeau has already shown reluctance to lift border restrictions, setting the two-dose vaccination threshold for the general population at 75 per cent before considering opening the border. Currently, fewer than 15 per cent of Canadians are fully vaccinated.
The border certainly won't be wide open for anyone anytime soon but you'll see some good changes soon. These talking points are all about letting people know they need to get vaccinated ASAP if they want a return to normal. And we'll hit that target by end of next month. You'll see an announcement about their reopening plans soon. Be patient.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
For Canadians, all we need is the end of the quarantine for vaccinated travelers and if the USA open unilaterally we are good to go. US citizens wanting to go in Canada may have to wait for a while, however...
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
My recollection is that the OIC re US border closure end Monday (21 June). Has anyone heard any update about US land border reopening?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bartolo
My recollection is that the OIC re US border closure end Monday (21 June). Has anyone heard any update about US land border reopening?
On the Tuesday update conference call - Dominic LeBlanc made a comment about a meeting today with the provincial health ministers, and a comment that it would be reasonable to expect a plan announced before the 21st (even if things didn't change until July). Trudeau usually speaks about COVID on Fridays - I wonder if we'll see a more firm plan tomorrow.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ywgckp
On the Tuesday update conference call - Dominic LeBlanc made a comment about a meeting today with the provincial health ministers, and a comment that it would be reasonable to expect a plan announced before the 21st (even if things didn't change until July). Trudeau usually speaks about COVID on Fridays - I wonder if we'll see a more firm plan tomorrow.
The Prime Minster’s schedule for today confirms a meeting with all the Premiers.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
The Prime Minster’s schedule for today confirms a meeting with all the Premiers.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was leaked later today then - we might have a much better outline by the end of the day.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ywgckp
I wouldn't be surprised if it was leaked later today then - we might have a much better outline by the end of the day.
No way the border opens on June 21st but they'll announce a plan soon. They need to set all their ducks in a row over the summer before they call elections in September
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Let’s hope there is good news.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fir...july-1.6070344

headed in the right direction!
Old Jun 18, 2021, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
The border certainly won't be wide open for anyone anytime soon but you'll see some good changes soon. These talking points are all about letting people know they need to get vaccinated ASAP if they want a return to normal. And we'll hit that target by end of next month. You'll see an announcement about their reopening plans soon. Be patient.
Are you leaking/suggesting that it will be the end of July before hotel jail is waived for vaccinated travelers??
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:26 am

From Bill Blair this morning - an extension of the US border closure through July 21, and an announcement that more details on entry to Canada for vaccinated travellers will be released on Monday.

Old Jun 18, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
To add to the bad news, "Chief Justice of the Federal Court upholds constitutionality of hotel quarantine program, saying pandemics require “sacrifices” of liberty."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.