Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Bartolo
It was bound to happen. On the 11 am (EDT) news today CBC had an item about suspected Covid transmission at one one of the Toronto area quarantine hotels. Being investigated.
Better to have the transmission identified at a quarantine facility where contacts can be more easily traced instead of a COVID positive traveller roaming at large.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Better to have the transmission identified at a quarantine facility where contacts can be more easily traced instead of a COVID positive traveller roaming at large.
Except the person wouldnt be roaming at large but quarantining at home infecting noone.

Now they exposed others because of this idiotic program.
Yul_voyager, Finkface, gei and 2 others like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 3:42 pm

Is the purpose of the quarantine hotel program to reduce the spread of the virus directly, or discourage out-of-country travel?
Old May 1, 2021, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by kalderlake
Is the purpose of the quarantine hotel program to reduce the spread of the virus directly, or discourage out-of-country travel?
Yes.
kalderlake and ols_flyer like this.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:00 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by kalderlake
Also to bail out hotels that are not getting any revenue lately.
Old May 2, 2021, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks, in order to offer as much value to members coming here for information, let's please try and refrain from general virus or quarantine commentary.

Regards,

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: AC SE
I am looking for clarity on what the procedure is when a family member returns from overseas travel and has to quarantine with the family. My daughter has returned from college in the US and at the border was told she must go straight to her place of quarantine and remain there for 14 days. Nothing was said about the other members of the family.

I went to Canada.ca's "How to Quarantine" page and saw this: "Mandatory quarantine only applies to travellers who have entered Canada." Which would make you assume there is nothing the rest of the family is obligated to do. But then it goes on to say this:
She will not be maintaining complete distance from us as it's not feasible in our home, and the document doesn't tell us how that impacts us. Now, we aren't going anywhere or doing anything these days--none of us needs to be in a group or public setting. We would not go into any setting where the screening questions include "Have you been around someone who has travelled in the past 14 days?" But can we go for walks? Can we do curbside pickup at a store?

Has anyone in a similar situation received definitive guidance on this?

(Mods: I inadvertently put this in a thread that isn't the best fit; feel free to move it.)

Last edited by TheCanuckian; May 3, 2021 at 6:42 am
Old May 3, 2021, 5:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I am looking for clarity on what the procedure is when a family member returns from overseas travel and has to quarantine with the family. My daughter has returned from college in the US and at the border was told she must go straight to her place of quarantine and remain there for 14 days. Nothing was said about the other members of the family.

I went to Canada.ca's "How to Quarantine" page and saw this: "Mandatory quarantine only applies to travellers who have entered Canada." Which would make you assume there is nothing the rest of the family is obligated to do. But then it goes on to say this:
She will not be maintaining complete distance from us as it's not feasible in our home, and the document doesn't tell us how that impacts us. Now, we aren't going anywhere or doing anything these days--none of us needs to be in a group or public setting. We would not go into any setting where the screening questions include "Have you been around someone who has travelled in the past 14 days?" But can we go for walks? Can we do curbside pickup at a store?

Has anyone in a similar situation received definitive guidance on this?
She cannot quarantine with you if you will not be maintaining complete distance from you. Unless you also quarantine with her but that means you will not be able to leave the house. So no curtsied pickup at a store. You cannot go for walks.
Old May 3, 2021, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
She cannot quarantine with you if you will not be maintaining complete distance from you. Unless you also quarantine with her but that means you will not be able to leave the house. So no curtsied pickup at a store. You cannot go for walks.
Are you certain of that? It was my understanding as well, but I don't see that anywhere in the documentation. She was not told that or give any information about it at the border; it's nowhere on the official site.
Old May 3, 2021, 6:47 am

This is completely false. I have quarantined with my family with no problems or adverse affects on them.
zrh2yvr likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
This is completely false. I have quarantined with my family with no problems or adverse affects on them.
Have they left the house while you have quarantined with them or have they followed the same rules as the traveller?

I was under the impression they had to follow the same rules once close contact had been made, but then saw that line about how quarantine applies only to people who have travelled.
Old May 3, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Read the post. Their daughter cannot quarantine with them because they will not have separate quarters for the entire time. Obviously one cannot quarantine with other people if they share common spaces and the other people in the household go out in the community.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Guys,

Do we need a laptop to communicate with the nurse on 8th day of quarantine for swab testing?

Would prefer not to bring one. Will a mobile device work just as well?

Thanks
Old May 3, 2021, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by supatight80
Guys,

Do we need a laptop to communicate with the nurse on 8th day of quarantine for swab testing?

Would prefer not to bring one. Will a mobile device work just as well?

Thanks
Mobile devices work. Just be sure you check the browser recommendations.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Read the post. Their daughter cannot quarantine with them because they will not have separate quarters for the entire time. Obviously one cannot quarantine with other people if they share common spaces and the other people in the household go out in the community.
Maybe it's not ideal but still possible. You can wear a mask when you are in the same room, open windows as much as possible, and don't eat at the same time.
When I had to quarantine at home, PHAC asked me what we did to keep distances and they were happy with doing it as much as possible and wearing mask otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.