Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:12 am

I wonder if the elimination of the 3-day hotel quarantine announced to start on August 9 includes the government-run quarantine hotels where people get dragged away to in unmarked vans if they don't have the correct entry test...
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: AC SE 100K 2MM, Accor Gold
YUL report

I flew BRU-YUL-YYC yesterday. Nexus, 2 vacs, carry-on only, J class. Still I just barely made the connection with a 2h connection time. YUL was a zoo with all sort of things going wrong e.g. the Nexus gate which is reached after the Nexus input/photo broke down. Huge line-ups. Then on the way out I was offered the "take-home" covid19 test kit but I said I preferred the YUL in situ test. That was allowed but Biron Health (for which I dutifully pre-registered) now runs this test on the 4th floor of the Marriott airport hotel which represents quite the walk back and forth. Biron also suffered some IT problems as my address in Calgary was not accepted for some reason. After sorting all this out and running the Olympic dash back to domestic security, there was another line-up. It all adds up and one wonders what will happen when TATL travel volumes will double in a few weeks as some predict.
andrew3000 and Stil like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by quandide
I flew BRU-YUL-YYC yesterday. Nexus, 2 vacs, carry-on only, J class. Still I just barely made the connection with a 2h connection time. YUL was a zoo with all sort of things going wrong e.g. the Nexus gate which is reached after the Nexus input/photo broke down. Huge line-ups. Then on the way out I was offered the "take-home" covid19 test kit but I said I preferred the YUL in situ test. That was allowed but Biron Health (for which I dutifully pre-registered) now runs this test on the 4th floor of the Marriott airport hotel which represents quite the walk back and forth. Biron also suffered some IT problems as my address in Calgary was not accepted for some reason. After sorting all this out and running the Olympic dash back to domestic security, there was another line-up. It all adds up and one wonders what will happen when TATL travel volumes will double in a few weeks as some predict.
Maybe TB volume will grow a bunch, but it’s still Canadians only from international until Sept. on August 9, it’s only US vaccinated that can come.

Also, suspect things will move more smoothly at that point since they are dropping the arrival test mandate. One less piece to the process.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Maybe TB volume will grow a bunch, but it’s still Canadians only from international until Sept. on August 9, it’s only US vaccinated that can come.
Indeed, somewhere in the press release it says they are using the US entry as time to sort out the kinks, perhaps with fewer pax given mostly (all?) single isle planes coming from US.

I did notice some UA planes finally flying to Canada later in the schedule.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Indeed, somewhere in the press release it says they are using the US entry as time to sort out the kinks, perhaps with fewer pax given mostly (all?) single isle planes coming from US.

I did notice some UA planes finally flying to Canada later in the schedule.
Not sure what ‘later’ means, but Unless that changed very recently, like overnight, at least, I didn’t see it. Saw ORD-YYZ still at 1 x CR5, IAH-YYZ at 1 x E75, I think 1 or 2 EWR-YYZ on UAX and no DEN/SFO-YYZ in mid-late October - that was yesterday. November they definitely have much more scheduled, but I think it’s pretty close to pre-pandemic and definitely UA hasn’t done the major November adjustments yet. I’m pretty sure they are not going to jump from 1 CR5 to 6 x mainline/UAX a day on ORD-YYZ.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Unmaxdemax
Are PCR test results in spanish accepted?
Strange, they demand English or French for proof of vaccination, but I don't see any mention of language for the PCR test.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by andrew3000
Strange, they demand English or French for proof of vaccination, but I don't see any mention of language for the PCR test.
My guess is that they realise that the translation may take longer than 72 hours, at which point the PCR Test expires.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 6:13 pm

Entry requirements for the fully vaccinated exemption

Fully vaccinated travellers must follow the entry requirements:
  • Pre-entry test required
  • Quarantine plan in case you don’t get the exemption
  • Arrival test
  • Requirements checklist

the quarantine plan is:You must therefore be prepared to quarantine for 14 days, in case you:
  • are symptomatic
  • don’t meet the requirements

that still necessitates a 14 day vacation from work (unless you can telework)

candid question, what if a trip with round trip tickets for a vaxxed are just 6 days apart? again this is 9th august go forward for vaxxed nonessential travel.

and a hotel booking of just 6 days, both would not meet the 14 day.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by abc5

Entry requirements for the fully vaccinated exemption

Fully vaccinated travellers must follow the entry requirements:
  • Pre-entry test required
  • Quarantine plan in case you don’t get the exemption
  • Arrival test
  • Requirements checklist

the quarantine plan is:You must therefore be prepared to quarantine for 14 days, in case you:
  • are symptomatic
  • don’t meet the requirements

that still necessitates a 14 day vacation from work (unless you can telework)

candid question, what if a trip with round trip tickets for a vaxxed are just 6 days apart? again this is 9th august go forward for vaxxed nonessential travel.

and a hotel booking of just 6 days, both would not meet the 14 day.
You can exit Canada at any time you wish. They are focused on you infecting people in Canada. They have zero interest in preventing you from ever leaving Canada. You might have to drive to USA as Canadian airports take your temperature at security upon departure and for USA air entries you need a negative covid test.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 6:53 pm

so it is acceptable if asked, that i will leave canada within the dates of the round trip if tested positive, not having any intent to stay 14 days anyway.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by abc5
so it is acceptable if asked, that i will leave canada within the dates of the round trip if tested positive, not having any intent to stay 14 days anyway.
My experience is they ask you no questions. Everything is done through ArriveCan app. Just list your destination in there. Any difference from the norm and they will treat you as ineligible. I came last week for 4 days. No one cared. Most visitors to Canada pre and post—August 9 are not staying 14+ days. Again you can leave Canada at any time.
abc5 likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jul 21, 2021 at 7:51 pm
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:27 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Not sure what ‘later’ means, but Unless that changed very recently, like overnight, at least, I didn’t see it. Saw ORD-YYZ still at 1 x CR5, IAH-YYZ at 1 x E75, I think 1 or 2 EWR-YYZ on UAX and no DEN/SFO-YYZ in mid-late October - that was yesterday. November they definitely have much more scheduled, but I think it’s pretty close to pre-pandemic and definitely UA hasn’t done the major November adjustments yet. I’m pretty sure they are not going to jump from 1 CR5 to 6 x mainline/UAX a day on ORD-YYZ.
Pretty sure ORD-YYZ was never six times a day

What I do see that I did not see a week or two ago are UA flights to YVR from both DEN and IAH, two of the common connecting points between here and Texas

Still no service to YYJ .... no MLL either ..... guess this place is still too small.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
My experience is they ask you no questions. Everything is done through ArriveCan app. Just list your destination in there. Any difference from the norm and they will treat you as ineligible. I came last week for 4 days. No one cared. Most visitors to Canada pre and post—August 9 are not staying 14+ days. Again you can leave Canada at any time.
A few follow-up questions:

- first, can you clarify what you mean by "Just list your destination in there. Any difference from the norm and they will treat you as ineligible."?

- Also, If I am fully vaccinated, my trip starts Aug. 9th and ends Aug. 16th, I have completed my pre-arrival test, and my trip is to Montreal for a few days and Quebec City for a few days. That whole trip is less then the 14 day quarantine period. how would I fill out the ArriveCan quarantine plan? I haven't seen the form in ArriveCan itself so wasn't sure if you have to attest that you can be at a location for 14 days?

- Also, if I do test positive on the above trip via the random testing am I required to stay in Canada until I test negative? How does that work?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by stlhoosier
A few follow-up questions:

- first, can you clarify what you mean by "Just list your destination in there. Any difference from the norm and they will treat you as ineligible."?

- Also, If I am fully vaccinated, my trip starts Aug. 9th and ends Aug. 16th, I have completed my pre-arrival test, and my trip is to Montreal for a few days and Quebec City for a few days. That whole trip is less then the 14 day quarantine period. how would I fill out the ArriveCan quarantine plan? I haven't seen the form in ArriveCan itself so wasn't sure if you have to attest that you can be at a location for 14 days?

- Also, if I do test positive on the above trip via the random testing am I required to stay in Canada until I test negative? How does that work?

Thanks for your help!
arrivecan just asks for an address where you will be staying in Canada. There is nowhere to put in a length of time if you are visiting for a day or a year. Maybe this will change but arrivecan was prepared for Cdn residents not visitors so the address is typically your home address. Maybe this will change on 8/9. If you test positive you must quarantine while you are in Canada. Nothing states that you must stay in Canada. They are focused on preventing infection spread within Canada. If you decide to drive to USA then you can no longer infect people in Canada. Flying to USA might be a challenge as you would need a negative covid test and have to attest in writing that you have not recently tested positive, Cdn airport security takes your temperature and the airline will ask you about any recent tests so you would most likely have to drive to USA. In my 20+ US land entries since covid started never once have they asked about a covid test so unless you are symptomatic it will likely never come up.
seawolf, stlhoosier and OSSYULYYZ like this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jul 23, 2021 at 11:03 am
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by lily23
Adding my YVR experience - fully vaccinated, landed at 5 pm from SEA on Saturday, and the whole process also took about an hour from landing to getting out of the airport and into an Uber.
Wait, YVR and the local politicians allow Uber now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.