Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Now the NHL players have been given an exemption from quarantine rules and hotel jail.

I should pack a hockey stick and talk with a Russian accent (comes natural to me).
Old Jun 7, 2021, 5:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Now the NHL players have been given an exemption from quarantine rules and hotel jail.

I should pack a hockey stick and talk with a Russian accent (comes natural to me).
I'm sure hockey players are very responsible and don't have ''visitors'' in their hotel room every night. Makes a lot of sense to exempt them.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
common sense

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Is this with Biron or something separately with YUL? Can you provide a link?

EDIT: https://www.biron.com/en/laboratory/covid-19/travel/
Instead of wasting boatload of $ on these programs, have a reasonbly/subsidized/free test on arrival that is returned within a few hours. Keep passengers in a holding area (quick turnaroiund time is key) and if test positive, off to isolaton they go and if not, then home. Am I foolish to think this would not be better? 1 to 2% infection rate will attract a hotel stay (who pays to be determined) and let everyone else go home to isolate at home
Yul_voyager likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by testycal
Instead of wasting boatload of $ on these programs, have a reasonbly/subsidized/free test on arrival that is returned within a few hours
The problem with this plan is that we would run out of fast tests within like a week if arrivals were allowed to return to normal levels and everyone would get rapid-tested
Its easier to keep the jails around.

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
I'm sure hockey players are very responsible and don't have ''visitors'' in their hotel room every night. Makes a lot of sense to exempt them.
If only it was just the players - families and team staff are coming too. And all on the honour system.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:42 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by testycal
Instead of wasting boatload of $ on these programs, have a reasonbly/subsidized/free test on arrival that is returned within a few hours.
Problem is that this was set up to discourage people from traveling. We all know it's not about safety other than temporarily eliminate all "nonessential" travel.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The problem with this plan is that we would run out of fast tests within like a week if arrivals were allowed to return to normal levels and everyone would get rapid-tested
Naw, see my reply to testycal above.
wrp96, leoo, jackmaninov and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 9:40 am

I'm with Emailkid here. I don't think flight numbers would have gone up to an unmanageable number, too many other destinations have restrictions, too many Canadians are still irrationally scared of the virus, and the cost of testing alone is often a deterrent.

Even if rapid PCR testing supply were an issue, those tests could be reserved for travellers with an onward connection. Those whose final destination is the point of entry and vicinity can have the swab at the airport and await their result in the safety of their home quarantine.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Is the above even a consideration? Obviously the quarantine hotels were purely punitive. Anybody who believes otherwise is supremely naive.
leoo, gei and jackmaninov like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I'm with Emailkid here. I don't think flight numbers would have gone up to an unmanageable number, too many other destinations have restrictions, too many Canadians are still irrationally scared of the virus, and the cost of testing alone is often a deterrent.

Even if rapid PCR testing supply were an issue, those tests could be reserved for travellers with an onward connection. Those whose final destination is the point of entry and vicinity can have the swab at the airport and await their result in the safety of their home quarantine.
I'm sure airports and airlines would be more than happy to help with that if entry restrictions were relaxed and more people could travel. After all, the government has had a lot of experience making businesses do the work for them over the last year.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok, so checking in on the numbers.
We have 9,2 million rapid tests that have not yet been deployed and are listed as emergency supply.
We have an additional 16 million rapid tests that have been distributed to their final point-of-care setting where they will be administered to patients. (only 4 million have been used so far which is another issue)

Assuming we have ~45000 Canadian air arrivals a day (pre pandemic numbers discounting for ~10,000 foreigners) according to statscan
That means we have the capacity to have enough rapid tests for only 200 days assuming they all get used for air travel - not other uses, and not land borders.

In other words, maybe rapid testing will come to the border since we seem to have millions of unused fast tests? But maybe the supply is just too small to use these for travel, since the numbers above dont even account for land crossings or foreigners coming in.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I got a call yesterday from the assistant to the Liberal MP for my riding where my house is in Greater Vancouver. He said he was checking in with constituents to see how they were doing and if there was anything he wanted me to bring to the MP’s attention. We spoke for about half an hour, mostly about the hotel quarantine issue and from what he said, it seems fairly certain that they do plan to drop the mandatory hotel portion for vaxxed travellers for the next OIC. I hope he is correct.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:49 am

I just noticed that PHAC has released some useful data as of May 28. The positivity rate for airport-tested arrivals plummeted to 0.4% in May (since the India travel ban). Right in line with my speculative math from a couple of days ago.

One of the justifications for not having the hotel quarantine at the land border was the very low positivity rate there (0.3%). These new numbers could provide a reason for the Feds to start phasing it out and a chance to save face by claiming it's data/science based.

jackmaninov likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I just noticed that PHAC has released some useful data as of May 28. The positivity rate for airport-tested arrivals plummeted to 0.4% in May (since the India travel ban). Right in line with my speculative math from a couple of days ago.

One of the justifications for not having the hotel quarantine at the land border was the very low positivity rate there (0.3%). These new numbers could provide a reason for the Feds to start phasing it out and a chance to save face by claiming it's data/science based.

Main reason the air arrival positive test rate dropping is the stiff punishment for those who showed a fake -ve test?
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
Main reason the air arrival positive test rate dropping is the stiff punishment for those who showed a fake -ve test?
No, as mentioned main reason for the drop in the air arrival positive test is the disallowing of flights (and more importantly tests) from country(ies) where a negative test can easily be bought.

There has to be a reason why PHAC is now publishing the numbers, perhaps to counter any offensive coming from those who will go on an offensive when the jails are dropped.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:41 pm

No, as mentioned main reason for the drop in the air arrival positive test is the disallowing of flights (and more importantly tests) from country(ies) where a negative test can easily be bought.

There has to be a reason why PHAC is now publishing the numbers, perhaps to counter any offensive coming from those who will go on an offensive when the jails are dropped.
I think that's what tentseller was really getting at. Sadly, the people actually punished were the vast majority of Indians who played by the rules.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
That means we have the capacity to have enough rapid tests for only 200 days assuming they all get used for air travel - not other uses, and not land borders.
And zero new tests being produced / delivered during those 200 days...

Surely, test supplies are not going to be an issue anymore if there is a political will. And as others have pointed out, travellers could be made to pay $200 for it and would still be much better off than with the hotel prisons. So there wouldn't be a financial hit to the Canadian taxpayer either.

Last edited by airoli; Jun 7, 2021 at 1:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.