Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:27 pm

Programs: Mileage plus
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Nearly six months after starting this thread, and after nearly six months away from home, I finally returned home last Thursday (well, specifically I landed in Canada on Thursday).

FRA YUL YYC

FRA-YUL was 1h delayed leaving, waiting for connecting passengers; flight was boarded by bus in FRA (ugh) possibly due to aircraft arrival as a cargo-only flight. We gained some time flying, so we were slightly over 30 minutes late on the gate in Montreal. Concierge was waiting for us in jetbridge. There were many flights that had arrived at the same time, but we didn't have to wait on the aircraft nor before customs hall. NEXUS machines did not work (second time in YUL with this issue, not sure why) so we had to go to standard kiosks. Some waiting but not terrible, in the meantime I did notice that the top was backed up and they weren't letting people down. Officer inspected vaccination records (given that the EU Passport doesn't show date of first dose, I downloaded 1st and 2nd dose documents from the e-health portal) and the Covid test.

Baggage delivery was a huge mess, most people from the flight had not been processed through immigration, so the belt got stuck, priority bags were far from first, etc. By this time it was T-20 to our YYC departure, so we knew we had missed it. Line to exit customs was through the entire YUL baggage hall (that's a VERY long line), NEXUS was still to the right. Officers did ask whether we had NEXUS and why we didn't use it (different receipt printout, obviously), but didn't protest further. Then we got the connection test kit, went to concierge office to rebook (for the next day) and got vouchers for the Marriott in-terminal. Quite hilarious we were staying at the same Marriott that would have cost us 1500 CAD for the one-night stay a few weeks earlier. Did the "at-home" tests at the Marriott, decided on Uber for pickup as I thought that would be easier than Purolator to the hotel (plenty of experience with missed courier deliveries, etc.) but it then turned out Uber does not pick up packages at the airport (who knew?). We were going into town anyways, so I took the tests with me. Tried to order Uber pickup in town and it wanted to charge me the $50 for delivery. Resigned, I walked to a Purolator store where I was told they did not accept these boxes, that they're not allowed to and I'm "not supposed to be there". Not sure what that was about. Finally I figured out that with my Uber profile set to "business" it wasn't applying the voucher, but it worked on personal. Got the results back two days later.
YUL was a disaster the next morning, a huge lineup to wait for the aggravating & pointless temperature check before security, no priority/NEXUS. Crowds everywhere. Terrible service on YUL-YYC to top it off, but I was home after six months.
BTW I'm also getting the ArriveCAN symptom notifications/emails, which I'm ignoring. I will also get to test out leaving and possibly re-entering Canada within the initial 14 day period. Wish me luck.
but you can leave Canada during the initial 14 days period right, as long as you have no symptoms?

arriving from Mex tomorrow, flying to CDG next monday…
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
pleasure Perhaps the CBSA officers are (getting) accustomed to the EU Vaccine Certificate but technically it does not fulfil the requirements. I would screenshot the app you are referring to and print that out (in English) with the backup Portuguese and of course the certificate as well. In this case too much documentation cannot hurt, because the alternative is a 2-week quarantine + hotel stay for $$$.

lcohen999 I would simply lie. Lots of these things are outdated, just like the masking and social distancing signs here in AB (quite a shock to somebody coming from Europe!). If you don’t want to lie, I think some of the airport tests don’t ask you the 14-day question or you can do one of the virtual tests referred to a few pages back.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Unmaxdemax
but you can leave Canada during the initial 14 days period right, as long as you have no symptoms?

arriving from Mex tomorrow, flying to CDG next monday…
Yes you can leave of course. Always could.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Humb878
Does anyone know what it looks like for unvaxxed cdn travellers coming back into Canada from intl. Are we allowed to quarantine at home? What needs to be done prior to arrival?
See https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...nada-checklist

If you wait until Monday, you won't have to stay at a hotel for 3 days.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Yes you can leave of course. Always could.
Wasn’t it only allowed to leave in a private car until recently?
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by valdor
Wasn’t it only allowed to leave in a private car until recently?
I’ve left Canada by plane many times during my quarantine since March/20. No one asked. No one cared.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I’ve left Canada by plane many times during my quarantine since March/20. No one asked. No one cared.
Your check-in questionnaire for the flights would have asked.
Bogwoppit and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by talkeryxu
I was asked if I had tested positive for covid in the prior 14 days. Not if I was under quarantine. And TSA in Canada takes your temperature at security. USA does not.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Aug 4, 2021 at 6:20 pm
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:04 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by talkeryxu
Only on AC (and maybe WS?). Not on foreign airlines.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:27 am

Programs: AC E75K
Nearly six months after starting this thread, and after nearly six months away from home, I finally returned home last Thursday (well, specifically I landed in Canada on Thursday).

FRA YUL YYC

FRA-YUL was 1h delayed leaving, waiting for connecting passengers; flight was boarded by bus in FRA (ugh) possibly due to aircraft arrival as a cargo-only flight. We gained some time flying, so we were slightly over 30 minutes late on the gate in Montreal. Concierge was waiting for us in jetbridge. There were many flights that had arrived at the same time, but we didn't have to wait on the aircraft nor before customs hall. NEXUS machines did not work (second time in YUL with this issue, not sure why) so we had to go to standard kiosks. Some waiting but not terrible, in the meantime I did notice that the top was backed up and they weren't letting people down. Officer inspected vaccination records (given that the EU Passport doesn't show date of first dose, I downloaded 1st and 2nd dose documents from the e-health portal) and the Covid test.

Baggage delivery was a huge mess, most people from the flight had not been processed through immigration, so the belt got stuck, priority bags were far from first, etc. By this time it was T-20 to our YYC departure, so we knew we had missed it. Line to exit customs was through the entire YUL baggage hall (that's a VERY long line), NEXUS was still to the right. Officers did ask whether we had NEXUS and why we didn't use it (different receipt printout, obviously), but didn't protest further. Then we got the connection test kit, went to concierge office to rebook (for the next day) and got vouchers for the Marriott in-terminal. Quite hilarious we were staying at the same Marriott that would have cost us 1500 CAD for the one-night stay a few weeks earlier. Did the "at-home" tests at the Marriott, decided on Uber for pickup as I thought that would be easier than Purolator to the hotel (plenty of experience with missed courier deliveries, etc.) but it then turned out Uber does not pick up packages at the airport (who knew?). We were going into town anyways, so I took the tests with me. Tried to order Uber pickup in town and it wanted to charge me the $50 for delivery. Resigned, I walked to a Purolator store where I was told they did not accept these boxes, that they're not allowed to and I'm "not supposed to be there". Not sure what that was about. Finally I figured out that with my Uber profile set to "business" it wasn't applying the voucher, but it worked on personal. Got the results back two days later.
YUL was a disaster the next morning, a huge lineup to wait for the aggravating & pointless temperature check before security, no priority/NEXUS. Crowds everywhere. Terrible service on YUL-YYC to top it off, but I was home after six months.
BTW I'm also getting the ArriveCAN symptom notifications/emails, which I'm ignoring. I will also get to test out leaving and possibly re-entering Canada within the initial 14 day period. Wish me luck.
Congrats on your safe (if delayed) return to the country!

If I'm reading this correctly, had you not missed the YYC connection, you would have been allowed to continue onward travel as a fully-vaccinated Canadian, right?

This information is probably out there, but the various government websites are confusing AF, and I'm trying to make an urgent routing decision due to this unexpected surprise.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:11 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by capedreamer
If I'm reading this correctly, had you not missed the YYC connection, you would have been allowed to continue onward travel as a fully-vaccinated Canadian, right?
Yes.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:14 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by airoli
Yes.
Thank you!
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Update: despite the verbiage on the travel.gc.ca website, I entered Canada 14 days after my vaccine and it went smoothly, no quarantine required, no questions asked. I don't know why the website implies it's 15 days when all other communications say it's 14 days.

In YYZ they did not even ask to see the original of my vaccine certificate. They were more interested about how much cash I was carrying, just like in the good old days.
What were your travel dates, out of curiosity? I just saw this update with the example on the travel.gc page and got stressed out as I am supposed to travel on the 14th after getting my vaccine on the 31st. Hoping your experience was the standard and that they won't be picky since they are the ones who specifically said 14 days in all of their other guidelines!
Old Aug 6, 2021, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jonathan Pires
What were your travel dates, out of curiosity? I just saw this update with the example on the travel.gc page and got stressed out as I am supposed to travel on the 14th after getting my vaccine on the 31st. Hoping your experience was the standard and that they won't be picky since they are the ones who specifically said 14 days in all of their other guidelines!
My guy at YYZ zoned in on this. I was 16 days but he started adding so you need to find out if it is 14 or 15 days.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:51 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Jonathan Pires
My vaccine was on July 17th, entry into Canada July 31st. I have no idea what this 15-day thing is on the other website but based on my experience it is not correct. I think you will be fine with 14 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.