Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2021, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
If flying between US and Canada (vv), you need to show a negative test in both directions taken no more than 72 hours of each flight's departure.
Canada is 72 hours. USA is 3 calendar days which can technically be as long as 95 hours.
seawolf and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:10 am

Programs: AC SE
What’s the current rule about using the outbound test as an inbound test? In other words, if I fly to Europe and back within 72 hours of taking a test in Canada, can I use that same test to return? Or must I best tested again before departing Europe? (And for the sake of the question, let’s assume it’s a European country that requires me to show a negative PCR test.)
Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
What’s the current rule about using the outbound test as an inbound test? In other words, if I fly to Europe and back within 72 hours of taking a test in Canada, can I use that same test to return? Or must I best tested again before departing Europe? (And for the sake of the question, let’s assume it’s a European country that requires me to show a negative PCR test.)
I have consistently used my YYZ switch health arrival test to fly back to USA within 3 days with no problems. I know Canada requires a US based test for land entries to circumvent people transiting in USA from India, etc. but a flight CAN>EUR (or anywhere)>CAN within 72 hours should easily allow a Canada-based test.
TheCanuckian likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jul 20, 2021 at 7:12 am
Old Jul 20, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I have consistently used my YYZ arrival test to fly back to USA within 3 days with no problems. I know Canada requires a US based test for land entries to circumvent people transiting in USA from India, etc. but a flight CAN>EUR (or anywhere)>CAN within 72 hours should easily allow a Canada-based test.
It's to circumvent the legacy hotel Q requirement - - i.e. fly to USA from Mexcio with Mexico PCR - then take taxi through at Buffalo - - - required to get US test to make it just a bit more inconvenient . . . . .
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have consistently used my YYZ arrival test to fly back to USA within 3 days with no problems. I know Canada requires a US based test for land entries to circumvent people transiting in USA from India, etc. but a flight CAN>EUR (or anywhere)>CAN within 72 hours should easily allow a Canada-based test.
Is this the Switch Health arrival test? Would it work on take home tests too?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by jetplane86
Is this the Switch Health arrival test? Would it work on take home tests too?
yes.
zrh2yvr likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: Mileage plus
Are PCR test results in spanish accepted?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:21 am

I have consistently used my YYZ switch health arrival test to fly back to USA within 3 days with no problems. I know Canada requires a US based test for land entries to circumvent people transiting in USA from India, etc. but a flight CAN>EUR (or anywhere)>CAN within 72 hours should easily allow a Canada-based test.
you can't transit the us from india unless you are a us citizen or pr or are in one of the qualifying categories.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Been reading the past pages of this thread. Sounds like YYZ can be a hit or miss with connections and CBSA/COVID processing even with NEXUS.

Looking at LGA-YYZ-YUL next month after Americans are allowed in which AC is selling with a 70 minute connection arriving YYZ at Monday 2PM. Is this a disaster waiting to happen?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:12 pm

Been reading the past pages of this thread. Sounds like YYZ can be a hit or miss with connections and CBSA/COVID processing even with NEXUS.

Looking at LGA-YYZ-YUL next month after Americans are allowed in which AC is selling with a 70 minute connection arriving YYZ at Monday 2PM. Is this a disaster waiting to happen?
Covid tests are typically offered to go at YYZ for those with connections. Do u have checked luggage?? Nexus?? Young kids?? Wheelchair?? My noon arrival last week was empty but 5-6pm they closed the Customs hall due to overcrowding. Customs agent takes just a few seconds as their job now is just to confirm the arrivecan info rather than ask you questions like the old days.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Covid tests are typically offered to go at YYZ for those with connections. Do u have checked luggage?? Nexus?? Young kids?? Wheelchair?? My noon arrival last week was empty but 5-6pm they closed the Customs hall due to overcrowding. Customs agent takes just a few seconds as their job now is just to confirm the arrivecan info rather than ask you questions like the old days.
Thanks. NEXUS with just carry-on.

I’m also considering driving just to avoid having to do a test in order to return to US.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 5:30 pm

Thanks. NEXUS with just carry-on.

I’m also considering driving just to avoid having to do a test in order to return to US.
If you are staying in Canada for 4 days or less you can use the Pearson arrival test to fly back to USA.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, Hilton, AA, UA
Originally Posted by airoli
No you don't. Until August 8th, as a fully vaccinated Canadian (or resident), you will need to take a test upon arrival, but you do not need to quarantine until you get the results.
Thanks so much for this. Incredibly helpful.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: FB Gold
I wanted to share the trip report that my wife relayed to me after flying into YVR from CDG yesterday with my daughter:
My wife is fully vaccinated, my daughter is 11 and hence not vaccinated at all.
They landed at YVR just after 8pm and they completed the entire process and left the airport in under an hour. The line to see the CBSA was just a few minutes long and the only questions they were asked was if the city they had put in the ArriveCan quarantine plan was their final destination, and if they were travelling there tonight (to which they answered that they were going the next morning, which was no issue for them).

They were both given the same "fully vaccinated" information sheet that was posted earlier in the thread. After getting their luggage, they went for the arrival test, and my wife said that having done the pre-registration let them skip a long line. They had the tests done there at the airport rather than as take home ones. After that, we expected to get a day 8 test for my daughter but the people handing them out looked at the papers and said she didn't need one since she doesn't need to quarantine.

That last bit was surprising because we were expecting that my daughter would have to do the 14 day quarantine and the day 8 test, because the change in rules on that was going to be on Aug 9, but maybe they've moved it up. We'll see if we get any phone calls from PHAC, but right now all the paperwork we were given says she doesn't need to.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Adding my YVR experience - fully vaccinated, landed at 5 pm from SEA on Saturday, and the whole process also took about an hour from landing to getting out of the airport and into an Uber. I would definitely not have wanted to be sitting near the back of the plane and end up in a longer line, or landing at a time with other international arrivals. Even though there were only ever 3-4 people ahead of me in each step (CBSA, pre-registered line to get requisition form for test, line to get the test), processing seemed really slow and the bulk of the time was spent waiting in a line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.