Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Perhaps going against the spirit of the regulation, but correct me if I am wrong, I should be covered under the fully-vaccinated exemption even if I leave Canada before the 14-day window but return after it?

For example:
  • My second shot will be on July 10.
  • I leave for Mexico on July 15.
  • I return to Canada on July 25.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Fake Cheesecake
Perhaps going against the spirit of the regulation, but correct me if I am wrong, I should be covered under the fully-vaccinated exemption even if I leave Canada before the 14-day window but return after it?

For example:
You should have no issue. Those getting vaccinated outside of Canada are exempted, so there should be no issue for someone who left Canada at any point after receiving the vaccine. Obviously make sure your return date is after 14 days post vaccination.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
You should have no issue. Those getting vaccinated outside of Canada are exempted, .
I don’t understand this. Why would there be any distinction on location of vaccination??
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Fake Cheesecake

For example:
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
You should have no issue. Those getting vaccinated outside of Canada are exempted, so there should be no issue for someone who left Canada at any point after receiving the vaccine. Obviously make sure your return date is after 14 days post vaccination.
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I don’t understand this. Why would there be any distinction on location of vaccination??
If someone who is vaccinated outside of Canada is getting the exemption, then someone who is vaccinated in Canada would also get the exemption. I am just saying that it does not matter that OP is leaving 5 days after Dose 2 considering that those vaccinated outside of Canada are already outside of Canada.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Report: YYZ domestic connection experience

Want to share a quick report on my experience doing a domestic connection in YYZ today.
  • Flying LGA-YYZ-YYC, with a 2h 20min connection (scheduled arrival 6:25pm, departure 8:45pm).
  • Check-in at LGA asked for Covid test proof + vaccination card, but not ArriveCan. Interestingly, every passenger I saw was being asked the vaccination question, even though that's not a requirement for entry. Got a yellow sticker on passport (to show at gate later). Departed on time.
  • Actual gate arrival at YYZ: 6:33pm.
  • YYZ T1 is a zoo. After arriving at the gate, we were told we can't deplane because "the customs hall is full". Reports from FA that pax from other flights were waiting >1 hour just to deplane!
  • Eventually they let people with international connections, and later domestic connections, off the plane.
  • Customs hall is a mess. I used Nexus, but still waited for about 30-40 mins in a long line for Nexus holders. The non-Nexus line was even longer.
  • CBSA officer quickly verified Covid test results, CDC vaccination card, ArriveCan receipt. Asked basic questions about how long I'm staying and whether bringing anything in. Provided a handout and wrote "CNX" to signify I'm connecting. Put a green sticker on passport. Noone asked to see these again.
  • Out of customs at 7:25pm. Out of baggage claim around 7:35pm.
  • Home testing kits were handed out after baggage claim when exiting into the terminal. I did follow the signs for connections, so I'm not sure if this was the case only for connections or for everyone.
  • Baggage has to be rechecked at the domestic departures hall. They're not transferring bags (supposedly due to covid, I'm not sure if they did before on domestic connections).
  • D & E gates security was commingled and was very slow. Waited in line from 7:40pm until 8:15pm (flight already boarding by this point). There did seem to be a premium security line which was much shorter, but I am in Y and don't have status on AC/*A.
  • Eventually got to the gate at 8:20-25, with boarding already well underway.
  • Total time from gate arrival to boarding gate: 1 hour 50 minutes.
Based on this experience I wouldn't recommend to anyone a connection time less than 2.5 hours, maybe at least 3 hours to be safe. I had a lot of things go right (on-time departure from LGA on a Friday evening, quick taxi to gate at Pearson, and Nexus) but even then I just barely made my connection flight. Now sitting onboard AC 157 to YYC and looking forward to a weekend of hiking in Banff!
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by asdf098
Want to share a quick report on my experience doing a domestic connection in YYZ today.
  • Flying LGA-YYZ-YYC, with a 2h 20min connection (scheduled arrival 6:25pm, departure 8:45pm).
  • Check-in at LGA asked for Covid test proof + vaccination card, but not ArriveCan. Interestingly, every passenger I saw was being asked the vaccination question, even though that's not a requirement for entry. Got a yellow sticker on passport (to show at gate later). Departed on time.
  • YYZ T1 is a zoo. After arriving at the gate, we were told we can't deplane because "the customs hall is full". Reports from FA that pax from other flights were waiting >1 hour just to deplane!
  • Eventually they let people with international connections, and later domestic connections, off the plane.
  • Customs hall is a mess. I used Nexus, but still waited for about 30-40 mins in a long line for Nexus holders. The non-Nexus line was even longer.
  • CBSA officer quickly verified Covid test results, CDC vaccination card, ArriveCan receipt. Asked basic questions about how long I'm staying and whether bringing anything in. Provided a handout and wrote "CNX" to signify I'm connecting. Put a green sticker on passport. Noone asked to see these again.
  • Home testing kits were handed out after baggage claim when exiting into the terminal. I did follow the signs for connections, so I'm not sure if this was the case only for connections or for everyone.
  • Baggage has to be rechecked at the domestic departures hall. They're not transferring bags (supposedly due to covid, I'm not sure if they did before on domestic connections).
  • D & E gates security was commingled and was very slow. Waited in line from 7:40pm until 8:15pm (flight already boarding by this point). There did seem to be a premium security line which was much shorter, but I am in Y and don't have status on AC/*A.
Based on this experience I wouldn't recommend to anyone a connection time less than 2.5 hours, maybe at least 3 hours to be safe. I had a lot of things go right (on-time departure from LGA on a Friday evening, quick taxi to gate at Pearson, and Nexus) but even then I just barely made my connection flight. Now sitting onboard AC 157 to YYC and looking forward to a weekend of hiking in Banff!
Thanks for the detailed report. Every time I have flown in to YYZ since covid started it was empty, my Nexus was irrelevant and the Customs officers looked bored out of their mind. Good to see things slowly coming back to 2019. I prefer to wait and do the covid test at YYZ so I can use it to get back into USA.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 2:05 am

Recent report. Arrived around noon at YVR. Don’t have Nexus, waited about 30 min for the passport and documents check. As we were later guided to the testing area, the agent there tried to give us the take home tests. After reading the stories about technical issues and delays related to those, I requested on site testing. He reluctantly agreed, but supposedly only because there weren’t busy. As we are led to the testing tents, I see there are about a dozen or 2 nurses just hanging around, not having anyone to test. So that part was fairly quick. The nurse that tested me commented that I was “lucky” they sent me to do on-site testing since take home ones are such a hassle. Lucky is my middle name, my first name is Research Obsessed.

I can only imagine how much worse it would get in a busier time. The passport/doc check was incredibly slow and tedious, even after they get to you.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by asdf098
Thanks for your trip report! I'm planning a domestic transit in YYZ (or YUL). I don't have NEXUS so it sounds like I definitely need at least 3 hours. This won't be until August though so hopefully things will be slightly calmer.

Do you know if AC is willing to rebook flights in case of missed connections due to customs or testing delays?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:34 am

With the United Airlines "Travel Ready" feature the ArriveCAN info submitted with a V was rejected and a follow up submission with an I was accepted.

As others report the ArriveCAN app initially marks you as V and then it changes to I.

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
which is better V or I???
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:17 pm

United Airlines had everyone line up at the podium to have documents reviewed and a stamp applied to their boarding pass when complete. No boarding without the stamp. In my case, information had been electronically uploaded to my travel record via the United app, so they checked paper records for vaccination and 72-hour test results. Same for the person in front of me, but it may have been different questions for those in differnt situations. There was no annoucnement, just a long line, and passergers realized it was smart to join the line when they got to the gate. This is the same procedure United used to check the Candian Government passport requirement was met (before switching to passoport checks when you scan your boarding card). This is one data point and it may not make sense to generalize from this experience.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
They wouldn't check proof of vaccination at check-in because it's not required to enter Canada.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:52 pm

Thanks for a very helpful trip repot -- the Flyertalk community has definately improved my quality of life over the years. As you say the experience would have been different without advance prep.

One thig to add: page 2 of the document states you should keep paperwork for 14 days -- and that you may recieve notifications from ArriveCAN (however you are not required to send in reports). Also (at the bottom of page 1) the requirement is to wear a mask in public settings for 14 days and keep a list of close contacts and locations visited.

On the topic of folks re-selling the arrival document, it's only a short term strategy. A paper document that doesn't belong to you may get you out of the airport, but it does not change your status as someone who needs to quarantine. For example, the paper document gets you waived through the 8-day test handout, but it won't take away the requirement that you actually get an 8 day test. What are you going to on day 8 when you don't have a kit and the people at 833-641-0343 are calling?

Originally Posted by Finkface
It would have been a whole lot longer without Nexus, if I wasn’t organized and had everything ready, and especially being pre-registered with Lifelabs.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Transborder -> Domestic Connection at YUL, July 10

I arrived to YUL on AC 502 and I was connecting to AC423.
The first step was the kiosk. There was no wait for the kiosks for us, so this part of the process was fast. The next step, interview with the CBSA officer was just as fast. He asked where I'm coming from and what was I doing there. He scanned the passport, looked at the computer screen and affixed a blue label to my passport. When I asked about the covid test, he said it will be done outside, regardless if I'm
connecting or not. I was handed no paperwork at all. The big disappointment was that there is no direct TB->Domestic connection at YUL now. So I had to collect my checked bags and leave the customs area. The regular connection belts aren't working either. One has to take the checked bags to the departure level. When walking from the immigration to the luggage belts I was asked to show my passport. The person asking for it was very satisfied with the blue sticker. After collecting my bags (with some complications), I walked out of customs. Outside I was asked if I'm connecting. When I said yes, I was taken to a desk where I was handed a Switch Labs test kit and I was sent on my merry way.
It took me about 50 minutes to arrive to my gate from the moment my flight from ORD docked at the gate. It may seem a lot, however I spent some time waiting for my checked bags and then ho do the customs paperwork for the bag that didn't arrive. Apparently, 3 hours is not enough time to transfer a priority labeled bag from one flight to the other at ORD.
redadeco likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:12 pm

Confusing ArriveCAN Notification: Is my Mother quarantined or not?

My mother arrived to Canada (Montreal) yesterday fully vaccinated and not quarantined at the airport. Today she got this email from ArriveCAN. Is she quarantined, or does she simply need to report symptoms if any arise? (I can't post images of the email due to new account. )

Le signalement de l'état des symptômes est nécessaire

En tant que voyageur entré récemment au Canada, vous devez faire la déclaration suivante de vos symptômes au gouvernement du Canada chaque jour tout au long de votre période de quarantaine de 14 jours.

Ces renseignements seront utilisés pour faciliter le suivi pour assurer la conformité aux directives de la santé publique.

Pour déclarer vos symptômes, veuillez utiliser l’outil d’auto-évaluation suivant:
(English version ***la version française précède***)

Symptoms Status Reporting Required

As a traveler that recently entered Canada, you must complete the following symptom reporting with the Government of Canada daily during your 14-day quarantine period.

This information will be used to support public health compliance follow-up.

For symptom reporting, please use the following self-assessment tool:
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:03 pm

I would ignore it. She will get these every day for 14 days. As long as she is vaccinated and her covid test upon arrival is negative she is good. I always get these even though I left Canada 1-2 days after I arrived. I just ignore them. The system is not sophisticated enough to distinguish between different groups of travellers.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckAmerican
My mother arrived to Canada (Montreal) yesterday fully vaccinated and not quarantined at the airport. Today she got this email from ArriveCAN. Is she quarantined, or does she simply need to report symptoms if any arise? (I can't post images of the email due to new account. )
I was also getting these and confused. But someone else said here that it says on p2 of the document they give you that you might, and can ignore them. I hadn't read or kept the document. I thought they would stop once the results of the entry test came back but they don't. I will ignore them as has been suggested by sydneyracquelle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.