Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Planning to cross by land in a couple of weeks for 2 days, I'm a Canadian citizen (fully vaccinated) living in the US. AFAIK all I need is a negative PCR and proof of vaccination uploaded on ArriveCAN, right?

How does testing on arrival work at a land border if the duration of the stay is a couple of days?
Old Jun 27, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by redadeco
Planning to cross by land in a couple of weeks for 2 days, I'm a Canadian citizen (fully vaccinated) living in the US. AFAIK all I need is a negative PCR and proof of vaccination uploaded on ArriveCAN, right?

How does testing on arrival work at a land border if the duration of the stay is a couple of days?
Yes. You will be tested once more at the border. We are not yet perfectly clear on whether it will be demanded or recommended (or neither) that you remain at your first destination until you receive the results of that at-the-border test, but it seems unlikely that you will. You should also have a quarantine plan you can tell them in case your at-the-border test comes back positive (though in your case it seems likely that you’d just return to the US).
redadeco likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Yes. You will be tested once more at the border. We are not yet perfectly clear on whether it will be demanded or recommended (or neither) that you remain at your first destination until you receive the results of that at-the-border test, but it seems unlikely that you will. You should also have a quarantine plan you can tell them in case your at-the-border test comes back positive (though in your case it seems likely that you’d just return to the US).
The word quarantine is the one I'm dreading the most and what prevented me from crossing the border since the pandemic started, I had family come over but this would be my first crossing post-covid.
If I understand it correctly I would be free to go after taking the test at the border before the results are known?
Old Jun 27, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by redadeco
If I understand it correctly I would be free to go after taking the test at the border before the results are known?
That has not yet been made perfectly clear. We expect we will be free to go after taking the test but before learning the results, but it's possible we will be told otherwise at the border when the new regimen begins.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 1:05 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Just as a tidbit of info. Looking at flight loads - July 6 will be a record travel day into Canada. Many flights (especially from USA) are 100% booked out and coming from international destinations there is little availability in business class. This will test the limits of the airport capacity as staffing is so much reduced.

Let's see how this goes! I expect that for July 21 - there will be a general opening for other vaccinated people who are otherwise not allowed to travel to Canada now.

Looking forward to my trip in September . .
Old Jun 29, 2021, 1:07 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Just as a tidbit of info. Looking at flight loads - July 6 will be a record travel day into Canada. Many flights (especially from USA) are 100% booked out and coming from international destinations there is little availability in business class. This will test the limits of the airport capacity as staffing is so much reduced.

Let's see how this goes! I expect that for July 21 - there will be a general opening for other vaccinated people who are otherwise not allowed to travel to Canada now.

Sadly, I am flying in that day. I will report back on how it goes.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
zrh2yvr Finkface yep, July 6 is insane. Not helped by the fact it’s a Tuesday which has light TATL schedules to begin with. And yes, I’m also flying back on that date. FRA-YYZ for me, already pretty much full in C.
zrh2yvr likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:28 am

Looking forward to my trip in September.
And July 5 could be a record low day. July 6 also coincidentally is the conclusion of both the Canada Day and July 4 four-day long weekend.
zrh2yvr likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 4:55 am

Question Domestic connections

Any details on how domestic connections will work after July 5, for example LGA-YYZ/YUL-YOW? Will AC rebook our connection if the test on arrival takes longer than expected?
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:18 am

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Originally Posted by YZF_Flyer
Any details on how domestic connections will work after July 5, for example LGA-YYZ/YUL-YOW? Will AC rebook our connection if the test on arrival takes longer than expected?
This is the questions a lot of people ( myself included) want to know..... but no ones seems to know for sure.
jlisi984 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by YZF_Flyer
likely it’ll be treated the same as IRROPS. But with reduced schedules and relatively full flights it could be a rather large issue… one of the reasons I didn’t book FRA YYZ YYC with 1.5h for more $ than with 6h.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

I'm a Canadian living in NYC and immediately after the quarantine restrictions were relaxed I booked a weekend trip to Banff for mid July. Within days, the same tickets (roundtrip on AC in Y) went up roughly 2x from $300 USD to >$600. As of today that same itinerary is $985!
Old Jul 1, 2021, 2:06 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by asdf098
I'm a Canadian living in NYC and immediately after the quarantine restrictions were relaxed I booked a weekend trip to Banff for mid July. Within days, the same tickets (roundtrip on AC in Y) went up roughly 2x from $300 USD to >$600. As of today that same itinerary is $985!
My flight home, booked the minute they announced the July 6 date, was just under $400. The following day, it went up to $3,600 for July 6, 7, 8, 9. Now, it is completely sold out.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:28 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by asdf098
Originally Posted by Finkface
My flight home, booked the minute they announced the July 6 date, was just under $400. The following day, it went up to $3,600 for July 6, 7, 8, 9. Now, it is completely sold out.
That actually makes sense

With hotel requirement gone for citizens, many who waited bought flights, with cheap buckets sold out first, and apparently even the expensive ones gone now.

Now if prices were to remain that high ......

And $300 r/t from NYC to YYC for $300 Never seen it ex DFW (or IAH) that cheap in over thirty years flying to YYC, YVR or YYJ.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yeah i see the new addition. Complicates going from vacations straight to work - as that can be easily verfied....
Just to follow up regarding this discussion: there will be no requirement to isolate or quarantine if you are fully vaccinated once your day 1 test has been taken. If you test positive, you need to report it to your local public health authorities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.