Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Shadowunt3r
Never saw you mentioning that you flew to YVR But wow...one way to handle it. Quite a mess indeed.

Not the best news either...
Just read in the German counterpart of FT that according to LifeLabs it would be possible to opt out of this farce and have a 200$ rapid test done off-site the airport, which would free you from quarantine. Can anyone confirm that? How would this work in practice if you're selected for a random test? Just show the appointment and tell them good bye? Sounds too easy, imho.
Interesting, I think that a few people asked this in the thread already? And not surprised, there was a lot of Germans really angry as we were all shuffled into a tiny area and staff were telling people to move forward and fill all the empty space. Several Germans pointed out how easy it is for us to get tested in Germany (for free), and that shoving us all into a tiny space was counterproductive to preventing spread. It was definitely a very big cultural difference to see how we handle flying/testing in Germany, vs how Canada handles it.

So you are correct, over on vielflegertreff there is a reply from LifeLabs that indeed the rush test will release one from quarantine. Thanks for the heads up, although I'm curious to see replies here.

Also seeing posts of people being told that the 'norm' is now 6-8 days to be expected.
Shadowunt3r likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lily23
I arrived to YVR from London UK on the 9th. I was told I was randomly selected for testing after they asked where I'd been and what I had been doing (London, holidays, etc.), so it doesn't look like they're testing every foreigner. It was actually pretty quick, I was one of the first people off the plane and had pre-registered with LifeLabs so there were no lines to get the test requisition form printed or to do the actual test. Plane landed at 7:20 pm, and I was out of the airport at 7:45 pm. Still no results though! The person testing said it would be 1-3 days but we'll see...will update when I finally receive the results.
Update: I received an email that my results are ready around ~12:30 pm so around 40 hours for results. HOWEVER - the online portal isn't working, and neither is the support number (busy ringtone, then auto disconnects), so there's no way for me to actually get the results....not sure why Lifelabs doesn't just email the results like every other normal place.
LETTERBOY and Shadowunt3r like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:42 pm

I suggested using the Switch PCR LAMP test kit as a release method over on the Air Canada forum and was told I was a lunatic. But an arriving passenger, at YUL, was told by Dynacare, after 5 days, that she should pay for a private test if she could not wait any longer.

My plan is to give Dynacare 48 hours to get the results to us, if not we use the Switch kits, to release us. I am sure it would stand up in court.

Though I do not return until March, maybe this dumpster fire will improve by then. But the Switch kits are waiting for me at home, just in case.

I am happy to test, I am happy to show a negative test, I am not happy to be a guinea pig in the game.

Last edited by Bogwoppit; Jan 12, 2022 at 5:12 am
Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by lily23
.not sure why Lifelabs doesn't just email the results like every other normal place.
Data privacy - they do not want to send test results over unencrypted email. Dynacare in YUL does the same: They send you an email telling you that your results are now available if you log in to their portal.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Shadowunt3r
Never saw you mentioning that you flew to YVR But wow...one way to handle it. Quite a mess indeed.

Not the best news either...
Just read in the German counterpart of FT that according to LifeLabs it would be possible to opt out of this farce and have a 200$ rapid test done off-site the airport, which would free you from quarantine. Can anyone confirm that? How would this work in practice if you're selected for a random test? Just show the appointment and tell them good bye? Sounds too easy, imho.
$150 + $50 is the rush fee for a NAAT and only at the one location by YVR apparently.

BUT we don't know if that will release you. feel free I guess to pay the $200 and let us know?

BUT also most LifeLabs locations have closed down for at least two weeks now in BC apparently (along with imaging centres) So no idea what that will mean for their testing program ie even longer waits now? I cannot fathom a place where the vast majority of places to perform medical tests, scans, xrays, etc are shut down for two whole weeks, so imagine that they may divert staff/resources to cover critical things?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by exbayern
$150 + $50 is the rush fee for a NAAT and only at the one location by YVR apparently.

BUT we don't know if that will release you. feel free I guess to pay the $200 and let us know?

BUT also most LifeLabs locations have closed down for at least two weeks now in BC apparently (along with imaging centres) So no idea what that will mean for their testing program ie even longer waits now? I cannot fathom a place where the vast majority of places to perform medical tests, scans, xrays, etc are shut down for two whole weeks, so imagine that they may divert staff/resources to cover critical things?
Since the other guy in VFT hasn't answered yet I will go and ask LifeLabs myself, making sure they get the question 100% right (hopefully ).

Sounds very promising what you state above...what a sh*tshow, really. Let's see...
exbayern likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I wonder how many people are actually waiting, dilligently isolating, on their results, since really there is no follow up or enforcement of any kind.
After all, even if you actually have covid, you are free to roam the streets after 5 days.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I wonder how many people are actually waiting, dilligently isolating, on their results, since really there is no follow up or enforcement of any kind.
After all, even if you actually have covid, you are free to roam the streets after 5 days.
In terms of following the rules to the letter (including calling that number every day to report your symptoms), I would guess under 5%.
In terms of just isolating at home until negative results, I would guess under 33%.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Not to go out on a limb but I can confirm that I was not selected for any testing at YYC on December 27. Was travelling with my other half. As we were going to YYC for only 3 days we had already basically decided in advance that we would 100% ignore the quarantine and would not wait. We had appointments all day on day one and only had such a short time an uncertain wait would be impossible. I have 100% obeyed every one until this date but frankly, would probably not do it ever again. So - answering your question - I wonder why anyone is waiting?

Reading down the thread a bit - I also do see the German's point of view. We look 100% disorganized and they can see through and wonder what this is all about. Also - if results were like clockwork - overnight - I would basically wait for sure - but an uncertain wait time - forget it. We did arrival tests in UK (which we paid for) and like clockwork - they were received by noon from a 9pm test.

Who is getting rich at Switch and seriously Life Labs - you owe British Columbia a new hospital on your $$$$ based on the crazy unheard of revenues you have made in the past 18 months.
exbayern, quandide, mhodge and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
I suggested using the Switch PCR LAMP test kit as a release method over on the Air Canada forum and was told I was a lunatic. But an arriving passenger, at YUL, was told by Dynacare, after 5 days, that she should pay for a private test if she could not wait any longer.

My plan is to give Dynacare 48 hours to get the results to us, if not we use the Switch kits, to release us. I am sure it would stand up in court.

Though I do not return until March, maybe this dumpster fire will improve by then. But the Switch kits are waiting for me at home, just in case.

I am happy to test, I am happy to show a negative test, I am not happy to be a guinea pig in the game.
Pretty sure no one called you a lunatic. But as it stands, your approach using the Switch test kit as a release mechanism is highly unlikely to work otherwise don't you think they would have made it an option?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Dr. Chagla is an Infectious Diseases Physician at St. Joe's Hamilton / Associate Professor at McMaster University.

See his tweet.

Some interesting comments follow in his thread including these

rankourabu and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cerberus
Pretty sure no one called you a lunatic. But as it stands, your approach using the Switch test kit as a release mechanism is highly unlikely to work otherwise don't you think they would have made it an option?

I am past caring at this point. I will do the test kit if airport results do not come back in 48 hours. I will have a negative PCR test result on my phone if anyone asks for it.

This has become nothing more than window dressing.
exbayern and zrh2yvr like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Last summer, Americans were flying from NYC to SFO to renew passports because there are no appointments except across the country and they have a $20k, family-of-5 vacation to salvage.

This winter, looks like Canadians ready to drive in their own cars back from Buffalo/Detroit/Seattle/Bellingham should consider similar extreme measures to secure in-time PCR tests by buying a round trip ticket to airports with onsite labs such as LAX.
zrh2yvr likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Some very interesting quotes from doctors... and the Feds.

CBC News Posted: Jan 13, 2022

Ottawa is funding COVID-19 PCR tests for hundreds of thousands of travellers. Is it worth it?

Although Omicron has spread across Canada, the government continues to do mass arrival testing of travellers

Also note the section "Get rid of all PCR tests for travellers?"

QUOTES:

"What's really clear is that COVID is everywhere and that it's not travel that's the major source of spread," said Dr. David Carr, an emergency medicine professor in the Division of Emergency Medicine at the University of Toronto.

"Making people repeat their PCR [test] upon arrival is deflecting resources away from where they could be better spent."

"Carr suggested that instead of demanding international travellers take two PCR tests, one 72 hours before arrival and one upon arrival, a more efficient use of resources might be to mandate travellers take a rapid antigen test right before boarding their flight.

Although PCR tests can be more accurate, antigen tests are much cheaper, don't have to be sent to a lab and can provide results within minutes. Travellers sometimes must wait days for PCR test results.

"If we're trying to make flying safer, I would rather fly in a plane of people who had a rapid test within the last 12 or 24 hours than a PCR in the last 72," said Carr."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tra...ment-1.6311868
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by 24left
Some very interesting quotes from doctors... and the Feds.

Why does Canada insist on remaining an outlier here?

To enter the U.S., air passengers need to take only one test which can be a rapid antigen test no more than 1 day before travelling. Last week, England scrapped its COVID-19 pre-arrival test requirement for fully vaccinated travellers and changed the rules so they only have to take a rapid test after they arrive.

Last month, the Public Health Agency of Canada told CBC News that it doesn't accept rapid antigen tests for travellers because they are less sensitive than molecular tests.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.