Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Her test result is irrelevant for her YOW-YVR flight.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Her test result is irrelevant for her YOW-YVR flight.

It is relevant-she needs to be quarantined until she gets a negative test- which means no non-connecting flight (ie if she had a direct connecting fllght?)

But I remain to be corrected?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
It is relevant-she needs to be quarantined until she gets a negative test- which means no non-connecting flight (ie if she had a direct connecting fllght?)

But I remain to be corrected?
If she is vaxxed and had a negative test in US prior to flight, then no quarantine required.

Just the one "on arrival" test.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
I am assuming that this would be for all passengers. YYZ uses Switch Health for the on-site test, so it would make sense if they did not use on-site testing as it would be Switch Health either way.
True, but if the line-up for the onsite testing is short, it beats having to wait in front of a screen for the tele-nurse to supervise your self-administration of the test. It also spares you from having to mail in the sample.
canadiancow and OSSYULYYZ like this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I am confused. If a fully vaccinated passenger arrives from another country (after getting PCR test 72 hours on boards), and comes to Canada- does that individual not have to self-isolate or quarantine until a a second negative covid test (?PRC, or rapid antigen test) is done and comes back negative? - whether the test is done at the airport on arrival or one is given a home test to perform?
Old Jul 30, 2021, 4:03 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Starting August 9, children under 5 only need to avoid group settings and will be exempt from quarantining and testing (before departure or after arrival) ?
Correct, though it's technically children under 12. Do note that they will need day 1 and day 8 tests.

"Unvaccinated children under 12 years of age and dependent children (due to a mental or physical condition) of fully vaccinated travellers will no longer have to complete a 14 day quarantine, but must follow strict public health measures. This includes those travelling from the U.S for discretionary purposes. This means they can move around with their parents, but must avoid group settings - such as camps or daycares - during the first 14 days after their arrival. Unvaccinated children will remain subject to the Day 1 and Day 8 testing requirements. Provinces and territories may have more stringent rules around people who have recently returned from travel. More details will be available in the coming days." (source)
Old Jul 30, 2021, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
If she is vaxxed and had a negative test in US prior to flight, then no quarantine required.

Just the one "on arrival" test.

But she was not required to do a covid test at YYZ on arrival.
She was given kit for home testing- which I understand is usually given for day 8 unvaccinated travelers?

Was the home testing kit given in error?
Old Jul 30, 2021, 4:04 am

Programs: AC SE
I am confused. If a fully vaccinated passenger arrives from another country (after getting PCR test 72 hours on boards), and comes to Canada- does that individual not have to self-isolate or quarantine until a a second negative covid test (?PRC, or rapid antigen test) is done and comes back negative? - whether the test is done at the airport on arrival or one is given a home test to perform?
No. There is no self-isolation requirement for fully-vaccinated travelers as they await that test result.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 5:14 am

No isolation necessary unless arrival test is positive. You do not have to isolate while awaiting the arrival test results.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
On the 72 hours pre-arrival testing requirement, is this based on scheduled departure time? What happens if the flight is delayed or if I get rescheduled to a later flight?
Old Jul 30, 2021, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by jetplane86
On the 72 hours pre-arrival testing requirement, is this based on scheduled departure time? What happens if the flight is delayed or if I get rescheduled to a later flight?
Land crossing is 72 hours from the time you show up at the border. So a flight delay into Buf/Sea can be a problem. For flights directly into Canada it is 72 hours from scheduled departure time so flight delays have no impact but a rescheduled flight/VDB could be a problem. Plan accordingly.
OSSYULYYZ likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Land crossing is 72 hours from the time you show up at the border. So a flight delay into Buf/Sea can be a problem. For flights directly into Canada it is 72 hours from scheduled departure time so flight delays have no impact but a rescheduled flight/VDB could be a problem. Plan accordingly.
Thank you! That's helpful.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 7:04 pm

Flew in tonight from CDG to AMS to YUL. From gate to outside at YUL in under 30 minutes. No checked bags always helps of course.

The worst part of the trip home was the PCR tests being checked before boarding at AMS, that was a hot mess of confusion. The staff were overwhelmed and boarding took forever. Flight departed late as bags had to be unloaded due to passengers not having the correct paperwork. There was quite a lot of drama with passengers arguing with staff, tears and yelling. Ugh. KLM flight was about half full.

At YUL there were lots of staff directing flow, as Nexus pass holders went right through in minutes. Blue sticker put on back of passport at passport control, and we waived that at the many staff as we made our way to the Marriott hotel for the covid testing. They had 10 people doing registration, we had done this ahead and there was no wait. We were given the testing "passport" and told to expect results wth in 72 hours.

The airport certainly felt busier than when we left two weeks ago.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Dutch Yellow Book accepted as English proof of vaccination?

Since the proof of vaccination has to be in English or French, I'd like to confirm whether anyone knows if the Dutch yellow booklet is accepted. It's quite a basic booklet and the legend is both in Dutch and English. Then it has two simple Pfizer stamps with dates and a signature. Would that suffice, or should there be details of the vaccine batch number and name (Comirnaty)? Those last 2 are not in the booklet but only on a different paper which is mostly in Dutch.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:47 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Update: despite the verbiage on the travel.gc.ca website, I entered Canada 14 days after my vaccine and it went smoothly, no quarantine required, no questions asked. I don't know why the website implies it's 15 days when all other communications say it's 14 days.

if your last dose was anytime on Thursday July 1st, then Friday July 16th would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
In YYZ they did not even ask to see the original of my vaccine certificate. They were more interested about how much cash I was carrying, just like in the good old days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.