FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022
Old Jul 7, 2021, 4:24 pm
newzenith1

Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok to be clear, no human actually looks at your vax certificate/test results until you arrive in Canada?
For check in, you just show your arrivecan receipt? Or do airlines bother checking vax certificate?

I was talking to my in laws yesterday who are in their early 60s and not totally tech illiterate.
When I told them about all the hoops and apps and uploads and tests etc etc, their eyes glazed over.
I can only imagine how hard to navigate all this is for really old people who dont know how to internet.
For the elderly people or tech-challenged, they should always opt for on-site arrival test if they can, instead of getting the day-1 home test kit, unless you live in the arrival city and don't need a second flight to connect to your home city. The remote session for taking the sample at home is too hard for people without a proper computer, or knowledge to install Microsoft Teams on their computer or their phone.

I'm pretty tech savvy, but don't use Microsoft Teams often. So when I was waiting on my session for a long time (because the observer logged in 45 minutes late), I've been really doubting my internet connection, my camera, and my microphone and speaker, and thought it was my fault that caused the observer not able to connect to the remote appointment. It was very stressful, because on the government handout it was stated specifically if for whatever reason you are not able to finish the arrival test, then you're still subject to the 14-day at home quarantine, which I did not want to happen to me due to some technical difficulties.

However, be ready for the long lines at the on-site arrival test, or any other lines (e.g. if you didn't pre-register for the arrival test, or if you don't have a Nexus card and there's a full flight of passengers before you in the regular customs line), so to be on the safe side, you may want to leave at lest 2 hours for your connection flight, so that you will have enough time to receive your on-site arrival test.

Last edited by newzenith1; Jul 7, 2021 at 4:31 pm