Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by yerffej201
when was this published?
I think an hour before I posted it. At least that's when various members of the press started tweeting it.

Per Global's Abigail Bimman:

Federal gov't response to panel's recommendation says strict measures are working, no change as of yet: "The Government of Canada will also consider the Panel's recommendations to determine how testing and quarantine strategies should evolve to address vaccination status."
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Pertaining specifically to quarantine hotels, in this CBC article about the above-reference report, there is this little gem:

"Asked earlier today whether it was time to eliminate quarantine hotels, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau suggested Canadians should expect them to be around for some time to come."There is a point at which we are going to be able to say [quarantine hotels should be eliminated]. When that point arrives, it will be based on the best advice of scientists, doctors, of epidemiologists," Trudeau said.

"When the time comes we all look forward to that, but it's still not time for non-essential travel.""

Personally I think the gov't will probably accept the panels proposals to a large degree. I also think they don't want to do it now as they haven't prepared a full press release.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Pertaining specifically to quarantine hotels, in this CBC article about the above-reference report, there is this little gem:

"Asked earlier today whether it was time to eliminate quarantine hotels, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau suggested Canadians should expect them to be around for some time to come."There is a point at which we are going to be able to say [quarantine hotels should be eliminated]. When that point arrives, it will be based on the best advice of scientists, doctors, of epidemiologists," Trudeau said.

"When the time comes we all look forward to that, but it's still not time for non-essential travel.""

Personally I think the gov't will probably accept the panels proposals to a large degree. I also think they don't want to do it now as they haven't prepared a full press release.
yes and of course the best advice from scientists, doctors, and epidemiologists were considered when launching this hotel quarantine
mrgoodkat likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
Just booked a room for when I get back to Canada in two weeks. As per the government website the hotel confirmation email should include an alphanumeric reference code which I need to enter in the ArriveCAN app. Not seeing an alphanumeric code in my confirmation email. The email only contains the standard numeric confirmation number.

Trying to figure out if the regular confirmation number is good enough or if I should contact the hotel to get that alphanumeric reference code mentioned in the hotel stopover instructions.
Old May 28, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by SweFlyer
Just booked a room for when I get back to Canada in two weeks. As per the government website the hotel confirmation email should include an alphanumeric reference code which I need to enter in the ArriveCAN app. Not seeing an alphanumeric code in my confirmation email. The email only contains the standard numeric confirmation number.

Trying to figure out if the regular confirmation number is good enough or if I should contact the hotel to get that alphanumeric reference code mentioned in the hotel stopover instructions.
Since you seem to be able to book even on arrival - I suppose you can leave the field blank. When I traveled, I used their Government Amex agency - - and so I had the code - basically - It is the PNR reference from the GDS that they are using. Can't remember if it is Sabre/Amadeus or what.
SweFlyer likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Asking for your honest opinion here
https://www.thestar.com/politics/2021/05/27/have-your-say-should-canada-do-away-with-quarantine-hotels.html
jackmaninov likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC MM
I just voted.

If the hotel quarantine's purpose was to keep people from traveling, it was certainly a success.
Since travel to most countries will now be very much dependent on vaccinations, I wonder if the slow process of getting the 2nd dose is another one.
Here in BC we only get a "business card" as proof of vaccination which I doubt will be accepted anywhere else in the world for proof of vaccination.

I do hope that the hotel quarantine will be eliminated and I have no problem with the at home quarantine though it would be nice if it will be shortened, especially when already fully vaccinated.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Vote is pretty one-sided so far . . . I think this hotel program will go away before too long . . maybe even before the June 21 rollover date . . As for the rest of the recommendations? I would expect it will be by August we see most of them in place.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/qua...ajdu-1.6042490
makes me want to pull my hair out 😬
jackmaninov likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC MM
Sadly not unexpected though have hoped for a different outcome.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
It's 100% politics, 0% science.
They know the hotel quarantine makes no sense but they don't want to get rid of it without the backing of the provinces, which will certainly blame the federal for a potential 4th wave linked to the summer re-openings...
jackmaninov likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
It's 100% politics, 0% science.
They know the hotel quarantine makes no sense but they don't want to get rid of it without the backing of the provinces, which will certainly blame the federal for a potential 4th wave linked to the summer re-openings...
They can't just do a 180 and end it all because it would make them look bad for coming up with the idea to start with. I think we will see a gradual easing of entry restrictions over the summer as more people get vaccinated.
LETTERBOY and mhodge like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Now that the expert panel has suggested closing the program I think the constitutional case against them has legs. What argument can the crown put forward?
Old May 31, 2021, 1:27 pm

Would a court case proceed faster than the natural expiration of the program?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smes
Now that the expert panel has suggested closing the program I think the constitutional case against them has legs. What argument can the crown put forward?
Don't you think it'd be smart for the government to get out ahead of the case and end the hotel quarantine before a judge might? With it being inevitable regardless, I could see it making sense to announce something the day before... Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.