Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2021, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I suspect this will all get easier and back to 2019 once August and September hit with foreigners except (i) the ArriveCan app and (ii) 72-hour covid tests might be here long-term. They have switched the focus from live inspection at arrival in real-time to advance review pre-arrival with the agent now just reviewing docs upon arrival.
What pre-arrival review? I uploaded my vaccination results to ArriveCAN, but there's zero evidence anyone looked at them. The agent at the counter in YVR looked through my stuff himself.

Originally Posted by escape4
I thought Canada required PCR and that rapid antigen did not qualify?
Canada requires a molecular test, of which PCR is one variety, but not the only one. NAAT and other types of tests are also acceptable. Antigen tests, whether rapid or not, do not qualify.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...getting-tested
vernonc, canadiancow and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 1:41 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Canada requires a molecular test, of which PCR is one variety, but not the only one. NAAT and other types of tests are also acceptable. Antigen tests, whether rapid or not, do not qualify.
Then I am not clear why canadiancow referred to the rapid at-home kit (which I assumed was antigen); as far as I know, none of them are of any use to enter Canada. If this is wrong I would be very interested to find out which one qualifies.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
There should be a wiki as the border is opening up on Canadian side.

I'm just wondering what types of test will be accepted, for example, at Walgreens

1. Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now)
2. Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR)
3. Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNow)

I know 2 is definitely accepted, not sure about 1 (use for Hawaii).
#1 is a NAAT test (it says on the report), so it should be accepted for entry to Canada.
seawolf, vincewy and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I thought Canada required PCR and that rapid antigen did not qualify?
Then I am not clear why canadiancow referred to the rapid at-home kit (which I assumed was antigen); as far as I know, none of them are of any use to enter Canada. If this is wrong I would be very interested to find out which one qualifies.
It was rapid NAAT. I said "expensive at-home rapid kit".

This wasn't a $20 Abbot antigen thing. It's an expensive machine that has ~$30 single-use cartridges, and spits out a nice PDF result.
escape4 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 5:34 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by canadiancow

This wasn't a $20 Abbot antigen thing. It's an expensive machine that has ~$30 single-use cartridges, and spits out a nice PDF result.
Interesting, I had no idea that there were at-home rapid tests accepted in Canada!
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I’ve used the Amazon at home PCR test kit successfully to enter Canada. If you drop off your sample at a UPS location before the last daily pickup time you get your result the next day in the afternoon (a UPS next day box is included with the kit). It’s 40$ including the shipping, requires no video call unlike the at home test in Canada and is a great option for trips to destinations where there aren’t any reliable local testing options.

Amazon Amazon
EmailKid and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:10 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt

Hi,

I plan to travel to Canada next week. May I please ask what NAAT at-home test you used? It would save me a lot of time if I could take care of this without travelling to a test center.

Thank you!
Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:15 pm
txp

Originally Posted by spartacus81
#1 is a NAAT test (it says on the report), so it should be accepted for entry to Canada.
Hi everyone,

If you attempted to enter Canada with the Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test -- ID Now, I would appreciate if you could share your experience. I plan to travel there next week.

Thank you!
Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by txp
Hi,

I plan to travel to Canada next week. May I please ask what NAAT at-home test you used? It would save me a lot of time if I could take care of this without travelling to a test center.

Thank you!
It was https://www.cuehealth.com/products/h...ects-covid-19/, but I have no idea how to acquire one as a consumer.

There are definitely other at-home tests you can get that you then FedEx to a lab.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 1:49 pm
txp

It was https://www.cuehealth.com/products/h...ects-covid-19/, but I have no idea how to acquire one as a consumer.

There are definitely other at-home tests you can get that you then FedEx to a lab.
Thank you. They seem to cater more to corporate travelers but I wrote to them to see if they can sell their test to individuals. If this does not work, I will try the Walgreens test.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by txp
Hi everyone,

If you attempted to enter Canada with the Walgreens Rapid Diagnostic Test -- ID Now, I would appreciate if you could share your experience. I plan to travel there next week.

Thank you!
The Walgreens IdNow test is fine. I have used it many times, as recently as two weeks ago. The BinaxNow home test is an antigen test. You will not be able to use it to enter Canada.

Last edited by Finkface; Jul 25, 2021 at 2:20 pm
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Finkface
IDNow is an antigen test. You will not be able to use it to enter Canada.
Wrong. IDNOW is a Rapid NAAT. I used it yesterday to enter Canada. BinaxNOW is the Rapid Antigen Test. I believe they were developed by the same company?

EDIT: Cell Phone autocorrected Antigen to Antigens. Did not realise it until afterwards.

Last edited by OSSYULYYZ; Jul 25, 2021 at 4:42 pm
txp

Originally Posted by Finkface
IDNow is an antigen test. You will not be able to use it to enter Canada.
But Spartacus81 said it was an NAAD test (see his/her post above). Which is true?
txp

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Wrong. IDNOW is a Rapid NAAT. I used it yesterday to enter Canada. BinaxNOW is the Rapid Antigens Test. I believe they were developed by the same company?
Thank you, this is very useful!
Old Jul 25, 2021, 2:17 pm
txp

Originally Posted by txp
Thank you. They seem to cater more to corporate travelers but I wrote to them to see if they can sell their test to individuals. If this does not work, I will try the Walgreens test.

Thanks again!
I just received a reply from the company. They are not selling to individuals at this time. So my best bet seems to be the Walgreens test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.